Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Concealed Carry Permit in NY, Moving to PA

I have a concealed carry pistol permit in NY state, but as of January 1, I will be changing my permanent residence to PA (Pittsburgh). I'm assuming that the NY permit does me no good in PA, since there is no reciprocity agreement...so I'm guessing I will have to apply for a PA LTCF permit from scratch? While this process is underway, can I continue to house the guns in NYS (in my parents' home, my soon-to-be-former residence) or can I take them to PA, but just not carry them? Thank you for any help!!!

Default Re: Concealed Carry Permit in NY, Moving to PA

Quote Originally Posted by pantherchick85 View Post
    I have a concealed carry pistol permit in NY state, but as of January 1, I will be changing my permanent residence to PA (Pittsburgh). I'm assuming that the NY permit does me no good in PA, since there is no reciprocity agreement...so I'm guessing I will have to apply for a PA LTCF permit from scratch? While this process is underway, can I continue to house the guns in NYS (in my parents' home, my soon-to-be-former residence) or can I take them to PA, but just not carry them? Thank you for any help!!!
    Others will chime in with links to applicable law, but you will find owning and carrying a firearm in PA is going to be much less of a hassle than in NY. Welcome to PA.
    JUles

(Chester County)

I would suggest that you bring the guns with you WHILE you are moving. I can't speak to NY's laws but there is no problem in Pa provided you transport under the exception 18 Pa CSA 6106(b)(8):
    (8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another ...
    See the entire 6106 section here:
    http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...out-a-license/

You also are OK as far as Federal law pursuant to an ATF interpretation provided that moving is done 'with household goods'.

Prolonged storage out of state after the completion of the move borders on a gray area concerning 18 USC 922(a)(3) and might require you to formally 'transfer' the firearms through an FFL - hence my recommendation to bring them here during the moving process.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Haha, yeah, that's definitely the vibe I'm getting so far. The process to get a permit in NYS is BRUTAL! You'd think a NYS permit would be honored anywhere, considering how many hoops you have to jump through. Anyway, I'm mostly worried about the technicalities involved during the transition period...I don't think I'm allowed to transport my guns across state lines under the NYS permit...

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to Pittsburgh and enjoy your new freedoms.

(Montgomery County)

Haha, yeah, that's definitely the vibe I'm getting so far. The process to get a permit in NYS is BRUTAL! You'd think a NYS permit would be honored anywhere, considering how many hoops you have to jump through. Anyway, I'm mostly worried about the technicalities involved during the transition period...I don't think I'm allowed to transport my guns across state lines under the NYS permit...
    In pa ANY USA state licence allows you to carry in a vehicle, ANY [citation needed]. Carry it open on your hip, print out the statue that someone will post here. When you get out of the car make sure it is visible AND don't get out of your car in Philadelphia as your ny permit won't give you the exemption needed for open carry in philladelphia. Otherwise your legal as you cam carry on a vehicle legally and anyone that can legally own a gun can open carry everywhere a firearm is not prohibited except in Philadelphia. Stay away from open carry near school zones as your licence is not issued from this state and some might argue that your not exempted from the illegal federal ban on firearms in school zones.

Oh and ny state law doesn't apply once you cross the border only pa law but look to find a statue that says that your permit is only valid in ny. I never saw that in any my law I've read but they are not always easily found. New Hampshirs recently just invalidated their permit for the holders home state regardless of reciprocity.

P.S. can someone find the law for me on my iPhone.
    Last edited by whoshisface; December 24th, 2010 at 12:40 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    In pa ANY USA state licence allows you to carry in a vehicle, ANY [citation needed]. Carry it open on your hip, print out the statue that someone will post here. When you get out of the car make sure it is visible AND don't get out of your car in Philadelphia as your ny permit won't give you the exemption needed for open carry in philladelphia. Otherwise your legal as you cam carry on a vehicle legally and anyone that can legally own a gun can open carry everywhere a firearm is not prohibited except in Philadelphia. Stay away from open carry near school zones as your licence is not issued from this state and some might argue that your not exempted from the illegal federal ban on firearms in school zones.

18 Pa CSA 6106 (b) exceptions:

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    I seem to recall there may be a timing issue since I saw somewhere that the NY license is voided upon moving out-of-state and had to be surrendered. Anyone clarify/confirm.
    IANAL

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post

Oh and ny state law doesn't apply once you cross the border only pa law but look to find a statue that says that your permit is only valid in ny. I never saw that in any my law I've read but they are not always easily found. New Hampshirs recently just invalidated their permit for the holders home state regardless of reciprocity.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license
    (a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    ... ... ...

ETA: oof, too slow
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    18 Pa CSA 6106 (b) exceptions:

I seem to recall there may be a timing issue since I saw somewhere that the NY license is voided upon moving out-of-state and had to be surrendered. Anyone clarify/confirm.
    That's true but I would argue I'm not a full resident of another state legally for (I think 30-90 days who the hell knows those laws are always vague) and if you're in the process of moving you typically still own or have rental rights to the property you are moving from for at least the rest of that day. Typically people don't move out at 11:59pm the last day of renting or the second their house closes, hence he's still a resident of NY until he legally sets up shop in PA.

However good attention to detail here. thanks for bringing it up.

Oh and never ever turn your NY permit in. At the very least it's a great momento . :-)

Shit iPhones blow I love the auto correct that picks completely wrong words and doesn't help at all when you don't know the spelling of a word.
    Last edited by whoshisface; December 24th, 2010 at 12:52 AM.

(Allegheny County)

One important detail I forgot to mention - the guns that I would be taking to PA are not yet transferred onto my NYS permit (they are currently registered under my uncle's permit, and he now wishes to transfer them to me). I was originally planning to take care of that this week since I have some time off for the holidays. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I want to make sure all my i's are dotted and t's crossed...should I just bypass the step of registering them on my NYS permit, wait until I'm licensed in PA, and then transport the guns from NY to PA on my PA permit? Or would that be illegal b/c the guns technically aren't listed on my permit in NYS...?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast