Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default where to buy m4/ ar15 parts locally

My husband's fantasy Christmas wish list item is part #1 (lower receiver) of the M4 he wants to build as a hobby. I'd love to surprise him and actually purchase this item without him being a part of it. I'd prefer to do so locally in case I purchase the wrong item. I talked to guys at Cabela's and they directed me to Schuylkill Haven, an hour away. Is there anything closer in Northampton County or Lehigh Valley which would carry this part?

Am I getting in over my head? I want to do this myself and see his face Christmas morning... he'd never expect me to do this! I hope to get help in selecting the proper piece, it will be for target shooting. Can both an M4 and an AR15 be built off the same receiver?

Any direction is so welcomed!

Default Re: where to buy m4/ ar15 parts locally

I will send you a PM on this, give me a minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Lehigh County)

An M4 is basically a specific type of AR15, so yes you can build both on the same receiver.

The biggest problem you will have is finding a brand that will make your husband happy. He may be desiring only the cream of the crop. Unfortunately, the lower receiver is the 'gun', so I'm not sure you would have much luck on trying to return it to the dealer.

If you want to take your chances though, just about any dealer can get you what you want. AF Boyer in Slatington are great to work with. I've heard good things about Donley's in Quakertown and they might actually stock them.

(Centre County)

Wow. Wish my wife was that cool. I'll probably get socks and some new ties for christmas.

A particular manufacture may or may not be important to him. See if he listed it on his wish list. If not, and if he's a member here, maybe he left a few hints in some of his posts. Or maybe he's got some buddies that would know.

lucky guy. I was talking with my wife about what we wanted for our next home and i said a room so i can hang all my (future) guns on the wall. she said to me, instead of have a bunch of cheapy guns i should just have a couple of good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by clg View Post
    My husband's fantasy Christmas wish list item is part #1 (lower receiver) of the M4 he wants to build as a hobby. I'd love to surprise him and actually purchase this item without him being a part of it. I'd prefer to do so locally in case I purchase the wrong item. I talked to guys at Cabela's and they directed me to Schuylkill Haven, an hour away. Is there anything closer in Northampton County or Lehigh Valley which would carry this part?

Am I getting in over my head? I want to do this myself and see his face Christmas morning... he'd never expect me to do this! I hope to get help in selecting the proper piece, it will be for target shooting. Can both an M4 and an AR15 be built off the same receiver?

Any direction is so welcomed!
    A Lower Reciever is the part of a AR that's required to be transfered by a FFL if you buy it from a Dealer / Gun shop. You can legally purchase this and gift it to him. But there are lots of different people making them and some of them outright suck. I wouldn't reccommend just walking into a shop and doing this without knowing what they are.

If you know someone (one of your husbands friends maybe) that has one or knows a place that they'd trust that might be your best route to take. Or get a gift certificate from the store and allow him to make sure it's the right one he wants.

BTW, it's really cool your doing this
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Northampton County)

Default you guys are great

Thank you for the feedback. I received a few suggestions on area shops and made a few calls. Some places know very little about it or didn't care to discuss it at all, they want a sale on what they got and if it's not there "move along". There were two area shops that talked me through it and stock different brands. I did receive insight from a handful of you privately as to brands that are common and have a strong history of being "good". That gives me comfort in making a quality purchase that he can build from.

A number of you suggested just giving him the money to let him do it on his own and I know it is important for him to have what he wants, yet I can't help but want to do this initial part on my own. All of the rest of the gun will be his doing, his personality and preference. But when he holds that receiver in his hand.... that was from me his wife, the reason it all got started. That makes me very happy and I hope he enjoys it as much as I enjoy the sneaking and discussion and research.... Personally, it means more to me to receive a gift someone bought because it makes them think of me, or they envision me wearing it, etc. than giving me money to get what I want. That's just my preference. Part of this gift is that he won't believe I went to this trouble to do something out of my comfort zone (like buying car parts... that floors him too). This is all the fun stuff that builds to the opening of the gift itself and seeing his reaction. I love it!!

Thanks again, I appreciate all the responses. Have a wonderful Christmas!
    Last edited by clg; December 9th, 2010 at 07:37 AM.

(Berks County)

This is going to be a lot of information to process, so bear with me if you would.

If you want to buy locally or need an FFL (Federal Firearms License) transfer agent, I highly recommend these folks.

Handgunner Custom Gun Shop
    17 West Weis Street
    Topton, PA 19562-1508
    (610) 682-6714

Handgunner sells ARs, and parts for ARs. They may have some DPMS or other stripped lowers kicking around the shop. You'd have to call to make sure.

Assuming you decide to buy on the internet, you'll need an FFL transfer agent, as stripped/completed lowers are considered to be firearms and the internet retailer can't ship them to you directly. Handgunner will perform the transfer for $20, which is a pretty good deal. You'd need to call them and have them send a copy of their Federal Firearms License sent by fax to the internet retailer.

Before you buy -

Firstly, you might want to ask your husband how much work he wants to do.

AR lower receivers can be purchased stripped (which means they have no parts installed, and your husband will need to buy a lower parts kit and a butt-stock assembly and install those), or complete (which means your husband only needs to purchase an AR upper to complete the gun).

Example #1 - Spikes Tactical stripped lower

Example #2: BCM (Bravo Company) complete lower assembly

Stripped lowers generally cost anywhere from $50 to $300, depending on construction method, configuration and whose brand name is cut into the side. A good stripped lower is usually either forged and then machined or machined from billet stock. Forged/machined is usually cheaper than machined from billet. Functionally, they're quite similar, though.

Complete lower assemblies tend to run upwards of $250. More money gets you better triggers, better buttstock assemblies, buffers, etc.

Secondly, you'll need to confirm with your husband that he wants to build a typical 5.56/.223 small caliber type lower.

I'm guessing your husband wants a stripped lower here, in 5.56 size. In that case I'd recommend you purchase a good brand in mil-spec (rather than "commercial") configuration. This will ensure he can use military specification parts in the buttstock assembly - always a good thing.

Good stripped lower brands -
    DPMS/Panther Arms
    Stag Arms
    Rock River Arms
    Aero Precision
    Spikes Tactical
    Smith & Wesson
    LaRue Tactical
    Noveske
    Armalite

I'd avoid Olympic Arms, as some of those were investment cast and are rather clunky from a fit standpoint.
    Last edited by kunsunoke; December 9th, 2010 at 07:49 AM.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(Northampton County)

Thank you.... very precise information. I am becoming much more comfortable. I grew up in Bowers so I know very well where Topton is. Thanks a bunch. All in all, everyone seems to keep suggesting DPMS, STAG, & Smith and Wesson repeatedly. I'm heading to the closest shop this afternoon to start there. Then there are three other options (Topton now being one). I think this could be a success thanks to everyone's honest help. I love this site!

Cindy

(Northampton County)

I did it, mission complete. I purchase the stripped lower receiver for an AR15. It is forged and it is military specs (things I've been told to be sure of).... it's a done deal and I'll trust all is well. I did want to mention that I filled out the background check and the shop asked me if it was going to be part of a pistol or rifle. I said rifle and they completed the paperwork as "other" in the listing. When they phoned in for the verification on the background check red flags were flying because it was a receiver for an AR15??? I was there for over an hour. Harrisburg apparently had more than one individual chatting with the gentleman from the shop about the intended use of the receiver and debating its need to be registered as a gun. The shops stand on it was that they were instructed previously to list it as "other" when not intended as a pistol. After long discussion and an elevated phone conversation it is an "other" and not registered as a gun.

Just thought I would mention that to anyone else going down the same road as me. I did have shops tell me via phone that it would need to be registered as a gun, but apparently not if the intended use is for a rifle....

Anyway, one present off the list and a new experience for me....thanks for all the help and have a Merry Christmas!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast