Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 82 of 94 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: State Constables, the best kept secret in PA.

Oh, and forgot to mention it, but the course of fire has changed a bit. We start at 25 yards and work up to the target instead of starting close and moving out to 25 yards.

Also, I noticed for the SE training region, there are 2 sessions of continuing firearms that will be held at Guardian Training Center in Warminster.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    I guess you didn't see the email from PCCD.

We are qualifying this year. And you no longer have to get the exact same ammo. Weight and type is all that has to be the same this year. So, I'll be looking for 115g JHPs in 9mm.

And they are letting us qualify with 2 weapons if there is time.

If you want to PM me your email, I'll forward you the notice.
    Thanks, but I just saw the email. So it doesn't have to be our exact duty ammo, but it still needs to be JHP. Finding *any* JHP will be challenging for a lot of guys.

Good thing I've got 140 loose rounds of 40 S&W Remington JHP kicking around!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Thanks, but I just saw the email. So it doesn't have to be our exact duty ammo, but it still needs to be JHP. Finding *any* JHP will be challenging for a lot of guys.

Good thing I've got 140 loose rounds of 40 S&W Remington JHP kicking around!
    You (the metaphorical you) can switch to FMJ if you want. I'm going to try and stay with JHP by preference, but if I can't find enough to qualify with, I'll switch to FMJ for this year.

I find it hard to believe you guys can*t find ammo. What is your duty round? I found several LE suppliers that have ammo in stock, right in PA. Do Constables carry something out of the ordinary?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Operator View Post
    I find it hard to believe you guys can*t find ammo. What is your duty round? I found several LE suppliers that have ammo in stock, right in PA. Do Constables carry something out of the ordinary?
    We can carry whatever we want, we just have to qualify with it. It used to have to be the same brand, weight, type as we qualified with. Now, it can be just the same weight and type.

But we do have to only use the specific (down to serial number) pistol we qualify with. If it breaks, you can't buy the same make and model and be done with it. You have to attend another class and qualify with it to carry it in the course of your duties.

I actually have enough of the ammo I qualified with last time to requalify (120 rounds if I qualify with 2 pistols), plus some extra. So while I'd like to have more on hand, it won't stop me from requalifying.

(Personally I use 115g 9mm JHP for my duty round)

We can carry whatever we want, we just have to qualify with it. It used to have to be the same brand, weight, type as we qualified with. Now, it can be just the same weight and type.

But we do have to only use the specific (down to serial number) pistol we qualify with. If it breaks, you can't buy the same make and model and be done with it. You have to attend another class and qualify with it to carry it in the course of your duties.

I actually have enough of the ammo I qualified with last time to requalify (120 rounds if I qualify with 2 pistols), plus some extra. So while I'd like to have more on hand, it won't stop me from requalifying.

T1066, I don*t mean to sound condescending, please take what i opine here, coming from a retired 40 yr LEO. If one, meaning, a Constable, has the concerns expressed here, maybe its time for a career change. Granted, I worked for a largest, well largest department in the US for my firs career. Ammo was supplied by them, as was the case for my second LE career after retrieving from the first.

I understand, as the individual nature of the Constable position, just cant wrap my head around the fact that it appears, well, like they are penny pinching and wining over ammo. If I were a constable, I wouldn*t be worrying about having to find ammo for qualification or carry...I*D HAVE IT AND PLENTY LEFT OVER.

I take issue with scruff*s comment about *finding any* hollow point, will be challenging. I also say, shame on anyone for not having reserves, especially when its ones, so called lively hood.

Why doesn*t the PCCD, I think, take matters in hand and place an order with a supplier, like Atlantic Tactical? AT has ammo and only sells to LE, military, both active and retired. There are other companies, I mention them, as they are right here in PA. Granted, you are probably going to pay more for it these days. Buying bulk will surely save some coin in the long run.

Hope you all find a solution to your issues...good luck, stay safe.

