Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Default Re: State Constables, the best kept secret in PA.

also a note, alot of constables aren't even elected a constable can appoint another constable.

(Delaware County)

I though about it.... i would be glad to stand in the school library and make sure none of the pushers come pash the door with their literature. I just want to know when you take the training, nights??? If i could fit it around my schedule i would do it. AFAIK serving warrants is volunteer only. I would even do some of that to sponser a few firearm purchases.
    Does anyone know where I can find more info about this, job requirements, when and how to get elected, and training times?
    Last edited by Chevmeister; November 25th, 2007 at 12:43 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Interesting read. Where did you get this information from?
    Well I got some of the info from my county board of elections. The next cycle of constable elections will be in 2009, at least in my area.

Training is provided by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency, at different times of the year. No I don't think it is a night class.
    http://www.pccd.state.pa.us/pccd/site/default.asp
    http://www.pccd.state.pa.us/pccd/cwp...=1385&Q=572386

I guess what happens is that district justices develop a relationship with one or two constables who get the bulk of the work. The rest do nothing, except maybe work the polls. OK by me. I really don't want to be serving warrants for $12 a piece.

I just think it is an interesting loophole. 12 signatures on a petition,get elected and Bingo you are in Law Enforcement. Or just go to your buddy the constable.
    "Hey Barney, can I be your deputy?"

Kind of explains gnbrotz's problem doesn't it.
    Last edited by CZ40P; April 18th, 2008 at 06:36 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevmeister View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find more info about this, job requirements, when and how to get elected, and training times?

Job Requirements.........Pennsylvania residency , and a pulse

(Berks County)

Does anyone know who to find out how many wards are in your particular township? I've been trying to find out via Google, and have come up empty.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramtuff View Post
    Does anyone know who to find out how many wards are in your particular township? I've been trying to find out via Google, and have come up empty.
    Your best bet is to call your county board of elections. They knew everything, even told me who I had to run against. Maybe I 'll offer not to run, if he appoints me deputy.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm appointed in my ward for election duty. No training was required. I do not wear a uniform. I call the police if there's a problem, bullshit with my neighbors all day and collect a $90 check for serving my civic duty on election day (hell, pays better than jury duty).

I got the job since my mother was the minority inspector. I brought her lunch and the constable asked if i wanted to be a deputy. I said, "sure why not." Before the next election day i read up on all the relevant laws. Apparently, this means i take the job more seriously than some of the bozo's out there like the one who hassled GB. Frankly i think most of the guys who play dress up and have decals on their cars are whackers.

You only get to carry a gun if you take all that training and the annual refresher. That's a lot of time an money and not really worth it.
    Last edited by MarcS; November 25th, 2007 at 01:43 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    I'm appointed in my ward for election duty. No training was required. I do not wear a uniform. I call the police if there's a problem, bullshit with my neighbors all day and collect a $90 check for serving my civic duty on election day (hell, pays better than jury duty).

I got the job since my mother was the minority inspector. I brought her lunch and the constable asked if i wanted to be a deputy. I said, "sure why not." Before the next election day i read up on all the relevant laws. Apparently, this means i take the job more seriously than some of the bozo's out there like the one who hassled GB. Frankly i think most of the guys who play dress up and have decals on their cars are whackers.

You only get to carry a gun if you take all that training and the annual refresher. That's a lot of time an money and not really worth it.
    Did you get a badge and ID, The training is paid for by the state, I guess you have to pay for your accommodations and meals though.
    Last edited by CZ40P; November 25th, 2007 at 01:51 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by CZ40P View Post
    Did you get a badge and ID, The training is paid for by the state, I guess you have to pay for your accommodations and meals though.
    no and no. I got a letter from the local district justice certifying my appointment. I have no authority any time other than election days (and even then it's laughable to call it authority). There are actually 2 types of constables and i'm just the kind that works elections, but i know enough about the other type (the type that deputized me). While there's an election constable for each ward, the constable you vote for on election day, at least the one i work for controls a larger area.

Anyway, it's expensive if you have to take a week off of work each year.
    Last edited by MarcS; November 25th, 2007 at 02:03 AM.

(Bucks County)

So.... do constables qualify as law enforcement officers for the purpose of Title II firearms?
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast