Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Draco (AK pistol) for vehicle?

I would like to start by stating that I normally do not have a weapon in the vehicle unless it is the one I am carrying on my person, but I think I would like to get a built in lockable safe-like compartment installed in my SUV. If I chose to do so, I think I would like to use a weapon with good firepower. I consider myself a survival enthusiast, and I guess I use the "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" mentality.

I would rather keep a rifle than an AK pistol, but as you probably know PA does not allow for storing loaded rifles in the vehicle even with a license to carry. If I do choose to store a Draco (even in a locked safe compartment) I am concerned with possible consequences from law enforcement even if no laws are being broken. I would imagine that they would hassle me because of the "assault" weapon. I understand that I do not have to disclose information about weapons in the car even when asked, but I try to be cooperative and truthful in instances where I deal with LEOs.

I am particularly concerned with Philly PD because I do often work in the city (my work requires me to travel to various locations, but all are in PA). Is there anything I should know before I do this? Should I just cave and not use the Draco and just get another Glock for the car? Or should I just avoid this altogether and not store anything in my vehicle?

I just want to be adequately prepared for SHTF scenarios. I used to live in L.A. as a child, and I remember seeing riots on tv back in '92... then seeing Katrina in '05. It doesn't take much to make good people go bad.

Your responses are appreciated!
    Security without liberty is called prison.

Default Re: Draco (AK pistol) for vehicle?

Register a short-barreled rifle, then the prohibition on loaded transport doesn't apply; your LTCF covers it.

Of course, if you ever have to use the thing in a defensive situation, you're handicapping yourself and whatever lawyer you can afford. Exotic weapons don't sell well to cops or DA's or juries.

As for Philadelphia, it's pretty much the legal equivalent of North Korea; the minions of the government will do what they want, when they want, and with the degree of force and destruction that seems like fun at the moment.

Unlike North Korea, if you survive the initial encounter, you will eventually get access to the court system, where someone may possibly compare the written statutes to the situation at hand. But that probably won't happen anytime between the initial stop, and the last time you beg for your medication and/or phone calls from the wrong side of some iron bars.

Much like that loose woman who all your friends have slept with, Philadelphia is a place that you really shouldn't enter. But if you do, take some protection.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Much like that loose woman who all your friends have slept with, Philadelphia is a place that you really shouldn't enter. But if you do, take some protection.

Always something to live by, lol well said GunLawyer!

(Schuylkill County)

Same thing Gunlawyer said:

http://www.arsenalinc.com/aks-74u.htm

Register a short-barreled rifle, then the prohibition on loaded transport doesn't apply; your LTCF covers it.
    I never knew that. Is this true for SBS as well? Do you have a link to this?

Also to the OP, if the Draco is in a built in safe - I'm having a hard time coming up with a situation in which the LEO would ever even be allowed access to / see it?

Quote Originally Posted by DVE View Post
    I never knew that. Is this true for SBS as well? Do you have a link to this?
    . . .
    It's right in the UFA, in the 6102 definition of "firearm" and the statute that prohibits carrying loaded guns "other than firearms".

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by the Rep Nazis
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GunLawyer001 again.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JB19Kilo View Post
    I would like to start by stating that I normally do not have a weapon in the vehicle unless it is the one I am carrying on my person, but I think I would like to get a built in lockable safe-like compartment installed in my SUV. If I chose to do so, I think I would like to use a weapon with good firepower. I consider myself a survival enthusiast, and I guess I use the "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" mentality.

I would rather keep a rifle than an AK pistol, but as you probably know PA does not allow for storing loaded rifles in the vehicle even with a license to carry. If I do choose to store a Draco (even in a locked safe compartment) I am concerned with possible consequences from law enforcement even if no laws are being broken. I would imagine that they would hassle me because of the "assault" weapon. I understand that I do not have to disclose information about weapons in the car even when asked, but I try to be cooperative and truthful in instances where I deal with LEOs.

I am particularly concerned with Philly PD because I do often work in the city (my work requires me to travel to various locations, but all are in PA). Is there anything I should know before I do this? Should I just cave and not use the Draco and just get another Glock for the car? Or should I just avoid this altogether and not store anything in my vehicle?

I just want to be adequately prepared for SHTF scenarios. I used to live in L.A. as a child, and I remember seeing riots on tv back in '92... then seeing Katrina in '05. It doesn't take much to make good people go bad.

Your responses are appreciated!
    Here is a summary of the issues and criticisms of the post above:

Carry an unloaded rifle in your car with lots of ammo. Getting a rifle loaded should not take very long, especially with practice.

However, I am not a proponent of leaving long guns or short guns inside of cars, especially when in high crime areas. However, the choice is yours.

AK pistols are not better defensive weapons then say a full sized glock with a bunch of reloads. The cartridge (7.62x39) was not designed for a short barrel and will make massive fireballs from the muzzle while producing less than stellar ballistics. The AK pistols are a gimmick that are not very effective. If I needed something like that I would be happier with an XDM in 9mm and six extra magazines (If I did not have access to my Bushmaster rifle).

Why be truthful and honest with a police force that is looking for ways to prosecute you. Are you aware that you have the right to not incriminate yourself? You also have the right to be secure in your person and effects. Watch the video and learn:

Speaking of SHTF scenarios I would argue that a handgun would be far superior for defense in an urban environment. Note, I said defense... not offense. Carrying a large weapon (really big AK pistol, or a longarm) makes on a target for whomever is armed be it police, national guard or the locals. Having a weapon hidden on oneself yet being able to quickly deploy it would most likely increase the chances of survival. In short, a big weapon out for everyone to see makes you a target for both the authorities and the natives.

The authorities should be a large concern. If there was any kind of large emergency it would behoove one to leave the area immediately. Being that we are talking urban terrain that would most likely mean that the roads are jammed and not a reasonable means of egress. Again, while walking to safety a concealed handgun would be far superior for survival. Note, during states of emergency (Katrine, etc) the "good guys" have been known to take weapons from the citizens and leave them in an area with bandits defenseless. Consider that.

You cannot shoot your way out of a city, walking, running, bicycling or driving is a much better idea. In the event of a major disturbance or state of emergency, the carrying of something like an AK pistol will be far more dangerous than having a Glock or two.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cambria County)

How much longer is a Draco compared to a full size AK with a folding stock? Do you really save that much by going to the Draco? Just load up a couple mags and keep them in a seperate box while traveling. The folding stock will allow you to extend it for better control should you need it.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    How much longer is a Draco compared to a full size AK with a folding stock? Do you really save that much by going to the Draco? Just load up a couple mags and keep them in a seperate box while traveling. The folding stock will allow you to extend it for better control should you need it.
    An inch and a half roughly, depending on an underfolder vs. side folder or the compensator on the end of it. I have a Draco for situations where rifles make for a hassle on interstate travel (even folded). LTCF recognizing states means the Draco is good to go! I have that for legal reasons; if I was looking for a "trunk" or truck gun, I'd go with the folding AK. If you're gonna go AK, go all the way.

The advice posted above is the way to go though...I'd rather have a concealable pistol and a shit-ton of mags so I can go from unassuming to a firestorm and back again when I want. The Draco makes that hard to do...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast