Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Firearm collectors who live in apartments

I rent a house with 4 other guys I go to school with. I keep a few of my self defense/SHTF and favorite shooting firearms with me and the rest back home with the parents. I use a small stack on style gun cabinet and I brought it in when the neighbors weren't around. I also always have my firearms in a bag or case when I walk in and out. The cabinet is in my bedroom which is locked all the time if I'm not in there. My roommates are a little more lax, guns laying all over their rooms, sometimes in the living room and dining room, etc., to each their own. You can tell them but they don't really care, and I don't as long as the ammo isn't with the firearm.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    I need to get my own place and I can't buy a house so I'm pretty much stuck renting.

I really want to take my guns with me but not sure how that would work in an apartment as I have 2 gun safes. 1 large and 1 small.

I'm looking for a 2 bedroom apartment so I can have my office in 1 room (work from home). Just worried about space and weight, especially if I have to go with a 2nd floor or higher apartment. Getting the safes up the steps would be a huge PITA and then is the floor going to be able to support them?

How are you apartment dwellers and firearms collectors going about this?
    I wouldn't worry about weight. I had 90 and 110 gallon fish tanks on second and third floors.

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    My safe weighs 920lbs empty. I'm guessing around 1050 to 1100lbs with stuff in it. I would not put that weight (concentrated on that small of an area) on a floor without reenforcing it....unless it was a commercial building....or a basement. I'm not an expert but I would worry that the floor would bow over time.
    A queen size water bed holds about 250-300 gallons of water, water weighs about 8# per gallon, that's approximatley 2000 - 2500 # plus the weight of the frame.

I have my safe, over 1000# on a wooden floor in a older home, in a corner . . . no issues, been there for three years so far
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Philadelphia County)

I had about 6 guns when I lived in an apartment. We had good locks on our door as well as the outside door. I had a locking chest that I kept them in along with other things.
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    If I lived in a aparment building (been there) a safe isn't pratical.
    It's been pretty "pratical" for me over the last five or so years.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Lancaster County)

I'm in an apartment and have a safe and it does double duty for other household valuables. No way would I not have it. I really regret not having one before I was married and had various different roommates, in hindsight most of whom had very questionable friends.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; December 14th, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12