Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 77 of 94 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: State Constables, the best kept secret in PA.

I was a Deputy in SC. But you don't have to be Law Enforcement to take the NRA Course.

(Monroe County)

I'm already certified that is how I became an Act 235 Firearms Instructor. You don't have to be LE to get in the NRA LE course.. However, I was a SC Deputy.

(Monroe County)

Why are you confused? because I said I'm donating the money to a childrens organization. I was a volunteer state police officer in SC for a year its my way of giving back.. I'm retired and have my own business I'm not stressing the income.. I never said I wasn't interested in doing the job I know what the job is.. It seems like all constables refuse to hire deputies because of greed..

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    If your district/ward has a vacant position, go to the Clerk of Elections at County seat.. Get a petition. Get 10 signatures from township residents registered to vote the same party you are registered with. Turn in petition. They do a background check with finger prints and Judge swears you in.
    You now must be at the polling place for elections.. but cannot do work for the courts.
    Then you attend the ACT training now you can do work for the courts but cannot carry a firearm
    later LEO handgun course and you can now carry while doing work for the courts and in every state and city of the USA.

Prepare for calls from people who look you up and want to complain about a loud neighbor or neighbor's dog, or dead beat renters etc...y
    best advice, a cheap prepaid phone.. not your usual cell phone

Not exact terminology but you all get the point
    Thanks Parrisk, got it. I'm an out of state retiring LEO and will be moving FT to house in PA. I'm doing some research to see if it's worthwhile. Thanks again. Stay safe!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Don Reed View Post
    Why are you confused? because I said I'm donating the money to a childrens organization. I was a volunteer state police officer in SC for a year its my way of giving back.. I'm retired and have my own business I'm not stressing the income.. I never said I wasn't interested in doing the job I know what the job is.. It seems like all constables refuse to hire deputies because of greed..

I partially disagree with your last sentence. I'm sure for some it's greed; yet, there are some like myself, that the work I do for the courts is not overwhelming and a need for a deputy is unwarranted. I also wouldn't want a deputy, just to have one. In my county (Lackawanna), when submitting a letter to the President Judge requesting a deputy, you have to state specific reasons for your request.

I commend you wanting to donate your monies to help other's. Condemning constables because you can't have your way lacks professionalism.

Good Luck with your search.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    I partially disagree with your last sentence. I'm sure for some it's greed; yet, there are some like myself, that the work I do for the courts is not overwhelming and a need for a deputy is unwarranted. I also wouldn't want a deputy, just to have one. In my county (Lackawanna), when submitting a letter to the President Judge requesting a deputy, you have to state specific reasons for your request.

I commend you wanting to donate your monies to help other's. Condemning constables because you can't have your way lacks professionalism.

Good Luck with your search.
    Having an opinion based off facts is not condemning anything or anyone.

(Monroe County)

Lycoming County has a lot of vacant constable positions. Most of them refused or did not answer. Does anyone know
    why? Is it not worth it to be a constable in Lycoming County? Reason why I'm asking is because I'm relocating to Pa.
    and I'm thinking of moving to Lycoming to one of their Townships or Boroughs and run for Constable. My daughter lives
    in Tobyhanna now but there are no vacancies there..
    Last edited by Sgt Don Reed; February 25th, 2017 at 02:50 AM.

(Monroe County)

I should have said most constables refuse to hire a deputy not all...

(Indiana County)

Reason why I'm asking is because I'm relocating to Pa.
    and I'm thinking of moving to Lycoming to one of their Townships or Boroughs and run for Constable.
    Before attempting to run you might want to check with the county's Board of Elections first. Since this would be an elected position, even though it's vacant, there might be a one-year-residency requirement in place.

(Dauphin County)

… It seems like all constables refuse to hire deputies because of greed..
    That makes as much sense as saying a lawn care guy (or a lawyer, or a doctor, or or a painter, etc.) who chooses to work alone is doing so out of greed. No, it's because he doesn't think he needs anyone helping him with his work. Is it "greed" if a lawn guy cuts a lawn himself?
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 77 of 94 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast