Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Survival Skills 100

Extremis Outfitters is offering an 8 hour course in the following subjects:

Survival Principles
    Water Procurement
    Fire Craft (w/ practical application outside)
    Shelters
    Land Navigation (to include GPS overview and practical application)
    Survival Kits
    Signaling
    Field Expedient Packs
    Cold Weather Operations
    Many other topics covered within context of the above

I'm Charlton Evans (I picked up the callsign "Pinto" while flying Harriers for the USMC) I will be teaching the class. 10 years active USMC, 3 of which I spent running the East Coast USN/USMC Survival School in Maine. This course will be ideal for Hunters, Hikers, Campers, Outdoorsmen and anyone else who wants to be best prepared to deal with the unexpected. Terminal Learning Objective for students is to survive 24-72 hours without assistance if lost, injured, disoriented or otherwise separated from civilization, and subsequently get yourself recovered and home safely.

Class starts at 0800 and will be indoors and out, dress for the weather, bring a lunch.
    Coffee and light refreshments available gratis.

Dates available are published in the flyer available at the website and on request. Mobile Training Team (MTT) capable for minimal prorated travel fee (distance, time taken into account).

Edit: 13 Jan 08 Course will be conducted at the Langhorne Rod and Gun Club just North of Philly: http://langhornerodandgunclub.org

Call for an application and details to include location (TBD), more on my background if desired and other courses that we can offer. (724) 234-4115 email: cme@extremisoutfitters.com

Gift Certificates available!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Survival Skills 100

Thanks, Charlton ..for the mention.

I've cut/pasted the announcement for the event at LRGC (SE PA, just north of Philly)

We're looking forward to 'sponsoring' Pinto in the area , as it complements our Practical Rifle, Pistol, and Precision Rifle programs.

Please note contact address for this location.

Pacer

Title: " Winter Survival-Surviving the unexpected night out"
    When: January 13th, 8AM till about 6
    Where: LanghorneRodandGunClub.org
    251 Stoneyford Road, Holland PA 18966 (use Northampton as the town for GPS and google)
    Cost: $65.00 includes a cold lunch
    Who: Charlton Evans, USMC Aviator and SERE Instructor, and USMCR Match Shooter

WHAT: Went out hunting, of scouting, and got caught in a white out? Driving to the grand's and your disabled car gets covered with snow?

"Pinto" from AR-15 will review the essentials of winter survival in this
    8-9 hour training evolution conducted on the grounds of the LanghorneRodandGunClub.org this January.

Basic Survival Principles:
    When to stay put and when to move out.
    Land navigation (Map, GPS, and Compass) Finding/Creating shelter from the elements Fire making Procuring water Hypothermia-prevention and Self Rescue

And more.

Anyone who has attended our Practical or Precision Rifle events knows that there's way more work to do in order to round out one's training. Many instructors recommend you attend at least two courses a year that are in ASSOCIATED disciplines to marksmanship skills. This one, and the upcoming field GSW treatment course are excellent examples, and both take place when people's schedules are traditionally free.

Please contact Freddy (Fargo007) at langhorne@langhornerodandgunclub.org to register.

Redcoat Guest

I apologise, I was reading thru posts and saw this one. It is an absolute bargain, especially for someone who was thinking about dipping a toe into survival and outdoor skills training.

I live in the Uk and do not know 'Pinto' or any of his friends, but I do know that a course like this would see very little change from $150.00 - $200.00 just for one day. If I lived in PA I would be at it like a flash, you never know what you might learn or who you might meet.

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: Survival Skills 100

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    I apologise, I was reading thru posts and saw this one. It is an absolute bargain, especially for someone who was thinking about dipping a toe into survival and outdoor skills training.
    Welcome aboard Redcoat (love the callsign!) Thanks for the plug. You are correct about a couple of things there, it is inexpensive for the content and it IS just a "dipping of the toe" so to speak. Although we'll cover a broad array of topics and do a little bit of practical application, the real learning comes when you go out and apply all the skills for fun or training...hopefully both!

I live in the Uk and do not know 'Pinto' or any of his friends, but I do know that a course like this would see very little change from $150.00 - $200.00 just for one day. If I lived in PA I would be at it like a flash, you never know what you might learn or who you might meet.
    I'm in SW PA. If you're ever near Pittsburgh give me a shout.

As to who I am, in a nutshell:

My name is Charlton Evans. I grew up in Murrysville, PA and graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1994, accepting a commission into the United States Marine Corps. I served on active duty as an AV-8B Harrier Pilot and the director of the Navy/Marine Corps Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape (SERE) School in Brunswick Maine. I am currently the Vice President of a family owned and operated medical technology company here in Murrysville (Sense Tech. Inc.) and the founder of Extremis Outfitters (yes, I know thats not how you spell it in Latin). I am also a Major in the United States Marine Corps Reserve and Captain of the USMCR Rifle Team. We represent the USMC Reserve in national level rifle competitions and provide marksmanship training to deploying Marine Corps Reserve units.

The company moto: Ex Ambiguitas, Solutio ("from uncertainty, answers")

Thanks for the kind words. Also, thanks for the nice design on the airplane I flew and porter beer in general. Both much appreciated!

(Westmoreland County)

Excellent class! Charlton did a great job explaining all of this unfamiliar information (to me at least). Everything from building fires (much easier ways than I have been doing), to building a shelter, use of compass and GPS. Putting together a survival pack to finding and procuring water.

Highly recommended!

Time and money well spent!
    Captain

(Westmoreland County)

Outstanding! I've had some previous background in outdoor survival, but nothing like this. I learned a lot today. It was quite obvious that Charlton knows this subject well and he is very good at conveying that information to his students. The fire starting, water procurement and kit assemblage segments alone were worth the tuition and time spent. I highly recommend Charlton's Survival Skills 100 to anyone who spends time outdoors or is concerned about general survival skills. It is a skill set that you may never use, but if you need it, you really need it, and it may just save your life.

If you have the opportunity to take this class, do it. You will be pleased that you did.

(Westmoreland County)

I'm glad to read these positive reviews. I wanted to attend but had to work today. Looking forward to attending one of these classes.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the kind words gents! I just logged on to report the first class a success, with 0 students left in the woods. Glad to see you beat me too it, thats high praise!

I'll continue to tweak the class to best suit the students needs and desires. You input, good bad and ugly is welcome. I learned a good bit today myself!

I'll continue to earn the business of all willing students...

Ex Ambiguitas, Solutio

Charlton "Pinto" Evans

P.S. Currently 1 signed up for the 15th...I'm running it, with improvements based on todays experience.
    Last edited by Pinto; December 8th, 2007 at 09:44 PM. Reason: forgot to note next class

(Westmoreland County)

Todays class was better..little less theory, lots more hands on! Will probably lean even more that direction next class. We ended up "happy campers" having put the fire craft skills to a good test in a windy sleet storm. Nice work M. Jr and Sr! Pics to follow soon.

Pic added:[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Pinto; December 23rd, 2007 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added Picture

(Allegheny County)

I would be interested in attending this course.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast