Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 91 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41818788899091929394 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: State Constables, the best kept secret in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    WTF is this about? A convicted felon living in Michigan won a job on a write in vote.

*You are not going to be a constable in Lehigh County*: Judge disqualifies Allentown constable-elect who was convicted of impersonating a police officer

After hearing a recitation of convictions in three states for theft, fraud and impersonating a police officer, among other crimes, a Lehigh County judge on Monday declared a Michigan man who won a write-in campaign for constable in Allentown ineligible to serve.

https://www.mcall.com/news/elections...3ra-story.html
    Unfortunately, anyone may Write themselves in, or mount a Write In Campaign, or Write in "Mickey Mouse". They may then have to meet the requirements of Filing for that Office as any "Ballot" Candidate would, or actually File to Decline the Office (example: Voters wrote someone in without their prior knowledge, they are Elected, but don't want the position).

Post Election, there are steps to follow before being Sworn into Office, including Filing a Bond.

Additionally, Initial, then Annual, Constable Firearms Certification requires a Law Enforcement Level Background Check annually by PCCD / PSP.

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Bucks County)

To BCI Instructor, thank you sir! That does help clarify things.

I also noted some discussion about basic training classes and the lack of available options. There was a class in the South East near me, but it filled up almost immediately. Do they ever add classes if there's a lot of demand? The other class dates are not suitable for me and my current work schedule... Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Classes are created logistically (though often not appearing "Logical" by location), but are also added based upon demand.

Not all Constables pursue Certification to work for the Courts. Many are simply local Peace Officers who work the Polls during Elections (a required Statutory Duty), or other minor local items within their Baliwick (Municipality from which you are Elected) such as Traffic assistance for a Holiday Parade or Town Fair. For this reason, PCCD can only "guesstimate" the number and location of Constable "Basic" courses to be offered.

Classes may also be deleted or consolidated due to low enrollment, for example 2 small groups scheduled for separate dates combined into one - effectively one class being cancelled in favor of "expanding" the enrollment of the other.

(Berks County)

Congratulations to all newly elected Constables. I did three terms and decided not to run again, mostly because of age (67 yrs old). Do not get discouraged the first year, give it time. I almost gave up at first from lack of work, ended up working for four courts and making a very good living. Best of luck.

(Washington County)

Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range is again hosting PA Constable Handgun Qualifications on Sep 25, 2022. We would like to invite all SW PA Constables free usage of our 100* range to get some practice in before your qualification date, on our range or others. Send us a message to book times. We are open Monday to Saturday from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm and Sunday from 10:00 pm to 10:00 pm.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(York County)

After getting elected constable, how do I sign up for the training? When I looked the one asked for some number which I don't believe I was ever given. I tried calling the three constable education people and nobody picked up or called me back.

A friend attended the swearing in ceremony at the Wayne courthouse this Monday. In addition to judges, magistrates and the lot, there were a number of constables from the surrounding areas being sworn in also. My friend thought it strange that although in uniform, they were unarmed, empty holsters. Is that a normal practice? Supposedly a good number weren’t new, I guess re-elected. Even I thought it strange.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Operator View Post
    A friend attended the swearing in ceremony at the Wayne courthouse this Monday. In addition to judges, magistrates and the lot, there were a number of constables from the surrounding areas being sworn in also. My friend thought it strange that although in uniform, they were unarmed, empty holsters. Is that a normal practice? Supposedly a good number weren*t new, I guess re-elected. Even I thought it strange.
    This varies by County and is Policy generally set by the Presiding Common Pleas Judge.

For example, Allegheny County requires all but approved Court staff and Building Security check Firearms at the Sheriff's Office on the first Floor, you will be turned away from any other entrance and redirected to that entrance.

Washington County allows you to carry as long as credentialed, UNIFORMED preferred or BADGE displayed.

Beaver County only allow UNIFORMED to carry, all others check their Firearms at drawers / lockers at each entry location.

The definition of UNIFORMED was set on May 28th, 2013 by the Pennsylvania State Supreme Court (along with other standards for all Constables, Certified or not),
    but interpretation can vary by County as well, particularly in those Counties (actually Judicial Districts, which sometimes pair 2 small Counties) that have established a Constable Handbook and / or Constable Review Board.

... hope this helps ...
    Last edited by BCI Instructor; January 5th, 2022 at 12:11 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrewPickles View Post
    After getting elected constable, how do I sign up for the training? When I looked the one asked for some number which I don't believe I was ever given. I tried calling the three constable education people and nobody picked up or called me back.
    I don't know how far along in the process you are, I'll be a bit detailed here in case it helps others viewing this thread.

As a newly Elected or Appointed Constable or Deputy Constable, your CCETS registration for "Basic / Initial" classes will be handled solely by Nick Hartmann of PCCD.
    You may PM me to confirm you called the correct number, or for me to provide his direct email address.

INITIAL STEPS ...

You must first have received your Certificate of Election, and forwarded a copy to PCCD for creation of a CCETS account (this generates your eventual Certification Number).

Have you received your Certificate of Election, purchased a Bond, and had a "Miscellaneous Docket - Constable Matters" created that filed both items at your Courthouse Clerk of Court / Department of Court Records, paid your Docket Filing Fee, and been Sworn into Office? Your Term of Office (which potentially began Monday January 3rd) must be valid for PCCD to proceed further.

Have you inquired into your mandatory Professional Liability Insurance? (necessary prior to class, and must be maintained ongoing for Certification)?
    This information will be forwarded by your Insurer to your County Point of Contact for Constable Matters at the Clerk of Court / Department of Court Records, endorsed with your Miscellaneous Docket number as above, then forwarded by the County to PCCD.

After the above, you'll be able to view and register for classes through CCETS once Nick sets your account as "live".

You'll also need to be prepared for the costs for "Basic" Constable Training ($1,125) and "Basic" aka "Initial" Firearms Training ($1,485).
    In subsequent years, you need only pay for Continuing Education or Annual Firearms if you Fail, or Fail to appear for a class without sufficient notice / rescheduling.
    Training is then paid for via an account funded by the Constable Education Fund $5 Surcharge on Court work assessed to Defendants and Civil Filings.

You will also be assigned online Training hosted by Temple University, in addition to your "In Person" sessions. PCCD will send you an informational email, followed up by emails from Temple. These online Courses will go live on or after JANUARY 18th, 2022 and MUST be completed by NOVEMBER 18th, 2022 - the sooner, the better, as your Certification is not "complete" allowing for Court work as a "New" Constable or Deputy until ALL "In Person" and online Training requirements are fulfilled.

To be clear, I do not post here often (I try to avoid Social Media, too many pitfalls, too many people that may search your past history from years ago for something negative that serves them ...), but I will provide "just the facts" when time permits, and respond to PM's when time permits.

... hope this helps ... good luck to you and all other newly elected or appointed ...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gp52555 View Post
    Congratulations to all newly elected Constables. I did three terms and decided not to run again, mostly because of age (67 yrs old). Do not get discouraged the first year, give it time. I almost gave up at first from lack of work, ended up working for four courts and making a very good living. Best of luck.
    Thank you for your Service ... Best Wishes in your Retirement

Page 91 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41818788899091929394 LastLast