Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bradford County)

Default Help me Convince my Dad

I need your help PAFOA. I just got my gun that I plan to start carrying when I turn 21 (Late February). Me and my dad were talking about it and I said how I plan to carry it everyday, even in the house. I explained that you never know when bad things can happen to you, even in your own house. I also said it's easier to put it on at the start of the day and not have to worry about taking it off and putting it back on throughout the day.

He claimed this was illogical, even though when I asked why he had no reasons. At first he said I was crazy, then he hinted at us getting in an argument and me drawing on him. This really pissed me off, because, trust me, we get in heated arguments a lot and I've never made any moves or hints towards getting one of the guns I'd had since I was 18.

He said to come on here and see what you guys said, because he thinks you will all call me crazy, but I know most of you do this. So if you could, Poofa, explain why it's a good idea to carry all the time, even in the house?

I honestly think he's scared of guns, or scared of me with guns. Not sure why, but either way it's pretty irrational. I think we will have to agree to disagree.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Help me Convince my Dad

When I get out of bed the holster goes on. When I get into bed the holster comes off and sits on the nightstand right next to my head. Repeat. If I do nothing but sit in the recliner all day, the gun is on my side.

You never know when an innocent sounding knock at the door could lead to a couple of guys posing as utility workers, sales reps, religion pushers, guys in need of a helping hand, etc, trying to force their way into the house. Sometimes you have no warning, just stranger(s) barging in on you. Do a search and you will find that not only are home invasions becoming more common, they are becoming more violent. They occur at any time of day or night. You may or may not have the chance to retreat to a different room to retrieve your gun.

I do not think you are crazy. Some may call you paranoid, so be it. Let them say what they will. Just hope you never have the chance to prove them wrong.

Stay safe. (and armed)

(Berks County)

In my home, I carry. I own it, I pay the taxes, utils, etc. It is MY castle.

I respect that when I am on someone elses propery, I have a choice to abide by their rules, or not be there.

You can make all the arguments you like. They can be so good that anybody but you Dad would agree. That doesn't matter. His home = his castle = his rules.

Conversely your home = your castle = your rules.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave49 View Post

I respect that when I am on someone elses propery, I have a choice to abide by their rules, or not be there.

You can make all the arguments you like. They can be so good that anybody but you Dad would agree. That doesn't matter. His home = his castle = his rules.

I hear you Dave. He will allow me to carry though, he just thinks it's crazy that I would want to, which bothers me even more honestly.

(Chester County)

You are an adult and as such are responsible for your own actions. However, if you live under his roof then it's his castle. If he objects to you carrying in his home then... Well... Follow the rules or go get your own "castle".

I STRONGLY urge you to seek out training both in firearms handling as well as retention. Please don't tell me... "Well, I've been shooting since I was this high." Seek out professional training. You'd be absolutely amazed how much you might be doing wrong.

Ok... my lecture is over. As for convincing your old man... Pick up any issue of American Rifleman and read the "Armed Citizen" section. Lots and lots of stories about homes being broken into at all hours of the day.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Philadelphia County)

Speaking of "Armed citizen", I found this video from Armed Citizen's Youtube channel. This elderly man can't get up and move around to defend himself, so he has his shot gun near by. And it paid off.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(York County)

Zyler... in my opinion, you both sound pretty reasonable, and I agree with both posters so far.

Listen, before you try convince your father of your intentions and abilities, You first must *demonstrate who you are*.

Sounds to me like he knows you as the teen you have been for the past decade or so.

Sounds like he is being reasonable, and trying to meet you halfway with carrying outside. Go with it, and show him you respect his judgment, while also demonstrating your maturity with your deadly weapon.

Just a "serving suggestion".
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Chester County)

Illogical... Parents are funny sometimes. At least for me when I lived with family it was all about bartering. Offer to do the one thing he hates around the house for a while or similar. If that fails, take things into your own hands and slip into his room to play news clips of home invasions while he sleeps..

I doubt he really thinks you are a threat, otherwise the problem you are having would not be a problem as you would have your own home at this point.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave49 View Post

Agreed. If the only reason you're having an issue with this is because 'he thinks you're crazy' then I wouldn't let that bother me at all.

My parents didn't like when I started carrying and told me I was stupid and putting myself at risk of being arrested. Not sure why exactly? Maybe when our parents grew up the world was a safer place? I can't say because I wasn't around back then. I have to do what's best for me. I've found the best way is just to agree to disagree. If your dad doesn't want you carrying in his house then that's a different issue. But if he just thinks you're crazy...well he'll get over it.

You don't have to justify to ANYONE why you carry. A lot of people are against firearms. They have as much right to hate guns as you do to carry one. That's America.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyler12 View Post
    I need your help PAFOA. I just got my gun that I plan to start carrying when I turn 21 (Late February). Me and my dad were talking about it and I said how I plan to carry it everyday, even in the house. I explained that you never know when bad things can happen to you, even in your own house. I also said it's easier to put it on at the start of the day and not have to worry about taking it off and putting it back on throughout the day.

He claimed this was illogical, even though when I asked why he had no reasons. At first he said I was crazy, then he hinted at us getting in an argument and me drawing on him. This really pissed me off, because, trust me, we get in heated arguments a lot and I've never made any moves or hints towards getting one of the guns I'd had since I was 18.

He said to come on here and see what you guys said, because he thinks you will all call me crazy, but I know most of you do this. So if you could, Poofa, explain why it's a good idea to carry all the time, even in the house?

I honestly think he's scared of guns, or scared of me with guns. Not sure why, but either way it's pretty irrational. I think we will have to agree to disagree.
    I agree with others who have pointed out 'His house - His rules' - If he allows you to carry in the house, even though he thinks it's crazy, then you have an opportunity to demonstrate that you always carry responsibly.

Be sure you demonstrate an adult ability to control yourself, avoiding those heated arguments whenever possible and I suspect he will come around to think of your carrying in less scary terms...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast