Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default "No one has any business having or carrying a gun"

I was at a holiday lunch yesterday with several co-workers and bosses, when the topic of carrying and owning a gun in general came up. The prevailing pig headed idea being spewed by the big boss is that no one has any business owning a gun and certainly no business carrying one "unless they're a cop". Some other dope insisted it's not even legal till you're over 25 years old.

Big boss went on to add he'd recently had to demand a friend of his daughter's leave his property based on the fact that the friend was openly carrying. That part, in theory I can at least respect. It's probably on the inconsiderate side to assume you can openly carry to a stranger's home, at least make an effort to conceal or leave it in the car. Maybe the visitor could have quickly addressed the issue by explaining his position and defused the situation upon arrival? Anyway that's another topic in itself. Not sure how to handle being outed for carrying when a you're a guest on someone else's property/house.

Sadly, I had to tuck my tail and keep tight lipped since like the rest of us lowly workers I'm not in a position to challenge the big boss on an issue he clearly feels very stubbornly over. Had to consider the fact that I still need a steady paycheck, although I feel strongly opposed to his taking a dump on the 2A.

Privately, I have 100 arguments to counter this short-sighted naive one. I suspect my tight lipped response or lack-there-of, probably raised some eyebrows as this is not my default reaction to most discussions. I guess I have some satisfaction that at least there is some doubt regarding my agreement on the subject.

Just thought I'd share this frustrating scenario, though I realize this certainly won't earn me any rep points around here. I'm hoping my decision in picking my battles was the best, and no response was the best. At the end of the day, I need a paycheck for food and ammo!

Any other scenarios where you've had to bite your tongue and swallow your pride over your rights? Or am I the only poor sap who let my paycheck own me?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: "No one has any business having or carrying a gun"

start gmail account
    write email
    send email
    watch resulting rage
    enjoy

(Lehigh County)

My daddy used to say: "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your trap shut."

A lesson I've yet to grasp fully, but appreciate more and more as the years pass.

(Allegheny County)

What weight does your bosses opinion have outside of his work enviorment...I'd ventue to say no more than anyone elses. Chock him up as an uninformed anti and move on, heck it's just his opinion, not gospel.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by richrock View Post
    I was at a holiday lunch yesterday with several co-workers and bosses, when the topic of carrying and owning a gun in general came up. The prevailing pig headed idea being spewed by the big boss is that no one has any business owning a gun and certainly no business carrying one "unless they're a cop". Some other dope insisted it's not even legal till you're over 25 years old.

Big boss went on to add he'd recently had to demand a friend of his daughter's leave his property based on the fact that the friend was openly carrying. That part, in theory I can at least respect. It's probably on the inconsiderate side to assume you can openly carry to a stranger's home, at least make an effort to conceal or leave it in the car. Maybe the visitor could have quickly addressed the issue by explaining his position and defused the situation upon arrival? Anyway that's another topic in itself. Not sure how to handle being outed for carrying when a you're a guest on someone else's property/house.

Sadly, I had to tuck my tail and keep tight lipped since like the rest of us lowly workers I'm not in a position to challenge the big boss on an issue he clearly feels very stubbornly over. Had to consider the fact that I still need a steady paycheck, although I feel strongly opposed to his taking a dump on the 2A.

Privately, I have 100 arguments to counter this short-sighted naive one. I suspect my tight lipped response or lack-there-of, probably raised some eyebrows as this is not my default reaction to most discussions. I guess I have some satisfaction that at least there is some doubt regarding my agreement on the subject.

Just thought I'd share this frustrating scenario, though I realize this certainly won't earn me any rep points around here. I'm hoping my decision in picking my battles was the best, and no response was the best. At the end of the day, I need a paycheck for food and ammo!

Any other scenarios where you've had to bite your tongue and swallow your pride over your rights? Or am I the only poor sap who let my paycheck own me?
    You showed maturity and commonsense in your choice of priorities. Rep to you! There are other avenues to advocate for 2A rights, and sacrificing your job is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post

A lesson I've yet to grasp fully, but appreciate more and more as the years pass.
    True (for me as well), so true. I think that's what they call wisdom - but I'm not sure I'm ready to be considered the "older" wiser person.

(Delaware County)

I like GuyMontag's idea.

1. Create new anonymous email account
    2. Send email about why gun ownership is so important
    3. Enjoy rage at work
    4. ?????
    5. PROFIT!
    Junior

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post

Mine always said, "better to remain silent and let them think you are a fool, than open your mouth and prove you are one". Wait, I just got that. My Dad thinks I am a fool!
    That sux.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    Mine always said, "better to remain silent and let them think you are a fool, than open your mouth and prove you are one". Wait, I just got that. My Dad thinks I am a fool!
    That sux.
    That's what dads are for... it's their job...

Another of dear pater's words of wisdom:

"You want a soothing comforter, go to Bed, Bath, & Beyond... or your mother."

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    You showed maturity and commonsense in your choice of priorities. Rep to you! There are other avenues to advocate for 2A rights, and sacrificing your job is not one of them.
    Proverbs 13:3

Whoever guards his tongue, guards his life... or at least his livelihood.

(Northampton County)

If you like or need the job....you did the best thing. Most people's employment is at will. Your boss sounds like a douchebag. I'm glad he's not my boss. He can kiss my fat,hairy,gun toting ass.

You did the right thing. I think your boss is not going to like some stuff that comes out of Harrisburg next year. He can whine about it at next year's holiday lunch. Our side is winning.
    Last edited by reverserboy; December 23rd, 2010 at 02:50 PM.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast