Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Out of state gun purchase

Sorry if this has been asked over and over again, but I couldn't find the right answer anywhere.
    First off I am a Md resident, although originally from Pa. What are the laws regarding shotgun purchases in Pa from an out of stater? I was hoping to go to cabelas next week and pick up a new shotgun.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Default Re: Out of state gun purchase

I would call them

(Centre County)

A person can buy a long arm (rifle or shotgun) from any FFL in any state (and Cabelas has a FFL), AS LONG AS the sale meets the laws of where you are buying it AND your state of residence. Some states have bans on large cap magazines, this would mean that if you were a resaident of that state you could not go to another state and buy a gun that has the banned (in your state) magazine.

From the BATFE:

From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
    A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

You will still have to undergo the PA backgound check, but Cabelas will know how to do that with an out of state buyer.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by brdy View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked over and over again, but I couldn't find the right answer anywhere.
    First off I am a Md resident, although originally from Pa. What are the laws regarding shotgun purchases in Pa from an out of stater? I was hoping to go to cabelas next week and pick up a new shotgun.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Thank you for supporting a "FREE STATE" commercially and refusing to support an anti Freedom STATE like Maryland.

Now, whats the chance of you becoming a patriot and moving to a FREE STATE?

CL

North Carolina, formerly from PA, North Carolina

Xring is exactly right. You can buy a longgun in PA, so long as it's legal in MD. You can't buy a handgun out of state. I used to live in MD, and guns are very expensive in most gun stores there. You will certainly be able to find a better deal in PA.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by farmplinker View Post
    You can't buy a handgun out of state.
    Sure you can. You just have to take delivery of it at an FFL in your state.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Sure you can. You just have to take delivery of it at an FFL in your state.
    Of course, you're right. I've done so myself, having handguns shipped in from out of state to my local gun store. But that's not really buying it out of state, is it? Certainly not in the context of the original post. But having a gun shipped to a local FFL gun store is always an option.

Thanks for the info guys

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Thank you for supporting a "FREE STATE" commercially and refusing to support an anti Freedom STATE like Maryland.

Now, whats the chance of you becoming a patriot and moving to a FREE STATE?

CL
    Now as much as I don't like the communist laws and politics in the communist republic of Md, I gotta say I do love the bay. Plus the work is more plentiful

Quote Originally Posted by brdy View Post
    Thanks for the info guys

Now as much as I don't like the communist laws and politics in the communist republic of Md, I gotta say I do love the bay. Plus the work is more plentiful
    Just do your part to try and change the politics of the state, including gun rights.

Have you been to http://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php ?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by njsheriff View Post
    i am a 14 year veteran in the Sheriffs Office in New Jersey, i recently tried to buy 2 shotguns for my sons for christmas at a wal-mart. I had no problem...UNTIL..they did the back ground check. I was told they had to investigate it furthur and it would take 1 to 15 days...WHAT!?! are you frigging kidding me? they only reason i was getting them in PA was due to the fact i needed a Jr model with a black stock and could not find one in NJ. I also have a vacation home in PA for hunting and skiing with my kids. I was never so embarrassed. I presented my firearms purchaser card, my DL and my Department ID...plenty qualified i would think. Here is a sworn law enforcement officer and i can't buy a shot gun...but if your 18 and have a PA DL you can walk right in and take one home as long as you pass the background...which i am told takes 3 mins. The store employee told me a Trooper from NJ also had the same problem. What gives? are we being harrassed due to the fact we are from New Jersey, where i might add it takes 4 months to get a firearms card to purchase guns. I feel my first amendmend rights are being violated. I had some property stolen from our vacation home in the poconos and had to find the thiefs and recover my property myself due to the fact the state police could not be bothered....i guess they couldn't be bothered with my background check either.
    theres no difference in the check you just went thru, and the check *I* go thru, at the same gunshop or walmart, who cares if yer a cop or not?

Everyone who buys a firearm from a FFL must pass PICS, the Pennsylvania Instant Check System, and theres no difference if you are cop, or what, you pass PICS, or no go. PA uses their own system on top of the National Instant Check System.

since PICS could not verify your status for some reason, you got delayed, it happens.

and your 1st Amendment rights are for freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom to peaceably assemble, ....

leave it to a NJ cop to not know what SECOND AMENDMENT rights are... ROFL
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast