Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best Place For 223 Ammo

Where do you guys get your 223 ammo and at what price?

I will be getting my AR this week and I want to find the best deals on semi-decent ammunition in the Berks County area. However, if cheap ammo can be obtained in a surrounding area (within around 30 miles), please post that as well.

I just bought 4 boxes of Remington UMC at Wal-Mart but it was pretty expensive ($5.34/box of 20).

Last edited by danp; January 3rd, 2010 at 07:28 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Best Place For 223 Ammo

Last 2 purchases were at Kinsey's in Mt Joy about 2 months ago 1,000 rounds of Wolf (steel case polymer coated) for $149.00 And at Backwoods outfitters Wolf (Brass case 200 rounds)$49.00
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Allegheny County)

If you plan to shoot a fair amount, buy bulk.

Online try the following sites.

Ammoman
    Aimsurplus
    Natchezss.com
    Ammunitionstore
    Ammohead
    Midway USA
    Sportsmans guide--I hate these people and had my name taken off their mailing list but perhaps others have had no problems. I ordered 2k Wolf 223, got a confirmation #. A week later I get snailmail telling me the price jumped $40/K. They would not honor their price. (understand they write that they can do this at any time but it really pi$$ed me off so I'll pay more but will no longer do business with them).

Dicks has bulk pricing on differing calibers occasionally.
    I've never tried Cabella's or sportsman's warehouse

There are others I'm sure will be posted.

Maybe do a search and other distributers will come up.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

1) you won't find "cheap" 223 ammo in the area...ALL ammo has gone up several times this year due to fuel cost and material cost...buy in bulk. I'd suggest internet order...and I"m not talking ammoman in NJ...his prices aren't that great, but it does include "free" shipping.

2)IMO, why shoot wolf ammo through an expensive AR? I never understood why people spend close to 1k on an AR only to shoot cheap wolf through it??? Buy a quality AR and use quality ammo. I know Dan uses wolf through his M16, but that makes sense because shooting FA gets expensive using brass cased 223.

I recommend Black Hills blue box...that's their remanufactured ammo...very consistent...best bulk ammo. BH has FMJ, HP and Vmax bullets...Vmax bullets being my favorite.

John aka Seneca Arms sells the Guat 223 ammo for I believe $6 for 30 rounds...Guat ammo is pretty good.

Hornady 223 ammo is top knotch. Their TAP ammo is good stuff.

If you are going to shoot a lot...I would suggest looking into reloading...you can save tons of money by loading your own...get a progressive press if you are going to shoot a lot...a single stage will take forever to load in order to feed an AR.

I have a bunch of BH ammo I might consider selling...drop me an IM or come into the chat room...you can find me in chat a lot.

(Berks County)

Cabelas has bulk Wolf in those big green plastic boxes. Not sure of recent prices, but they should be close to the norm.

I usually only hit Cabelas when I have a coupon, or they have a sale, keep an eye on the sunday paper for flyers and ads.

Recent coupon I had was $20 off any purchase over $150....I loaded up on reloading stuff myself.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    2)IMO, why shoot wolf ammo through an expensive AR? I never understood why people spend close to 1k on an AR only to shoot cheap wolf through it??? Buy a quality AR and use quality ammo. I know Dan uses wolf through his M16, but that makes sense because shooting FA gets expensive using brass cased 223.
    I've seen this mentioned so many times but I've still never seen anyone say what is so wrong with Wolf ammo. It's a tad dirty but other than that I see no problems with it.

A long time ago Wolf ammo used to have Lacquered cases which caused all sorts of problems, but they switched to a polymer coating long ago which solved that problem.

Aside from being a bit dirty I dunno what's wrong with Wolf.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    I've seen this mentioned so many times but I've still never seen anyone say what is so wrong with Wolf ammo. It's a tad dirty but other than that I see no problems with it.

A long time ago Wolf ammo used to have Lacquered cases which caused all sorts of problems, but they switched to a polymer coating long ago which solved that problem.

Aside from being a bit dirty I dunno what's wrong with Wolf.
    I have heard a lot of the same complaints about Wolf, but it seems that a lot of people just post negative reviews of Wolf without mentioning that they are referring to the old Wolf. It appears that most of the complaints are about the OLD Wolf, not the new polymer-coated Wolf.

As for the whole "buy expensive gun, use expensive ammo" argument, I don't agree with it. I love shooting a lot, but i'm a student so funds are limited. Sometimes you're looking at the difference between $170 and $270. If I can find some decent ammo in bulk then i'll use it even if it makes my gun dirty. I'm going to clean it when I get home anyway.

(Bucks County)

Best source for this information:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=222888

I think the Brit Radway Green is still the best deal out there.

It's because the casing that Wolf uses beats up the AR chambers. I don't know anyone that uses Wolf...but what I can say is that you won't get the best accuracy from Wolf....Wolf Gold is a different story, but then again it's not made by Wolf but by Privi Partisan in Serbia.

I know lots of people who shoot Wolf...those same people will tell you what I've mentioned...that it's not very accurate ammo...to plink it's alright, but if you are going to spend 600+ on a rifle...why not feed it good ammo?

I might be odd by wanting the best accuracy out of my firearms. I also shoot my rifles with scopes because I want to know what my rifles will do with glass and good ammo. That is the only way I will truly know what the weapon is capable of doing at a known distance. I am not one to just send lead down range...for some that's their thing...which is fine...for me...I prefer to use my range sessions to learn about my shooting skills and my equipment.

I don't have to have the top dollar items, but I do know that sometimes "you get what you pay for" and I believe that this is one of those times when it comes to accuracy. I know that the new wolf is a polymer finished casing, so it functions better than the green laquor a few years ago. I just looked at Wolf prices on ammoman...everything is costing more...so if Wolf works for you...go for it...I just know that it's not as good as Black Hills.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    ....Wolf Gold is a different story, but then again it's not made by Wolf but by Privi Partisan in Serbia.
    Actually Wolf doesn't make a thing. Wolf is the import company. They just contract it out and slap their name on the box.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast