Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 177 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Castle Doctrine 2011-12 session Activist effort – Please Help

OK Boys and Girls, the time has come to start anew our push for more Gun Rights here in PA. Start making the phone calls and sending in the E-mails, those who can make it, be there on January 4th to help up gather up Co-sponsors for "Castle Doctrine".

thanks
    Chris "RenegadePhoenix" Smith
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

This is exactly the type of post I have been waiting for. I will draft a letter shortly and send it by end of day today/early tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your hard work!
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    OK Boys and Girls, the time has come to start anew our push for more Gun Rights here in PA. Start making the phone calls and sending in the E-mails, those who can make it, be there on January 4th to help up gather up Co-sponsors for "Castle Doctrine".

thanks
    Chris "RenegadePhoenix" Smith
    I didn't realize we would be putting people on the ground for this on Jan 4th. Any other info?
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    I didn't realize we would be putting people on the ground for this on Jan 4th. Any other info?
    this is the swearing in of the 195th General Assembly. we will be there supporting those Pro Gun Reps who have stood by our side and to stand by those newly Elected Reps (Rep Rick Saccone) who ousted entrenched anti gunners Like Former Rep Levdansky.

while there at the capitol we will be going after Co sponsors for all of our pro gun bills that reps will be introducing.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    this is the swearing in of the 195th General Assembly. we will be there supporting those Pro Gun Reps who have stood by our side and to stand by those newly Elected Reps (Rep Rick Saccone) who ousted entrenched anti gunners Like Former Rep Levdansky.

while there at the capitol we will be going after Co sponsors for all of our pro gun bills that reps will be introducing.
    Have a detailed posting in the works waiting on key information before posting for the A-Team to go into action on day one of the session.

(Washington County)

My Rep -Jesse White has voted for this every time it has come up and he has stated that he will continue to do so. This is what his staffer told me. I believe him since he did vote for it every time.

I will continue to be a part of this and make phone calls and send faxes out. You can count on me white feather! I am excited to see this come to fruition.
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

I'm willing to send some emails but am not sure what to say as I'm just getting involved. Can we have some examples of letters and topics/expressions and examples?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bandit82ta View Post
    I'm willing to send some emails but am not sure what to say as I'm just getting involved. Can we have some examples of letters and topics/expressions and examples?
    There will be a different letter depending on whom you are sending it to (which group of Representatives). I should be able to have what I am sending this afternoon and I will post those letters. Once they are posted you can feel free to use them as well.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
    My Rep -Jesse White has voted for this every time it has come up and he has stated that he will continue to do so. This is what his staffer told me. I believe him since he did vote for it every time.

I will continue to be a part of this and make phone calls and send faxes out. You can count on me white feather! I am excited to see this come to fruition.
    Rep Jesse White is real good on our issue and made a differance in taking leadership to task last session on Castle Doctrine to get this bill to move.

THANK YOU for being one of the people we can count on to take action when the word goes out that its required.

Everyone Please contact all the Reps listed.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit82ta View Post
    Everyone take note there is no perfect letter, any letter written is better that than silent support (no action) that many do.

Sometimes it just takes a lot of letters from a bunch of people all basicly asking the same thing to get a Rep to take action.

WE by our actions give value to what we hold dear and if self defense is important to you show you support by contacting the Reps.
    This is what it takes ALL of US doing our part to support the cause IF you want it you got to speak up.

Here is last session effort its a long thread but there are numerous letters of request for sponsorship and support.

Castle Doctrine HB 40 in 09-2010 does anyone REALLY want this passed? If so please read
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ease-read.html

Here was the letter that the ACSL & Kim Stolfer wrote and hand delivered to a bunch of Reps as a example. Update or modify as required to make your point, you can also use parts of Rep Perry's memo

Keep this in mind this is NOT a firearm bill its a Self Defense bill

You will use whatever you have at hand when you are attacked, fist / feet, lamp, golf club, pencil, nail file, knife or whatever can be used to defend yourself

Legislative Position Paper & Support Request—HB 40

Castle Doctrine -Stand Your Ground

We request that you co-sponsor Rep Scott Perry’s HB 40, the Stand Your Ground bill commonly referred to as the Castle Doctrine. Currently there are 57 co-sponsors.

As you know, criminals are becoming bolder; home invasions are becoming more common and our law enforcement officers are being murdered on our urban streets by recidivist offenders. Law abiding citizens are forced to defend their family and themselves with baseball bats, golf clubs, or whatever they have available to them at the moment of attack. With the downturn in the economy, many local police departments are being downsized while other police departments are being eliminated all together, due to the deterioration of their community’s tax base. State police resources are stretched as evidenced by recent moves to charge policing fees to communities believed able to afford them.

To add insult to injury, if a constituent is fortunate or lucky enough to successfully defend themselves and in the process causes injury to a law breaker, that law abiding citizen could easily become the target of a civil lawsuit! From whom? The criminal! Yes, a citizen – maybe even you! – could become a victim again, paying attorney fees to defend yourself once again, except this time, you’ll have to defend yourself against the very government that currently denies needed legal protections and is not legally obligated to protect you! You may be forced to “pay restitution” to the attacker for alleged “diminished capacity to earn a (dis)honest living”. How equitable is that! If you or someone in your family is ever attacked by a criminal HB 40 would afford immunity from civil suits regarding yours or your loved one’s use of force to protect oneself.

Under HB 40 citizens would have no legal duty to retreat when confronted by criminals. Under HB 40 citizen’s can protect their family and property in a life or death situation, without fear of being prosecuted in court for using force to stop criminal acts. Note that HB 40 has been specifically crafted so there are no allowances for criminal intent. Any illegal activity on the part of the property owner or legal resident would nullify any legal defense. Also included, is a provision that does not allow for challenging the legal authority of law enforcement, nor does it allow “a shoot first ask questions later mentality”. It grants citizens the authority to stop a crime when it is occurring in front of them that places them in danger of serious bodily harm or death. HB 40 also gives notice to repeat violent criminals that crime will no longer be tolerated by citizens who refuse to be their victims.

A note on similar bills from past sessions:
    • HB 2231, was approved by an overwhelming majority (151-42) in a special house session in Sept 2006, but died before the House and Senate could take formal action.
    • HB 641, in the 2007-08 session wasn’t brought up for a vote in the judiciary committee despite overwhelming citizen support and numerous promises from leadership for a straight up or down vote in that session during the debates on HB 1845.
    “Stand your ground” bills have been enacted in numerous states over the last several years. We must have such statutory protections in Pennsylvania!

Thank you for your consideration and support; please join 57 of your colleagues as co-sponsors of this important legislation
    If you still need more ideas for your letters read this thread it contains the written and verbal testimony on Nov 19, 2009 from both sides.
    Breaking News DA.s oppose your rights to self defense
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...f-defense.html

Here is a brief outline of this past session effort to get this enacted into law.

In the 2009-2010 session this was known as HB 40 it had 131 sponsors

In Sept 2009 44 Reps signed a letter asking for a hearing and vote in Judiciary committee

In the House Judiciary committee on May 25, 2010 it passed 22 to 4

In Sept 2010 it had 82 sponsors on the discharge petition resolution which forced the vote in Appropriations committee

In the House Appropriations committee on Sept 29, 2010 it passed 26 to 8

In the final Full house vote on Oct 5, 2010 passed 159 to 38.

It went over to the senate and was amended to HB 1926 which passed by 41-8

Which after passing a concurrence vote in house after Election Day.

It finally made it to the governor desk, which was ultimately vetoed the bill on the 10th day or two days before the last day in of the session in 2010.

(Monroe County)

Email sent

Page 2 of 177 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast