Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So my sister in law wants me to help her buy a gun....

for my brother as "christmas present".

Heres the thing though, they are in the midst of going through a divorce (he cheated multiple times, went to washy-washies, etc), and are legally separated. He has moved out, but comes home for a few days at a time when his kids have birthdays or there are holidays.

According to him, he wanted to leave her 15 years ago, but didnt because of the kids and for the fact that he was afraid she would hurt herself.

Ive had some conversations with her recently, and she is in a highly emotional, mentally traumaztized state, and is on some type of medicine (xanax and some anti-depressants). For all I know she could not have any intentions other than to have this be a memento for someone who is walking out on her life, but given everything that she is going through I dont think its a wise purchase

Now, as a proud gun owner (multiple dozens )even though I am usually all for people buying guns, I am certainly NOT going to help someone I suspect is not mentally stable to buy a gun, especially as a "christmas present" for someone who cheated on her (click-clack, BANG, Merry Christmas you cheating M-f'er).

Question is, do I tell my brother, or mention it to her friends or her family what she asked me to do?

(Washington County)

Default Re: So my sister in law wants me to help her buy a gun....

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    Question is, do I tell my brother, or mention it to her friends or her family what she asked me to do?
    YES! You need to tell your brother. If you turn her down maybe she turns to somebody else for help and obtains one. Maybe she just goes and buys it herself. It seems that this is a very dangerous situation and it needs to be dealt with. It's your brother's wife, tell im and let him decide how to proceed.

(Centre County)

Absolutely tell your brother and you probably need to mention it to her immediate family. If your brothers kids are old enough, they need to know also so they can watch their mom, especially if she is depressed, on meds, etc. This is one case that someone needs to be informed.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

If I were you, I'd talk to my brother only at first. Expressing your concerns to your SIL's parents, for instance, could cause a lot of problems for her. Could end with her as a prohibited person, and she may be just fine.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    for my brother as "christmas present".

Heres the thing though, they are in the midst of going through a divorce (he cheated multiple times, went to washy-washies, etc), and are legally separated. He has moved out, but comes home for a few days at a time when his kids have birthdays or there are holidays.

According to him, he wanted to leave her 15 years ago, but didnt because of the kids and for the fact that he was afraid she would hurt herself.

Ive had some conversations with her recently, and she is in a highly emotional, mentally traumaztized state, and is on some type of medicine (xanax and some anti-depressants). For all I know she could not have any intentions other than to have this be a memento for someone who is walking out on her life, but given everything that she is going through I dont think its a wise purchase

Now, as a proud gun owner (multiple dozens )even though I am usually all for people buying guns, I am certainly NOT going to help someone I suspect is not mentally stable to buy a gun, especially as a "christmas present" for someone who cheated on her (click-clack, BANG, Merry Christmas you cheating M-f'er).

I can't think of one good reason not to tell him. A separated couple in the midst of a divorce do not buy each other gifts... and they certainly don't buy each other guns as gifts... and a mentally unstable, most likely angry at her cheating soon-to-be ex-husband, depressed, emotional woman should not be buying her estranged husband a gun as a gift. You, as close kin, have a duty to tell your brother. I can't believe this is something that you would even seek advice on.

Second: What in the hell are washy washies?

I would even go so far as ask the brother what the name of her mental health professional is and give them a courtesy call to let them know there is suspect behavior afoot. Who cares about being a prohibited person if there is a reasonable justification for concern that.... ummm maybe they SHOULD be prohibited? A tragedy may be averted here with a little intervention
    Last edited by bigandy1966; December 7th, 2010 at 10:26 PM.

(Butler County)

You said he comes home for a few days at a time. Does she want him back? Is she still in love with him. It might be legit and she just wants to get him something special. Why would she come to you other then to find out what type of gun your brother would like? She can buy a gun without you. I would talk to your brother and see if he thinks it's a problem. If so you guys need to talk to family.

(Montgomery County)

The original posting could have been made without the airing of the dirty laundry. Who cares who fucked whom and who paid hookers for sex, it is entirely irrelevant to your question. In the future, it is best to not say something that has no value instead of sharing it with the world. People get divorced every day, the reasons do not matter.

On to your question, you already know the answer. This is not a question about firearms, it is about management of life. What would you want someone else to do if you were in the shoes of the supposed gift receiver?
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    The original posting could have been made without the airing of the dirty laundry. Who cares who fucked whom and who paid hookers for sex, it is entirely irrelevant to your question. In the future, it is best to not say something that has no value instead of sharing it with the world. People get divorced every day, the reasons do not matter.

On to your question, you already know the answer. This is not a question about firearms, it is about management of life. What would you want someone else to do if you were in the shoes of the supposed gift receiver?
    I think it does have some relevance in this case. A wife is much more likely to be insanely angry at a cheating husband she is divorcing as opposed to a couple who can't get along and are filing a no-fault divorce together. Very big difference in attitudes and emotions between the two situations.

Secondly, who the hell cares? Do you know glocke12 from eastern PA or his family (who has no avatar, no profile picture, no contact info, and no friends listed on this forum)? Does anyone else for that matter? Did he really leave a lot of identifying clues that air his family's dirty laundry? Quit nitpicking.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Who cares about being a prohibited person if there is a reasonable justification for concern that.... ummm maybe they SHOULD be prohibited? A tragedy may be averted here with a little intervention
    I'm curious as to how you reconcile your views on this matter, with your views on the plight of Brian Aitken. After all, a tragedy may have been averted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast