Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DAO: Thoughts?

(Philadelphia County)

Default DAO: Thoughts?

Not sure if I like DaSa,

Handled a G19 pretty well. Sig offers some DAOs.

Thoughts on DAO? I need some education.
    1988 Sig P226, 1988 Porsche 911, Coincidence?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: DAO: Thoughts?

Not sure what you mean by education, do you need an explaination of DAO?

Anyway, I don't mind DAO for certain tasks. My carry piece is a Ruger LCP whose DAO trigger is about 11 pounds. I like it because if I ever need to pull it, that DAO will prevent me from accidentally firing the gun. It also helps protect against accidental discharges since it does usually ride in my pocket and even though it is in a holster there's always a chance of the trigger being exposed someway somehow.

For target shooting, striker fired DAO's (though aren't true DAO's because you usually cannot pull the trigger a second time on an unfired cartridge) have lighter trigger pulls and are fine for the task. True DAO's are way too hard to shoot accurately at target distance, and SA really shows it's worth in this role.

I would say the best of both worlds is a gun that can be carried in SA cocked and locked or carried in DA/SA. For the safety sallys of the world or lawyers a DA/SA with a safety is even better i.e. H&K USP.

(Allegheny County)

I prefer my carry guns to be DAO or DA/SA (currently have a Kel-tec P11 and Ruger LCP for carry). No messing around with safeties in a stressful situation, pull the trigger and it goes bang. The heavy/long trigger pull, a good holster to cover the trigger, and what's between my ears is the safety.

(Indiana County)

As stated by previous posters, the striker fired DAO pistol is tough to beat for concealed carry safety and shoot-ability. I have A Taurus TCP for a pocket gun plus two Kahrs and all are easy to shoot well with the long, smooth 11-14 lb DAO stroke. The SA/DA pistols are tough to shoot as consistently unless you carry "cocked and locked" to avoid the horrendous first shot DA trigger pull of 20 plus pounds and if you are going to do the C&L carry-why not choose a single action auto in the first place.
    Last edited by 300plus; December 4th, 2010 at 09:35 PM.

(Monroe County)

Best DAO trigger I have ever used is an H&K with the L.E.M. trigger configuration.

I have no problem shooting any DAO accurately at target distance.

I have a DAO 96 Beretta Centurion, its a good safe, reliable and smooth gun.
    Excellent DA trigger. I like it, its a very safe gun.

I would stay away from Sig's DAO or they call it DAK(Double Action Kellerman) I think it's a very long heavy pull and you get to do it every time Glocks and XD's and those type are good DAO Kahr has a real nice DAO trigger, it's long like a j-frame but about as heavy as a Glock and butter smooth.
    I have no experience with the HK LEM but most people like them.

The striker-fired Walther P99 AS offers a second strike capability, a short trigger takeup arrangement that mimics traditional SA, and a decocker button on the left top of the slide at the rear. The pistol can also be recocked by racking the slide backwards about 1/8" or so.

Youtube overview, not that I'm vouching for the content:

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    The striker-fired Walther P99 AS offers a second strike capability, a short trigger takeup arrangement that mimics traditional SA, and a decocker button on the left top of the slide at the rear. The pistol can also be recocked by racking the slide backwards about 1/8" or so.

Youtube overview, not that I'm vouching for the content:

One of the greatest overlooked polymer pistols IMHO. I like 'em. I like 'em a lot.

ETA: I didn't really address the OP at all. I don't love DAO. There are exceptions to every rule though. I carry Glocks exclusively at the moment, but I don't completely consider them traditional DA. I like DA revolvers, preferably a S&W with a bit of an action job. I do like the Kahr DA trigger for what they are. Sometimes it's a neccesary evil, like on pocket pistols, then I just deal with it. A trigger stop is a nice trick for staging a DA trigger, I've done that for a few Kel Tecs I've owned.
    Last edited by rwb1500; December 3rd, 2010 at 08:40 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Butler County)

I like the HK LEM but don't have any HKs at the moment. I have a pair of Sig 229s with the DAK triggers in them and shoot them just fine. One of them has gone through 2 600 / 800 round classes with me without a hitch or an issue.

I have a 239 on the way and once I get it I'll convert that to DAK as well. For me it works well on my carry guns. It takes a bit but you get used to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast