Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default How often do you clean your AR?

I am 2,500 rounds or so since my last cleaning although I have lubed it from time to time...

Check this link out...

http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/v/vsp...hy14_oct10.pdf
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How often do you clean your AR?

I don't. That's why it started to choke on me with Wolf.

Guesstimate of 1,500 - 2,000 rds. The only cleaning was a few swipes of the barrel and a little lube.

At one time, I was fanatical about cleaning firearms, then the more I shot, the less "enthusiastic" I became about tearing down several firearms for cleaning at one time. Then I heard all the "I've got "x" thousand rounds without cleaning" stories, so I figured, what the heck, let's see what happens.
    A rifle that jams happened.

I guess that's not a big deal if it's only being used on the range, or for "torture tests", but damn, that sucks when it finally doesn't go bang.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Jefferson County)

Clean my AR? pffftt!! Thats funny..

I stopped cleaning my guns any further than wiping it down with oil and maybe blowing the crap out of the barrel.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I don't. That's why it started to choke on me with Wolf.
    It may not have helped your cause, but I would argue if the gun cant shoot Wolf in any case, there is a gun issue, not a cleaning issue.

At one time, I was fanatical about cleaning firearms, then the more I shot, the less "enthusiastic" I became about tearing down several firearms for cleaning at one time. Then I heard all the "I've got "x" thousand rounds without cleaning" stories, so I figured, what the heck, let's see what happens.
    A rifle that jams happened.
    Depends, the jist of the article was that the gun performed well beyond the suggested service intervals and was still going strong. Parts that fail happen, but to say a gun that jams happens is accepting something you shouldnt.

I guess that's not a big deal if it's only being used on the range, or for "torture tests", but damn, that sucks when it finally doesn't go bang.
    Yeah, I probably wont go too much further with mine simply because it is my HD gun, but it sure is nice to know that it will work no matter what. That is generally the reason many folks do this, but there are those who feel it is cool as well.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Monroe County)

Both of mine have LWRC uppers, so I just wipe it down and clean the barrel out here and there and they both work great.

(Allegheny County)

Honestly, I'm not too concerned with what "my" issue is. I'm not a "tactical operator", nor can I ever imagine a scenario where I will need to fire thousands of rounds without cleaning, so as long as I keep it somewhat "maintained", I don't foresee any need to sweat it, and certainly no need to buy another rifle.

('cuz I already have an AK! )

Cool article though.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

I run a boresnake down the barrel, wipe down the BCG a bit and relube with EWL after shooting. That's about it
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Allegheny County)

Honestly, I'm not too concerned with what "my" issue is. I'm not a "tactical operator", nor can I ever imagine a scenario where I will need to fire thousands of rounds without cleaning, so as long as I keep it somewhat "maintained", I don't foresee any need to sweat it, and certainly no need to buy another rifle.

('cuz I already have an AK! )

Cool article though.
    You are surely not creative enough... I can think of plenty of different scenarios where I need to fire 7,500 rounds... All of them end up at a mall for some reason...?

I guess , I am a loser... I clean my ar once a month before I shoot the 3 gun in Manheim. It's the army in me and the fact I work from home. So I can sit at my desk and give it some good loving and get paid

I like my rifles clean and my women dirty
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Allegheny County)

I like to clean my AR's at about every 1k rnds or so, no use in subjecting your guns to uneccessary ware and tear to prove a point.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast