Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 86 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3676828384858687888990 ... LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: State Constables, the best kept secret in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I thought constables didn't qualify for federal carry?
    We do, but we don't once we are no longer a constable. People normally think of Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) for LEO's that retire, which constables don't qualify, but we are "qualified Law Enforcement officers" which is the other part of LEOSA while we are constables (if you get certified by the state.)
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    We do, but we don't once we are no longer a constable. People normally think of Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) for LEO's that retire, which constables don't qualify, but we are "qualified Law Enforcement officers" which is the other part of LEOSA while we are constables (if you get certified by the state.)
    Oh nice!

So am I able to go to any local township in my county, where no one has ran, and apply to fill the vacant position?

(Washington County)

Oh nice!

So am I able to go to any local township in my county, where no one has ran, and apply to fill the vacant position?
    You can only be a constable, or deputy constable, in your township.

If your township already has a constable, they can appoint you as a deputy. I have one deputy.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Oh nice!

Holding the office isn't enough for LEOSA. You have to be trained and certified yearly by the state.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Holding the office isn't enough for LEOSA. You have to be trained and certified yearly by the state.
    Correct, which is why I state in previous post:

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post

Interestingly, "judge of elections" and "Inspector of Elections" also had no candidates here. Might have to look into those.
    They both work at the polls on election day and are responsible for setting them up, tearing them down, and returning stuff to the election commission. You'd want Inspector of Elections, less work and not that much less money.

(Bradford County)

To All Constables who won their re-elections, congratulations! For any new constables, welcome to the Constabulary. Remember, and this is for everyone. PCCD only trains for serving the courts, which you will need. But that is not the limit to a constables authority or responsibility.

Myself, I won my re-election, and we made some history. The position of High Constable was somewhat forgotten, people just never ran for it and thought it abolished. Well it wasn't, and after some research, and verification by the PA Dept. of State, the States attorneys and the attorneys of several counties, it was confirmed to my county that they had to let me run for it. So I did.

I am now the first officially elected High Constable in the State of Pennsylvania in over 70 years. Because there hasn't been one in so long, I'm kind of writing the book on this. Yes, there are some differences and as I go on, I will be writing this all down and you will be able to learn about it.

For all of us, may the next six years be beneficial and be safe out there.

(Monroe County)

What is the basic difference between a High Constable and regular Constable?

I received enough write in votes that I should win the election in my ward. It was entirely unplanned, but according to the unofficial results there was only one single write in vote other than my own few, so..

I don't plan on serving the courts. I have a very busy day job. I will, however, man the polls as required. Not sure if I'll get certified or not. Leaning towards not.

What can a Constable, who isn't certified, do outside of November? I would like to get more involved with the town and wouldn't mind lending my engineering background to the town as needed.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by 302w View Post
    What is the basic difference between a High Constable and regular Constable?

I received enough write in votes that I should win the election in my ward. It was entirely unplanned, but according to the unofficial results there was only one single write in vote other than my own few, so..

I don't plan on serving the courts. I have a very busy day job. I will, however, man the polls as required. Not sure if I'll get certified or not. Leaning towards not.

What can a Constable, who isn't certified, do outside of November? I would like to get more involved with the town and wouldn't mind lending my engineering background to the town as needed.
    That's a long answer, but not being certified means you can not work for court system (serving papers, picking up fugitives, court security, etc.), at the same time, I would be hesitant to do any constable work in your township (my number one phone call is "His cows are in my yard again" which is a Constable issue) without certification because that would open you up to liability issues. The constable rule book is fairly complex on what you are allowed to do and not allowed do, so really recommend you get certified and then do you yearly ConEd.

And do you **Joking here** really want to miss out on required online classes like this that I'm doing today:

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    That's a long answer, but not being certified means you can not work for court system (serving papers, picking up fugitives, court security, etc.), at the same time, I would be hesitant to do any constable work in your township (my number one phone call is "His cows are in my yard again" which is a Constable issue) without certification because that would open you up to liability issues. The constable rule book is fairly complex on what you are allowed to do and not allowed do, so really recommend you get certified and then do you yearly ConEd.
    Is the "Constable Rule Book" online?

I live in a densely populated area with a large active police department as well as County Sheriff's around. In fact I am pursuing Constable in my WARD, not just town!

My reason for not actively pursuing certification is that I do have a day job and serving papers/court security etc is something I simply couldn't do while maintaining my full time job. I am not a full time police officer.

Selfishly, it would be nice to have LEOSA rights if I become certified.

Can the cost of classes be claimed on income taxes?

Really, I'd be interested in serving the community outside of business hours. Perhaps not simply police work.

Page 86 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3676828384858687888990 ... LastLast