Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1A Or PTR-91

(Lehigh County)

Default M1A Or PTR-91

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THE AR-10 platform. Just to get that outta the way. so don't mention it. I am asking between THESE TWO RIFLES..

I am currrently in the market for either of these two rilfes.
    Which one should i go for? and Why?

I would b getting the PTR-91 with the 18" barrel. The M1A Would b the scout squad from S.A.

I am wondering how well these rifles compare and which would you choose..

Im looking at it this way. The M1A is a little more expensive. and lacks a pistol grip and cheap mags. The PTR-91 is a somewhat top of the line knockoff of a H&K G3 and from what I've read they preform rather well.

Please guys Don't tell me "oh well Buy a FAL or a AR-10" Im not interested in those.. I want to know about the Two rifles I am talking about. FROM experience!! please.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: M1A Or PTR-91

Buy an Ar-10...

J/k...

Here's a link that already has some useful information that you're looking for...

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/395...cetme-m1a.html
    III%

From experience:

The M1A are not built on mil spec receivers(for me, that is the biggest downfall of them). They are alright though in the sense of being a decent rifle. I didn't think magazines were all that hard to come by, I'm pretty sure some surplus places have them. Where I am at now, we have M14s(yes, M14s that take a squad leader's key). Not sure what the specific M1A you are talking about shoots in terms of accuracy with optics. The non-mil spec receiver really turns me off though. The Idea of putting one in a JAE stock does turn be back on.

The G3/HK91 is a blowback operated rifle with a fluted chamber(which is supposed to aid in reliability). It is hard on brass(if you can find it) if you reload. It is a decently accurate 1-3moa rifle. The PTR variant is the best bang for the buck in this style of rifle. If I were going to buy a G3/HK91, it would be a PTR-91.

If I were to buy one of the two, that's tough, I'd probably go with the PTR-91. If you were to step it up a notch and talk about any M14 design to G3 design available on the market right now, I would go with and LRB M25(Drilled and tapped M14) receiver as my base in a JAE stock.

What has you set on the M1A and PTR-91? What has you against getting an AR-10 and the FN FAL?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Centre County)

I've never owned a PTR-91, but if it's as similar to the G3 as they say it is, it will likely trash your brass upon ejection, so don't plan on reloading for it unless you get a port buffer, which should help. But if you don't plan on reloading, that shouldn't be a concern.

Also, current USGI M14/M1A mags can be had fairly cheap from 44mag.com, at $25 shipped for 20 rd mags and $36 for 25 rd mags. Not as cheap as G3 mags, but not too ridiculous.

Again, I can't say much about the PTR, but things I like about the M14/M1A platform (seems I've been doing this a lot these days):

1) Easy on the recoil for fast shooting
    2) Tons of upgrade options, premium barrels, stocks, etc. You can totally transform it over the long-haul from a wooden stock classic army rifle to a precision tacticool rifle (i.e JAE, Sage, Vltor stocks)
    3) Great factory iron sights
    4) History in the US Military
    5) I don't feel obligated to clean it as much as my AR, although I do it anyway

Of course, the price is a big issue, it all depends on how much cabbage you want to drop.

good luck on your decision,

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    From experience:

The M1A are not built on mil spec receivers(for me, that is the biggest downfall of them). They are alright though in the sense of being a decent rifle. I didn't think magazines were all that hard to come by, I'm pretty sure some surplus places have them. Where I am at now, we have M14s(yes, M14s that take a squad leader's key). Not sure what the specific M1A you are talking about shoots in terms of accuracy with optics. The non-mil spec receiver really turns me off though. The Idea of putting one in a JAE stock does turn be back on.

The G3/HK91 is a blowback operated rifle with a fluted chamber(which is supposed to aid in reliability). It is hard on brass(if you can find it) if you reload. It is a decently accurate 1-3moa rifle. The PTR variant is the best bang for the buck in this style of rifle. If I were going to buy a G3/HK91, it would be a PTR-91.

If I were to buy one of the two, that's tough, I'd probably go with the PTR-91. If you were to step it up a notch and talk about any M14 design to G3 design available on the market right now, I would go with and LRB M25(Drilled and tapped M14) receiver as my base in a JAE stock.

What has you set on the M1A and PTR-91? What has you against getting an AR-10 and the FN FAL?
    Not a fan of AR systems Too much extra bullshit to clean and take apart. I just don't care for the FAL looks and design. that's all No real reason. It's just my way of knowing what I want.

(Centre County)

Ditto, I currently have an order placed

(Montgomery County)

I can't speak for the M1A, but I have a PTR-91 and I'm very happy with it.
    It's heavy as heck, but that's actually a good thing when it comes to shooting. The roller-delay blowback design does kick like a mule. There is more felt recoil than an FAL.

As for reloading, I do reload for it. The port buffer is a must or it the brass will be usable. As it is the extractor makes a nice big nick in the rim and if you don't clean that up you will get failures to eject.

So it has it's issues, but I'm enjoying it. Easy to work on too.

(Allegheny County)

My biggest issue with the G3 and its clones is the rear sight. It is set back way to far for me. IMHO the rear sight on the M1A is far superior. All other things being equal I would choose the M1A.

(Elk County)

. . . The M1A are not built on mil spec receivers . . . The non-mil spec receiver really turns me off . . .
    I can understand where you're coming from, however given a MIL-spec forging in 1960 and a CNC-machined casting in 2010, I'm not sure that I mind as much as I once did. There's been vast improvements in process control since 1960, and castings when done right and with tight process control don't have to take a back seat, IMO.

As an aside, the M14 was the first US Military small arm that was manufactured with the benefit of the first CNC machining process technology, courtesy of Thompson-Ramo-Wooldridge (TRW). TRW had NO experience making firearms, and when awarded the contract for M14s, the TRW design and manufacturing team in Cleveland looked at making the M14 as an exercise in making a machine, not a firearm. They didn't have old firearm-making paradigms to follow, and right from the start TRW employed 1960s state of art CNC equipment. As a result, TRW delivered on the contract early and under budget, and had the LOWEST reject rate on M14 components and assembled firearms of any of the three contractors.

My choice would be the M1A if the OP intends to reload. H&K weapons can be hard on brass. If there's no reloading involved, then the PTR would be my choice due to platform versatility and availability of inexpensive magazines.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Delaware County)

Unless you can get your hands on an SG-1 or PSG-1 trigger group, G3 triggers suck, PTR-91 included. They can be made better, but usually not as good as a Geissele trigger in an AR-10 or a good M1A target trigger. Maybe I'm just spoiled?

For some reason the G3 pattern rifles seem to have a lot of recoil. HK rifles and subguns will not lock back after the last round, which is something that bothers me. The barrels are very difficult to change out, pressed-in and held in place with welded-in pins. I also can't move the selector without moving my hand out of a firing grip.

Besides being rather expensive, I don't really have anything bad to say about M1As. If you are going for real accuracy, expect to rebed the action after a few thousand rounds, unless you put the action in one of those chassis stocks.

I have an AR-10 and a FAL. Almost bought an M1A Scout a couple years ago, but decided I didn't need it.
    Last edited by Suburban; December 13th, 2010 at 06:09 PM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast