Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Interesting day at the range.....

So, I get a call from my FIL......a friend bought a ton of guns from an estate (actually a mutual friend of both).....he asks me to come over and take a look.

Wow, what a collection...2 S&W's in 357 & 44mag (Highway patrolman models), a Glock 19, Ruger p89, Sig 226 and a Desert Eagle in 357 and a Colt 1911 A1 (built in 1943 from what I could gather). We scooped them up & headed to the range with all of the 9mm's.

Impressions? I never shot a Glock before, but never liked how they felt in hand. That all changed after I actually FIRED one. I have to admit, the 19 is a damn fine pistol. Both my FIL & I were shooting way low with it, but dead nuts center. We're talking 6" + at 10yds. Felt recoil was very mild & the pistol was solid in hand.

Next was the Ruger P89. Fit & finish LOOKED very good, however while shooting it, the slide felt very sloppy & it felt like I was holding onto a spinning hubcap. Strange feeling, but I was decently accurate with it. I hated the mag release button.....pushing it forward instead of inwards. The big heavy slide really tamed recoil (not that it's an issue with 9mm anyway).

Next was the Sig 226. Now I know why these cost a bunch of money. Fit & finish was impeccable....controls were intuitive and easy to operate. I was the most accurate with this gun by far! Very fast double taps were so easy to do. I think this weapon compares very favorably to my Beretta 92FS. I can now see why so many people compare the two. I really, REALLY want that Sig. It would be incredibly hard to choose between the Beretta and Sig.

I then broke out my Steyr M40......which I have a hard time hitting the broadside of a barn with....at 5 yds....handed it to my FIL and he proceeded to put 12 rounds in the 10 ring and shrugged his shoulders and stated that he really liked it & was easy to aim with the trapezoidal sights. Go figure!

So, there you have it....not too often I get to shoot that many different guns at one time! Now I drank that Glock and Sig cool-aide, I really want one of each! I really wish we had the time to get ammo for the Desert Eagle and Colt though.....

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Interesting day at the range.....

Quote Originally Posted by QUADZILLA View Post
    So, I get a call from my FIL......a friend bought a ton of guns from an estate (actually a mutual friend of both).....he asks me to come over and take a look.

Wow, what a collection...2 S&W's in 357 & 44mag (Highway patrolman models), a Glock 19, Ruger p89, Sig 226 and a Desert Eagle in 357 and a Colt 1911 A1 (built in 1943 from what I could gather). We scooped them up & headed to the range with all of the 9mm's.

Impressions? I never shot a Glock before, but never liked how they felt in hand. That all changed after I actually FIRED one. I have to admit, the 19 is a damn fine pistol. Both my FIL & I were shooting way low with it, but dead nuts center. We're talking 6" + at 10yds. Felt recoil was very mild & the pistol was solid in hand.

Next was the Ruger P89. Fit & finish LOOKED very good, however while shooting it, the slide felt very sloppy & it felt like I was holding onto a spinning hubcap. Strange feeling, but I was decently accurate with it. I hated the mag release button.....pushing it forward instead of inwards. The big heavy slide really tamed recoil (not that it's an issue with 9mm anyway).

Next was the Sig 226. Now I know why these cost a bunch of money. Fit & finish was impeccable....controls were intuitive and easy to operate. I was the most accurate with this gun by far! Very fast double taps were so easy to do. I think this weapon compares very favorably to my Beretta 92FS. I can now see why so many people compare the two. I really, REALLY want that Sig. It would be incredibly hard to choose between the Beretta and Sig.

I then broke out my Steyr M40......which I have a hard time hitting the broadside of a barn with....at 5 yds....handed it to my FIL and he proceeded to put 12 rounds in the 10 ring and shrugged his shoulders and stated that he really liked it & was easy to aim with the trapezoidal sights. Go figure!

So, there you have it....not too often I get to shoot that many different guns at one time! Now I drank that Glock and Sig cool-aide, I really want one of each! I really wish we had the time to get ammo for the Desert Eagle and Colt though.....
    that selection must have had a hefty price tag, did he mention how much he paid for them all?
    Springfield XD9 5" tactical

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SpringFieldTactical View Post
    that selection must have had a hefty price tag, did he mention how much he paid for them all?
    That's the killer....he bought EVERY gun this guy had for one price (which Im not sure of at this point).