Curious...could one qualify with, say, a home built polymer 80 to get around the “only carry the gun with serial number you qualified with” issue? Theoretically then one could carry multiple different pistols from the same platform and not have to requalify if one breaks 🤔

(Bucks County)

T1066, I don*t mean to sound condescending,
    I'll respond in more detail when I have a little more time, but I did want to let you know I'm not offended at all

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Curious...could one qualify with, say, a home built polymer 80 to get around the *only carry the gun with serial number you qualified with* issue? Theoretically then one could carry multiple different pistols from the same platform and not have to requalify if one breaks ��
    I'm pretty sure they won't let you qualify with it unless there is a serial number for them to put on the form.

And while I can swap the barrel on my duty pistol to .40 S&W, I'm also sure that they would then say that I couldn't carry it in the performance of my duties until I switched it back to 9mm.

I'll respond in more detail when I have a little more time, but I did want to let you know I'm not offended at all

I'm pretty sure they won't let you qualify with it unless there is a serial number for them to put on the form.

And while I can swap the barrel on my duty pistol to .40 S&W, I'm also sure that they would then say that I couldn't carry it in the performance of my duties until I switched it back to 9mm.
    Hmm. Wonder who I could ask to get clarification on this, my local constable? It would be kinda nice to be able to build a couple specifically for the purpose of being duty guns (say, a pf940cl and a pf940v2)

Seeing as I’m out of work I’m kind of considering going for the training for this (or asking if I can work as a deputy to gain experience). With the slew of incoming firearms laws, it wouldn’t hurt...

(Bucks County)

T1066, I don*t mean to sound condescending, please take what i opine here, coming from a retired 40 yr LEO. If one, meaning, a Constable, has the concerns expressed here, maybe its time for a career change. Granted, I worked for a largest, well largest department in the US for my firs career. Ammo was supplied by them, as was the case for my second LE career after retrieving from the first.

I understand, as the individual nature of the Constable position, just cant wrap my head around the fact that it appears, well, like they are penny pinching and wining over ammo. If I were a constable, I wouldn*t be worrying about having to find ammo for qualification or carry...I*D HAVE IT AND PLENTY LEFT OVER.

I take issue with scruff*s comment about *finding any* hollow point, will be challenging. I also say, shame on anyone for not having reserves, especially when its ones, so called lively hood.

Why doesn*t the PCCD, I think, take matters in hand and place an order with a supplier, like Atlantic Tactical? AT has ammo and only sells to LE, military, both active and retired. There are other companies, I mention them, as they are right here in PA. Granted, you are probably going to pay more for it these days. Buying bulk will surely save some coin in the long run.

Hope you all find a solution to your issues...good luck, stay safe.
    To address this in more detail, constables are in a very weird spot in the law enforcement field, because we are responsible for pretty much everything we have to get to do our jobs. This gives us quite a bit of variability. There are I think about 9 different calibers we are allowed to qualify with. Revolver and semi-auto. About the only thing we don't (or didn't) have to pay for directly was our training. Because of that, there is no real standard round we have. Also, the PCCD used to buy training ammo for the firearms classes/qualification for us to practice and train with prior to qualifying. About 600 rounds per person for basic firearms.

Then the training fund (paid for with a $5 per docket fee for dockets handled by constables) ran out of money. Now firearms qual is show up and shoot, and no ammo provided for training or practice. We did have to supply our qual ammo before as well as after, so no change there.

If the PCCD did a purchase of qual ammo for constables, the constables would have to pay for their share in advance, as they have no money to allocate for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Hmm. Wonder who I could ask to get clarification on this, my local constable? It would be kinda nice to be able to build a couple specifically for the purpose of being duty guns (say, a pf940cl and a pf940v2)

Seeing as I’m out of work I’m kind of considering going for the training for this (or asking if I can work as a deputy to gain experience). With the slew of incoming firearms laws, it wouldn’t hurt...
    Just be aware that new constables now have to pay for their basic training. About $2500 to go through basic and basic firearms classes.

And you are not guaranteed any work. It took almost a 6 months before I got any work at all. And I have a day job.

But I'm happy to answer any other questions you have.

Oh, and deputy constables have the same level of authority as a regular constable, and have to go through the same training before they can work for the courts. About the only difference is the deputy constable serves at the pleasure of the elected constable.

Page 82 of 94 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast