Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 90 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: State Constables, the best kept secret in PA.

Greets,

Long time lurker and first time poster. I was just elected to be my township's constable, so I'll have some questions moving forward as I'm learning more about this role.

FYI, I just saw the 2022 training schedules dropped, so check that out if you have been waiting for it.

One stupid question I have, and cannot find an answer anywhere: Any ideas why the PA Code sections referring to constables and their powers (44 PA C.S. § 7101 et seq.) draw a distinction between constables hailing from townships and constables hailing from boroughs? I find it odd that the legislature specifically granted more powers to constables from boroughs, but I cannot find any reason for it. It's weird and irking me.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2W151 View Post
    Greets,

Long time lurker and first time poster. I was just elected to be my township's constable, so I'll have some questions moving forward as I'm learning more about this role.

FYI, I just saw the 2022 training schedules dropped, so check that out if you have been waiting for it.

One stupid question I have, and cannot find an answer anywhere: Any ideas why the PA Code sections referring to constables and their powers (44 PA C.S. § 7101 et seq.) draw a distinction between constables hailing from townships and constables hailing from boroughs? I find it odd that the legislature specifically granted more powers to constables from boroughs, but I cannot find any reason for it. It's weird and irking me.
    Welcome to the club, what is the difference in their powers? Just got elected as well

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrewPickles View Post
    Welcome to the club, what is the difference in their powers? Just got elected as well
    Well the big one I saw is § 7158. Arrest in boroughs.
    In addition to any other powers granted under law, a constable of a borough shall, without warrant and upon view, arrest and commit for hearing any person who:
    (1) Is guilty of a breach of the peace, vagrancy, riotous or disorderly conduct or drunkenness.
    (2) May be engaged in the commission of any unlawful act tending to imperil the personal security or endanger the property of the citizens.
    (3) Violates any ordinance of the borough for which a fine or penalty is imposed.

Other powers elsewhere listed are expressly stated to be held by the "constable of the township, borough or ward."

So as I see it, I have no statutory powers to arrest for breach of the peace because I am a township constable, but if I lived in a borough I would. I'm just curious why the legislature would make that delineation.

It appears that only the South West and South East regions are offering basic training sessions this year. SW offering two night/weekend sessions and SE offering one day session.

Because this is a post-election year, these are "expanded" seasions, right? 2023 is expected to be only in Harrisburg, correct?

I can see why everyone hates the PCCD already.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PlaidShirt View Post
    It appears that only the South West and South East regions are offering basic training sessions this year. SW offering two night/weekend sessions and SE offering one day session.

Because this is a post-election year, these are "expanded" seasions, right? 2023 is expected to be only in Harrisburg, correct?

There were a lot more the first year I got elected. I think there were 3 in the southeast alone. But we're apparently down to only 566 constables carrying over from the elections. There were about 1300 certified by the end of my first year. At least it looks like work will be a little more available for those currently working.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    There were a lot more the first year I got elected. I think there were 3 in the southeast alone. But we're apparently down to only 566 constables carrying over from the elections. There were about 1300 certified by the end of my first year. At least it looks like work will be a little more available for those currently working.
    And half of those are on poofa!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    If you are basing the 566 number off of the PCCD Constable Finder web page, this number will substantially recover in short order. (as of this morning, it is 596).

https://www.pccdcis.pa.gov/CCETS/Pub...bleFinder.aspx

Anyone who was up for Re-Election in November for whom PCCD had not yet received their Certificate of Election (or Appointment) by December 31st automatically dropped out of the Constable Finder, since their Term of Office "expired" December 31st. This also potentially removes them from MDJS (Magistrates) / CPS (Common Pleas) software applications (you'd be "grayed out") so Court work cannot be assigned to you. They'll be restored to the Constable Finder once they have a Valid Term of Office inputted.

PCCD Staff were out of Office or working Remotely the last 2 weeks of the year due to the Holidays, so little was processed or updated, there is a backlog..

Additionally, the PCCD Constable Finder makes no distinction between Constables and Deputy Constables. ALL Deputy Constables who were previously Appointed under a Constable who was up for Re-Election must now be Re=Appointed AFTER their Elected Constable has received their Certificate of Election, then proceeded to the Clerk of Courts / Department of Court Records for their County, filed a Copy of their Certificate of Election along with their Bond, Paid the Docket Fee for this Filing, and had a Miscellaneous Docket created - then being Sworn into Office. Only after these steps by their respective Elected Constables are completed can Deputy Constables be Re-Appointed. The same steps will apply for any Newly Elected Constables wishing to appoint Deputies.

