Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: DPMS AR-10 Scope Suggestions?

In order to go with the .260, you need the larger AR10 type lower.

If a person wanted to utilize their existing AR15 lower...
    Yes, we are aware, as Tomcat088 and myself have already stated. I thought that was common knowledge...

I call BS on this...owning three DPMS 308LR rifles...I can say they shoot nearly as well as my bolt action. I'll take my reloads over surplus ammo any day of the week.
    As much of a fan of DPMS I am not, I agree. My buddy was 2111 in the Marine Corp for 8 years. When he was at Quantico, he was in the same shop with some very compitent 2112s. They used to tinker with the M14s they had there. They could get them shooting the first five to ten shots under 1 MOA. After that, for whatever reason, the shot groupings would loosen up.

Back on topic...to the OP...I considered the 6.5G in the past, but I cannot get past how much of a douche bag Bill Alexander is...dude is a total control freak, which is why his caliber hasn't made any progress in the mainstream. The Les Baer .264 is basically the same as the 6.5G.
    As far as Bill Alexander goes with the 6.5 Grendel, what I gathered was, certain rifle manufacturers wanted to produce the 6.5 grendel based rifles, but they did not want to make them to Bill Alexander's specifications(i.e. didn't want to make 6.5 grendel bolts, instead cheap out and use 7.62x39 bolts). I take it as his was of making sure their is some for of sanctity with his design. However, how many people make a cartridge and don't do that? A shit load. Obviously the serious shooters are going to research their purchase and they would see that Alexander Arm's Grendel guns are better then some of the off brands. This is only going to shoot him in the foot in the long run, like you said, he .264-LBC (I think it's 1 degree different shoulder angle or something like that?) is just going to cause similar cartridges to come out. I think there is the generic nomenclature of 6.5x39 coming out if I'm right? I also think I remember him(Bill Alexander) having a Mark LaRue/Alex Robinson style temper tantrum on some forum a while back too, so that's no bueno.

It's funny that you bring this up. I agree that the .260 is quite a lot better than the 6.5 Grendel. Eventually when I build an true "long range" AR, it'll also be in .260. If someone doesn't want to do an AR-10 though, 6.5 Grendel is about as good as it gets for the AR-15 platform. The interesting thing is that the ballistics for the 6.5 Grendel are actually better than the .308, which most people consider a "long range" caliber. Again, I like the .260 better, but it's pretty interesting what the 6.5 Grendel can do with the right bullet and load. LOL, good thing I'm not a fan of the .308. I guess to each their own.
    I like the .308 over the 6.5 Grendel because of product availability and diversity, it's pretty cheap to shoot, and it's easy to learn on. 6.5 Creedmore is nice, but it's on a similar boat as the 6.5 Grendel when it comes to brass.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Delaware County)

[QUOTE=animalmother85;1438334]Keep bumping up the price and I can suggest quite a few.

Alright Animal let's say under $1000 what scopes would you suggest?

As far as my long range AR goes she's just a stripped AR15 lower waiting in the safe. So that project is pending my completion of grad school or hitting the lotto.

As far as the 6.5 Grendel I was hopping the prices would decrease as the ammo and components became readily available but it sounds like Alexander won't let that happen a anytime. But we'll see in the future what long range caliber I choose.

Well, I'd say spend a little more then $1,000 and get a nightforce. I bought one and don't regret it. I do buy lesser glass but I won't recommend anything less to other people. I'm sure there are people that will say, "Oh well Nikon or Leupold are just fine". Well, yeah, sure, they are for what you are doing. I like my trash rugged and I don't want to worry about it failing. Night Force has a great track record for the price. You ever hear the phrase in reference to motorcycles, "There are bikes that have gone down and there are bikes that will go down."? Glass is the same way, there is the glass that has failed and their is glass that will fail. Now again, some people will say, "I've had the same redfield scope for 50 years and it hasn't failed ever!" Great, your rifle you pull out of the closet once a year to take to your tree stand has been tried and true, I'm happy for you. Start slamming that pig around, making adjustments back and forth over extended periods of time and keep me posted. If you only plan on taking the rifle to the range here and there, maybe reaching out to 800 or the internet cool 1000 mark, then there is a scope that Tomcat088 and I both have and both like for less then $500. I don't like recommending cheap firearms to people because some day that person who is asking for that opinion may have to depend on it for one reason or another, the same thing goes for accessories. Plus, if you buy good glass from the get-go, it will save you in the long run if you plan on shooting more then most people on the internet.
    Last edited by animalmother85; December 23rd, 2010 at 09:43 AM.

Thumbs up Re: DPMS AR-10 Scope Suggestions?

Gota Burris Fullfield III 4-14x44 w/BallistiPlex recticle on mine. Mounted in Burris Xtreme rings.

Luv it , luuvvv it!

I don't speak English , I talk American!

try using the Macro setting on your camera when you take a close up, it'll clear up the blurriness.

(Delaware County)

Abner,
    I am a big fan of Burris, I have the XTR 1-4x with the Fast Fire on one of my AR 15s. How much did that run you?

[QUOTE=abner13;1439056]Gota Burris Fullfield III 4-14x44 w/BallistiPlex recticle on mine. Mounted in Burris Xtreme rings.

Luv it , luuvvv it!

Quote Originally Posted by PaGunner View Post
    Abner,
    I am a big fan of Burris, I have the XTR 1-4x with the Fast Fire on one of my AR 15s. How much did that run you?
    $200 from the bargain cave at Cabelas. Demo model with no box and a slight scratch that those nice big Burris rings covered nicely..
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12