Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default DPMS low Pro Classic vs Panther A3 Lite 16 which one?

Ive narrowed my AR venture, and as I am no longer (I think) looking at building one, I thought Id start a new thread highlighting the two models of AR Ive narrowed down to. Both are 5.56/223 and flat top. Im interested in having a rifle for competition as well as HD.

Id like input from those who've fired/owned either model, and maybe give me a pro/con of the two? Also, what is considered a good price for either?
    Last edited by spacemanvic; December 6th, 2010 at 01:24 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: DPMS low Pro Classic vs Panther A3 Lite 16 which one?

This wont help - but the pencil-barrel CARs are nice!
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Based on the response Ive gotten to my thread, Im wondering if getting a pre-built AR is really worth getting, or should I go with a Frankenbuild?

Ive read up a little more on the DPMS offerings, the Low-Pro uses a softer aluminum grade 6066T6 on the uppers and 7075-T6 on the lowers, no dust door and no FA. The upper rail sits a lil higher on the Low-Pro. Comes with a full stock.

The A3 comes with 7075 on both upper and lower receivers, dust door and FA. Lots of opinions on the need for an FA, Im thinking if it doesnt cost much extra, better to have and not need than need an not have. Comes with carbine stock.

From reviews, the 2 magazines that come with the rifles arent the best built in the world. Dont know, havent actually looked at the magazines yet, but sounds like Ill be shopping for replacement extra anyway.

The store I frequent has a LowPro in stock, but Im thinking that I want the A3. According to DPMS website, both are same price.

(Chester County)

if youve never built one, id get one already done up, but thats just me afraid to experiment with toys that dont have drives and sockets.

all in all id go with the A3 if the upper reciever material is much better

but being your going with the DPMS, have you given thought to going with a 7.62/.308 system? not to be picky just wondering.
    Lifes hard, its even harder when your stupid - John Wayne.

(Allegheny County)

Is there a reason you are set on DPMS?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Mostly price and it is a brand my local shop carries.

I was at the fun store last night, and spoke to someone pretty knowledgeable on ARs. DPMS is an entry level rifle to be sure, but it is an accurate rifle. He runs higher end systems (as an FFL he can afford it LOL) and is on his 9th build. His stores prices are very hard to beat, and he offers a 90 day same as cash pay, which appeals to me (I can squirrel a lil at a time from the paycheck).

Im a tinkerer by inclination, and the prospect of building the AR really appeals to me. He'd found a DPMS complete lowers for about $235, and the A3 Flat Oracle upper for $380, which is great, but they come assembled. At home, I found that DPMS offers the Oracle in kit format without lower receiver. I need to ask him his price for the kit, then buy the Extreme Machining AR lowers (Pennsylvania made BTW) that he has in the store for $129 and put the rifle together. Then go with 2 Magpul 30rd magazines to start with.

From what Ive read regarding the AR platform, as my needs/skills increase, I can slap together a Frankengun with the components I want. Im hoping that the DPMS offering will provide me with the platform to do that over time. My next look-see purchase would be an after market piston kit, which according to the store should be coming down in price within the coming year.

I looked at 308 and would go with that, except the offerings at 308 are a bit more than I can spend. Also, my FIL is set up to reload either 223 or 308, so getting a 556/223 that I can afford and do reloads for makes this choice something I can swing.
    Last edited by spacemanvic; December 10th, 2010 at 01:04 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Is there a reason you are set on DPMS?

(Northampton County)

I've read DPMS bolts crack sometimes.

I bought a FA DPMS BCG for a beater upper. I use it for Beta dumps among other things. Thousands and thousands of rounds. I either got lucky or they make their bolts differently for sale with FA carriers (doubt it). Or, maybe it's all BS to begin with.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I've read DPMS bolts crack sometimes.
    All bolts will fail, Colt, BCM, Knights Armament, etc... It is only a matter of when. If a company is not using the right material or the right testing, there is no telling what that time frame will be. Those who know an assload more than I do will say that a bolt life is X and I think you will find that their numbers are spot on. With say a DPMS, Bushmaster, or RRA bolt, there is far less predictability (for many reasons).
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    You can lead a horse to the brothel, but . . .
    Unless the madame's flower is givin' a discount, you go for the $2 one...

"Mostly price and it is a brand my local shop carries. "

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast