Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Here is the AR I wanna buy.....But I don't know what it is.

I'm just not really all that familiar with the "custom" stuff most of you guys have. I had a 20 inch full size rifle a long time ago, and it was pretty much the same thing we carried in basic and beyond. But I have some cash now ( about $1k ) and I want something like this here. So, what are all the extra parts? I don't need the scopes, I have an Aimpoint that I want to mount on the upper. But I want the rest of the package here. If anyone could say...list the parts shown here for me to buy, or if you have one for sale, that would be great too.

Please forgive the ignorance.

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/...1fde786dad3910
    3%

(Washington County)

Default Re: Here is the AR I wanna buy.....But I don't know what it is.

Guessing you are looking for the M4 type weapon if you said you had an Aimpoint to put on it.

Well here you go. This is build by Daniel Defense though Smartgunner.com who is having a really nice sale on DD gear which is really nice stuff as far as quality is concerned.

The upper: cost $668
    Daniel Defense Cold Hammer Forged Barrel: 16" 1:7 M4 Profile Carbine Length Gas System

Choose a Gas Block: Fixed Front Sight Post

Choose a Rail System: AR15 Lite Rail™ 7.0 (Carbine)

Choose a Flash Hider / Compensator: Standard A2 Flash Hider

Daniel Defense Extras:
    Bolt Carrier Group, Complete, F/A, HP & MPI Tested
    Charging Handle Assembly

You will need to get a rear buck up Iron Sight all on preference Price range $65 (DD fixed) ~ $114 (Troy Folding)

Lower you have a few options available you could buy a complete lower from them with the Magpul Stock and Magpul trigger guard from $399 with the purch of the upper.

or

Build your own for $362.05
    Buy a Striped lower for $125+ $79 Parts kit + $55.95 Buffer assembly (ordered from BCM)+ $92.15 Magpul CTR Mil spec (ordered from BCM) + 9.95 Shipping from BCM (Smartgunner.com has free shipping)
    And put it all together yourself it is easier than you would think.

No matter which way you go the Lower will have to be shipped to a FFL for the transfer and there is a fee attached to that that varies greatly depending on where you go.

Total build is
    $1132 for Upper + DD sites with complete lower
    $1095 for Upper + DD sites with Striped lower and all parts to complete

that is one hell of a rifle for the price.

My new upper is on its way which reminds me there is about a 3 week wait for the upper from DD.
    Last edited by Mr_Anderson; December 20th, 2010 at 03:25 AM.

If I weren't waiting for the LWRC SPR, this is what I'd do, very similar to what's stated above but with a mid length gas system.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...16%20ddl12.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

You didn't mention in your post that you want to build an AR, so I assume you want the whole package.

If I were buying an AR today I'd go with Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, or Colt. Like this one:
    https://danieldefense.com/rifles/mid...ed-sights.html

Don't let the MSRP on DD or BCM scare you. Look on GunBroker, Smartgunner, etc for going prices. They're usually a couple hundred cheaper.

If you want to build one, (It's not that hard.) that's a different story. You'll be studying web sites for weeks, picking out the perfect parts for your build. You'll want the best available, of course. You can save some money, or you may end up paying more than an out the door gun from one of the above makers.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Delaware County)

The one in the thread linked, appears to be a basic DPMS M4 with a quad rail handguard of some kind. Would not suggest that if you are going to run the rifle hard. DPMS stuff isn't the greatest. That handguard maybe too short for some, and is probably heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    If you want to build one, (It's not that hard.) that's a different story. You'll be studying web sites for weeks, picking out the perfect parts for your build. You'll want the best available, of course. You can save some money, or you may end up paying more than an out the door gun from one of the above makers.
    Building a custom AR isn't hard, that's true. If you don't know what you really want though, you can waste a lot of money.

My suggestion:
    BCM lightweight mid-length upper and M-16 bolt carrier group
    Magpul mid-length MOE handguard and MVG (if you want)
    If you want a light mount and/or side sling mounts check www.impactweaponscomponents.com
    Stag or BCM assembled lower (if you don't mind assembling, any old lower and Stag LPK)
    BCM M4 stock

That'd be a good solid rifle, that doesn't need any functional upgrading, and isn't ungodly expensive. If you want more 'rail-estate' you can go to the extended free-float handguard of your choice. If you'd like a MagPul or Vltor stock, you'd have a Mil-spec receiver extension to slip it onto. . .
    Last edited by Suburban; December 20th, 2010 at 03:25 PM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    If I weren't waiting for the LWRC SPR, this is what I'd do, very similar to what's stated above but with a mid length gas system.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...16%20ddl12.htm
    That is about the same upper I ordered from Smartgunner but mine has a Light Weight barrel and I payed $794 for complete upper with BCG and Charging handle

(Chester County)

For the cash just buy a 18"/13.2 Larue Stealth upper. They are tack drivers and can easily shoot out to 600 with good ammo. Hell I run a 14.5 Noveske to shoot steel at 550.

The hard part is you will spen a lot more on quality optics than the rifle.

Here is my Stealth
    Top rifle