They guy he bought them from was interesting.....if he bought a Glock (say the 19) and liked how it shot & felt, he would go out and buy EVERY model Glock made....yes EVERY one! The 26,30,19,17, etc....The same with the Sig. The new owner went and bought 3 safes to keep them in. He also got a full auto Thompson, M16 and AK (yes, ALL full auto). This was a very small sampling of what he had bought. My FIL is in the market for a carry weapon & he wanted to try the Glock. Some of these are actually for sale to his friends & I think my FIL can get the Glock for a song....I'm hoping the Sig too, because I'd love to have it for 3-gun. I'm not sure if the guy knows what he has with the Colt, but I suspect it's worth $1k-3K from what research I was able to do.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by QUADZILLA View Post
    That's the killer....he bought EVERY gun this guy had for one price (which Im not sure of at this point).

They guy he bought them from was interesting.....if he bought a Glock (say the 19) and liked how it shot & felt, he would go out and buy EVERY model Glock made....yes EVERY one! The 26,30,19,17, etc....The same with the Sig. The new owner went and bought 3 safes to keep them in. He also got a full auto Thompson, M16 and AK (yes, ALL full auto). This was a very small sampling of what he had bought. My FIL is in the market for a carry weapon & he wanted to try the Glock. Some of these are actually for sale to his friends & I think my FIL can get the Glock for a song....I'm hoping the Sig too, because I'd love to have it for 3-gun. I'm not sure if the guy knows what he has with the Colt, but I suspect it's worth $1k-3K from what research I was able to do.
    wow thats awesome. now thats a great gun collection, 3 safes of guns, damn. and i guess thats a pretty quick way to figure out what carry gun hed like : buy an assortment and choose
    Springfield XD9 5" tactical

What I find amusing about this thread, is that the OP and those that follow, go on and on about all the pistols. Outside of the first sentence of the second paragraph, of the OP, not a word is mentioned about the wheelguns - two N-Frames that are among the finest revolvers made. Just a point of clarity - if one was a .44 mag, then it wasn't a "Highway Patrolman" model. That monniker is used (rollmarked on the barrel IIRC) only for the model 28, a workingman's .357 magnum. The plain-Jane version of the fancier model 27. The .44 would be a famed model 29.

Dependent on the age of the revolvers, you will probably find the model numbers stamped on the frame under the crane. If they are pre-1957 then there will be no model number as S&W didn't start using that naming convention until then. If that's the case you have some wheelguns that are worth some coin, providing they are in very good to excellent condition. Even early "named" models....hell even late models are worth good money. These are primo S&W's. Would very much like to hear more about them, especially the .44.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Three safes full of guns in one transaction! It's taken me 50 years to get to that point. (I ain't done yet, though.)
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    What I find amusing about this thread, is that the OP and those that follow, go on and on about all the pistols. Outside of the first sentence of the second paragraph, of the OP, not a word is mentioned about the wheelguns - two N-Frames that are among the finest revolvers made. Just a point of clarity - if one was a .44 mag, then it wasn't a "Highway Patrolman" model. That monniker is used (rollmarked on the barrel IIRC) only for the model 28, a workingman's .357 magnum. The plain-Jane version of the fancier model 27. The .44 would be a famed model 29.

Dependent on the age of the revolvers, you will probably find the model numbers stamped on the frame under the crane. If they are pre-1957 then there will be no model number as S&W didn't start using that naming convention until then. If that's the case you have some wheelguns that are worth some coin, providing they are in very good to excellent condition. Even early "named" models....hell even late models are worth good money. These are primo S&W's. Would very much like to hear more about them, especially the .44.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    TRUST me, I would have loved to play with the wheel guns....2 reasons I didn't....I had no ammo for them on hand and the weather was turning ugly. I simply didn't have the extra 45 minutes to run to Walmart for ammo. Secondly, those two S&W's were unfired. Since they weren't my guns (even though we had permission to go out play) I knew that they were worth some good money and out of respect, I didn't feel comfortable being the one to shoot them! They truly were beautiful!

(Berks County)

You could of called me... I would of brought some ammo Sounds like you had a great time, good for you

(Butler County)

Are FFLs needed for estate sales? Just curious.

Very cool... and yes SIgs are dreamy...

oh and thx for the invite
    Tantric Shooting Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast