Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Thumbs down Let's not get commonplace

I found this on another web site. I hope it's not true.

Ranndel is planning another attack on of before Dec 10th by organizing together all the anti-mayors of PA of another round for a political push for anti gun legislation.

Default Re: Let's not get commonplace

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    I found this on another web site. I hope it's not true.

Ranndel is planning another attack on of before Dec 10th by organizing together all the anti-mayors of PA of another round for a political push for anti gun legislation.
    How about a link?

(Susquehanna County)

The link is listed below but you may have to join to get to their forums

http://www.uscca.us/forum/showthread.php?t=3319

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    How about a link?
    Pa rifleman, here ya go

WhiteFeather
    Senior Member Join Date: Apr 2007
    (Allegheny County)

Re: [PAFOA Alert] URGENT: PENNSYLVANIA ANTI-GUN PACKAGE VOTE ON TUESDAY AM - 11/15/07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs [mailtofsc@pa.net]
    Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 1:26 PM
    To: PFSC
    Subject: RENDELL "DISAPPOINTED, BUT NOT SURPRISED" BY JUDICIARY COMMITTEE ACTIONS 11-20-07

RENDELL “DISAPPOINTED, BUT NOT SURPRISED” BY JUDICIARY COMMITTEE ACTIONS

11-20-07
    By Mike Howells, PA Legislative Services

“Disappointed? Sure,” the Governor intoned at a press conference this afternoon, “But not surprised.” Though he had hoped the House Judiciary Committee would give the gun violence bills voted down this morning a chance on the House Floor, Governor Rendell acknowledged he was not shocked to hear HB 18 and HB 22 failed, with HB 29 tabled until it can be “improved.”

Given the poll results showing strong statewide support for reporting of lost and stolen guns and handgun sales limits, “It’s a slap in the face to the people of Pennsylvania ,” the Governor declared. He questioned how much evidence needs to be shown that “get tough measures” alone are not working, and challenged House Republican accusations regarding state trooper levels. He asserted current trooper increases are the highest they can be under current regulations, and stated any slowdowns are due to logistical limits of the academy.

Along with Rep. Jewell Williams (D-Philadelphia), prime sponsor of the tabled HB 29, Governor Rendell declared, “We are not going away.” He announced he will stand with city mayors from across the state on December 10 to demand a vote on the floor.

Governor Rendell and Rep. Williams then answered questions from the media.

Given your passion for the issue, why did you leave after presentation this morning? Do you think your continued presence during voting would have made a difference?

Governor Rendell: It wouldn’t have made a difference. People have been brainwashed, and not given the true facts. They think Philadelphia justice is lenient, but in fact it’s been getting tougher and the problem continues to get worse. It’s a stunning fact that no one seems to want to deal with this.

Rep. Williams: The culture around here seems to be “don’t go against the NRA.” The Philadelphia Democratic delegation is part of the majority now, and is going to start leveraging its influence. People don’t normally shoot you with a legally-obtained gun.

Is asserting that people have been brainwashed the best way to go about changing “hearts and minds?”

Governor Rendell: Change is not going to be dictated by myself as Governor, or by any Representatives. It’s going to come from the public.

Would you have taken these actions before the election last year?

Governor Rendell: I would have, because I had absolutely nothing to lose. When politicians look at a poll, the results should register in their minds, but when phone calls mustered by a single interest group start coming in, they get scared.

How long will it take to get Rep. Williams’ bill back on the table, and what changes to it will be made?

Rep. Williams: The Philadelphia delegation will be applying leverage to get it back after Thanksgiving. I will continue to meet with Judiciary Committee Chairman Tom Caltagirone (D-Berks) on the issue.

Are you sorry so many western PA Democrats didn’t vote with you?

Rep. Williams: I am disturbed they weren’t sensitive to the problems of cities across Pennsylvania .

Governor Rendell: What’s stunning is the increases are statewide, not just limited to Philadelphia .

Why did you testify if you knew you were going to lose?

Governor Rendell: I needed to galvanize the public. They are going to be angry when they see the meeting and its results. Where does passion for standing by our law enforcement officers go when they ask for something difficult? You can’t be a “sunshine patriot.”

Why did you leave before the meeting was concluded?

Governor Rendell: My testimony was over. I was given the unprecedented opportunity by Chairman Caltagirone to testify before the committee. It would have been rude to stay after I had given it.

House Republicans have criticized Rep. Williams’ bill as being too draconian. Do you believe that is a sincere criticism or just a tactic?

Governor Rendell: I would support any bill that requires reporting to the authorities the loss of a firearm within a rational amount of time. A week would be fine, as long as it gets to the floor for a vote.

Rep. Williams: I agree. I believe it is a sincere critique, but while we debate, people are dying.

Is one reason you want all members to vote so that you could then use their records to leverage political pressure?

Governor Rendell: Sure. Cover All Kids was signed a week before the 2006 election. It wasn’t an accident.

In light of recent events in other states, do you intend to consider enacting a moratorium on the death penalty?

Governor Rendell: No. There is a de facto moratorium ongoing on PA, and no one has been executed since it was brought back in the 1970s, except for several who waived their appeals. I will meet with the ABA , but not to discuss a moratorium.
    Steve

(Clearfield County)

NOTE the about post was posted by Whitefeather in the alerts fourm I just wanted to be sure Whitefeather is credited for posting this Thank You Whitefeather
    Steve

(Susquehanna County)

[QUOTE=FordDieselSteve; Whitefeather[/QUOTE]

I thank both of you like I said I found it on USCCA web site. Missed it on the PA Federation of Sportmans site