The Constable Finder also does not display Constables or Deputies who are not currently Certified (with rare exception this includes recently Elected or Appointed Constables, unless previously Certified or Exempted), so this number will increase yet again once some Constable Basic classes are held and newly Elected Constables become Certified.

Constable Election cycles are every 2 years, depending upon when your 6 year Term of Office expires. Since "New" Constables in Allegheny County and other large Counties surrounding the Greater Pittsburgh Area were Elected in this most recent Election cycle, this is also why the limited number (so far) of Basic Constable courses for "New" Constables are to be Hosted in that area, and why in other years for reasons of logistics they may be hosted in Harrisburg or elsewhere.

... hope this helps ...
    Last edited by BCI Instructor; January 4th, 2022 at 11:18 AM.

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PlaidShirt View Post

Because this is a post-election year, these are "expanded" sedsions, right? 2023 is expected to be only in Harrisburg, correct?

Newly Elected or Appointed Constables and Deputies must attend Constable "Basic" and Constable "Initial" Firearms.

Constables and Deputies who have previously attended the above and been in Office continuously (or without significant lapse) attend Annual Continuing Education and Annual Firearms.

Training is Blended, with online Courses Hosted by Temple University (you'll be provided info by PCCD). In Person Training is scattered Regionally, the state being broken into segments (Southwest, Northeast, etc ...). You may travel to ANY location (at your own expense) for In Person Training - you are not limited to your "Home" area. For example, I'm from Greater Pittsburgh, but have traveled to classes near Erie and Harrisburg as they were a better fit my overall schedule and availability.

... hope this helps ...

(Lehigh County)

WTF is this about? A convicted felon living in Michigan won a job on a write in vote.

*You are not going to be a constable in Lehigh County*: Judge disqualifies Allentown constable-elect who was convicted of impersonating a police officer

After hearing a recitation of convictions in three states for theft, fraud and impersonating a police officer, among other crimes, a Lehigh County judge on Monday declared a Michigan man who won a write-in campaign for constable in Allentown ineligible to serve.

https://www.mcall.com/news/elections...3ra-story.html
    NRA Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2W151 View Post
    Well the big one I saw is § 7158. Arrest in boroughs.
    In addition to any other powers granted under law, a constable of a borough shall, without warrant and upon view, arrest and commit for hearing any person who:
    (1) Is guilty of a breach of the peace, vagrancy, riotous or disorderly conduct or drunkenness.
    (2) May be engaged in the commission of any unlawful act tending to imperil the personal security or endanger the property of the citizens.
    (3) Violates any ordinance of the borough for which a fine or penalty is imposed.

Other powers elsewhere listed are expressly stated to be held by the "constable of the township, borough or ward."

So as I see it, I have no statutory powers to arrest for breach of the peace because I am a township constable, but if I lived in a borough I would. I'm just curious why the legislature would make that delineation.
    Constables, the Office having been brought over from England, predate Pennsylvania's formation as a State, and entry into the union by Ratifying the Constitution in 1787.

In terms of Municipalities, the original intent was Cities were the largest Municipal Governments, then Boroughs next, then Townships - the original intent largely being Townships would eventually elevate into Boroughs.Over time, with population shifts, which is larger / smaller /. etc ... in terms of population or land mass has blurred substantially.

Many of the Statutes involving Constables, the Office having been in existence for literally centuries, have simply and literally been "Cut and Paste" without changes in language when the Penal Codes / Crimes Codes / Consolidated Statutes were "updated" from time to time. Another reason for the long standing language being left in place is that the Office of Constable predates all other Law Enforcement in Pennsylvania - before County Sheriffs, Local Police, State Police were even created. Although most Sheriff's Office Authority is based in Common Law, nearly all "Police" arrest authority is based upon their being "Ex-Officio" Constables (by extension from the Office of Constable).

In simplest terms, based upon Common Law and Case Law, there is functionally no difference between a City / Borough / Township Constable or Deputy in terms of Authority.
    All are Peace Officers as soon as you take the Oath of Office (after appropriate Filings, see another Post of mine above). PCCD Certification opens the door to Court work.

... hope this helps ...

Page 90 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394 LastLast