Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Chester County)

Default re: Best 9mm defensive round

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887
    9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
    The Hi-Shock and Hydra-Shok's are outdated bullets, avoid them.
    I can't think of a single department that issues Cor-Bon loads either...they're notoriously flashly, and over powered.

The Speer GDHP's, Federal Tactical or HST's, and the Winchester Ranger (T) series are all great choices today. I would comfortably carry any of them.

I currently run the P9HST2's, mostly because they are easily available to me, and cheaper than the other loads by a considerable amount. If your local store has a sale on any of the above, there is no shame in going with them.

Stock up, make sure your gun feeds them with absolute reliablity, test fire them at night if possible, and stop worrying about whether there is anything better out there or not.

I like 115 +P Jhp Corbon or 124 JhP double tap or Remoington 115+ P JHP or my own Reload 115 grain Rainer JHP really mushrooms well., mild and explosive.

I like Hydra Shk on thin clothe suspects it still does a pretty good jpb. I also like Powerball 9mm ammo.
    Last edited by Neko456; December 20th, 2010 at 04:47 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

What's the big deal about so called {Out Dated Ammo} ?
    If a round works, it's good ! I would not feel inadequate with Hydrashoks, Hi-Shok, or regular Golden Sabres ! Hi-Shoks are some hot stuff and hard hitters. Yes HydraShoks now have their quirks, {They didn't 15 years ago} but thet do get the job done. Winchester Silver Tips is another ! When they first came out they were the say all, end all of ammo, now a lot of people think they suck. How can that be ? If they worked fine 20 years ago wouldn't they still work the same ? Just because better ammo does surface it doesn't mean we should write off the older stuff that still works ! If it's still being sold it can't be that bad .
    In 45 ACP the 185 gr. HydraShok +P load is still one of the best loads around !
    With 525 ft-lbs of muzzle energy you don't have to worry about it not dropping an assailant. Golden Sabre in the same load are the same way. Speer Gold Dots, the first bonded bullet ! These work perfectly, there's nothing wrong with them. Why wouldn't someone want to carry these ? They're a PDX1 without the teeth and hot loaded too.
    If the round or cartridge type has an excellent track record who cares how old it is, it still works that's the main thing !
    Last edited by PhillyGunslinger; December 20th, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Allegheny County)

If they worked it wouldn't be an issue, but all that damned muzzle energy you are so fucking worked up over wont mean a god damned thing if the bullet acts like a FMJ and punches through...

Speer gold dots are a good round... Not sure on the Sabers... Look at what Synergy posted. That comes from a guy that is a very valuable reference for this kind of stuff, he MIGHT no a little more than some PAFOA guy who likes what Guns and Ammo was paid to say in 1993.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by beex215 View Post
    i personally use kjhp. its strong enough to stop superman in his tracks . . .
    Not possible. Superman is faster than a speeding bullet.

I use Speer 124 gr Gold Dots.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Best 9mm defensive round

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGunslinger View Post
    What's the big deal about so called {Out Dated Ammo} ?
    ...snip...
    In 45 ACP the 185 gr. HydraShok +P load is still one of the best loads around !
    With 525 ft-lbs of muzzle energy you don't have to worry about it not dropping an assailant.
    When there is better ammo available, that performs more consistently across a wider variety of conditions, why would you want to buy a bullet that costs the same or more, that doesn't work as well as alternatives?

I work for a Federal LE distributor (not a retailer, a full distributor). We have customers waiting over 20 months for 230gr HST. We have had 185gr HydraShok (P45HS2G) sitting on the shelf the whole time...no-one wants it.

Can you point to some test data that shows how that load compares to HST/Ranger/GDHP? When no departments want it, and none of the respected terminal ballistics experts recommend it...I take that as a hint.

(Bucks County)

The best round is one you can shoot accurately. That aside, I like gold-dots, no real reason other than once apon a time I read about them and liked them.
    Hoppes #9 should be a scent in the perfume section of every store.

(Lancaster County)

Gold dots JHP +p at 124gr (I think) and some Winchester Tactical crap that was like $28 dollars for 20rds....Crazy expensive. Got the gold dots from my cousin who carries a 92fs and shot a couple of gallon water jugs that were frozen just to see what they would do....The entrance hole wasn't that impressive(typical of a 9mm) but the exit hole was about the same diameter as my thumb (maybe a little smaller) and the holes in the grouds behind the jugs were even bigger yet(I suppose the bullet was still expanding?)

I carry those because I can shoot out to 50yds accurately with them(slow fire of course) and they group nice and tight at 7-10 yards...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    (I suppose the bullet was still expanding?)
    No, you were shooting into a medium that is not ideal for expanding bullets. Thankfully bad guys are ice.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Philadelphia County)

I took the advice of my old man and filled my mags with Hornady Critical Defense.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123