Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Question on penalty...

What is the penalty (degree of misdemeanor or felony) if someone got caught with a firearm locked in their vehicle on school property? The person does have a valid LTCF.
    Last edited by steelmover; December 14th, 2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Better question
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Question on penalty...

If someone where to have a gun in their vehicle on school property in the trunk of a car, I believe it would be a felony but I am not a lawyer and not entirely sure. There is a lawyer on the forum (GunLawyer) and I believe he had a case of another here that had a gun in their car while on school property. You might be able to find it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    Last edited by acosenza2; December 14th, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Chester County)

Violation of 18 Pa CSA 912 is a first degree misdemeanor (M1). M1s carry a max sentence of 5 years IIRC.
    IANAL

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by steelmover View Post
    What is the penalty (degree of misdemeanor or felony) if someone got caught with a firearm locked in their vehicle on school property? The person does have a valid LTCF.
    There is now case law that supports the "other legal purpose" language in this statute.

Look around this site, you should be able to find the threads on this topic.

IANAL, nor am I advising you to carry on school property. If you found your self in this situation AND YOU HAVE A DECENT LAWYER you should make out ok.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    There is now case law that supports the "other legal purpose" language in this statute.
    From what I understand, the Anfuso case did not create caselaw. It's an example of an acquittal because of the "other lawful purpose" defense.

IANAL either

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    From what I understand, the Anfuso case did not create caselaw. It's an example of an acquittal because of the "other lawful purpose" defense.

IANAL either
    This was my understanding as well.

IANAL either.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

IANAL either
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    This was my understanding as well.

IANAL either.
    I guess I have demonstrated my lack of legal expertise... I thought that's what case law was... I stand corrected.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I guess I have demonstrated my lack of legal expertise... I thought that's what case law was... I stand corrected.
    I am no expert by far... It's my understanding that case law was not established because the case didn't progress high enough through the court system. A lower court can't establish case law or some such. At least I think that's what I remember reading in the Anfuso thread. Perhaps someone else will be along to better explain. I swear law makers make shit as confusing as possible just to keep an edge over the average joe.

Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    I am no expert by far... It's my understanding that case law was not established because the case didn't progress high enough through the court system. A lower court can't establish case law or some such. At least I think that's what I remember reading in the Anfuso thread. Perhaps someone else will be along to better explain. I swear law makers make shit as confusing as possible just to keep an edge over the average joe.
    Case law is a decision by a court that is binding on all lower courts, or at least persuasive authority for parallel courts. Trial courts (Common Pleas) are the lowest rung that can handle misdemeanor and felonies.

We would have needed to lose the case in Common Pleas, then won in Superior Court, in order to make case law. Because we won, all we have is an example of a factual circumstance where one judge correctly read "other lawful purpose" to mean "a purpose which is not unlawful".

If it had gone any other way, then possessing anything with the potential to hurt someone would be punishable by 5 years in prison, unless you possessed it for a "school related" purpose. Cars kill 30,000 Americans every year, and seriously injure many times that; they easily fit the definition of a weapon. Is your car parked on school grounds as part of a supervised school activity? How about that tire iron in your trunk, were you planning on using that in Calculus 101? And what about that arsenal that you call a "tool kit", with hammers and pointy screw drivers?

No, "lawful purpose" really has to be as broad as the definition of "weapon" in this statute. It can't be a 1st degree misdemeanor to have an ice scraper in your car.

(Lehigh County)

what kind of school is it??? cuz when i was at college i refered to it as school... if its a college it depends on the schools policy... but its not againts the law at a university... i believe its what, a primary or secondary school(k-12)?? im probably wrong so correct me if need be but thats what i believe i was told a while back on here...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast