Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Rostraver sportsman

My wife and i curios about joining rostraver Sportsman or possibly another club in the area. We live in Donora and i work in Washington. We shoot pistol rifle shotgun and archery. I know rostraver has all that. If there are any other clubs in our that would accommodate our shooting passion i am interested to hear about them. I am looking for any information to clubs location, cost, membership requirement and process, point of contact. We are in need of a club thats focus is on shooting and hunting. We were members of a club a couple years ago and we not very happy, because the concentration of the club was the bar and not shooting or anything else. Thank You in advance
    Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race! Chesty Puller

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Rostraver sportsman

I've always thought about joining there as I grew up in Belle Vernon (The "wrong side of the Wal-Mart") and used to shoot 3D there a few years ago.

It seems like a nice set-up, however when I was there, it always seemed like a bunch of old-timers (nothing wrong with that)...

I live in Brentwood now, although looking at moving back to "the Valley" soon, I'm still considering joining Pitcarin-Monroeville Sportsmans Club. They have a great facility (try a group shoot sometime). I don't know about the hunting aspect of the club (I belong to Eldora R&GC for that), and also hunt a family members small 17 acre plot that is adjacent to other "woods" area in Rostraver.

It may be a small drive, but I would seriously consider checking out Pitcarin-Monroeville as even if I move, I believe that's where I will join this January.

(Westmoreland County)

I have considered pitcarin-monroeville in the past, the biggest problem i have with it is location. it's a direction that i dont travel very often. we do most things toward Washington. we have family over in west newton so we travel that way very often, just not much beyond
    Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race! Chesty Puller

I've shot Clairton GC a few times for USPSA matches, and they seemed pretty friendly. I'm not sure what all they offer or their cost of membership, but I have definitely considered joining there.

I have hear that Rostraver GC has some strange noise and shooting restrictions. I am not entirely sure what they are, and don't want to speak out of turn, but a few friends have told me it isn't worth the hassle to join.

(Washington County)

I’m a member of Rostraver Sportsman Club. I joined last year. Outstanding pistol and trap ranges. The rifle range is like most others. They shoot trap on Thursdays from 10 am till last shooter, and Saturdays from noon till last shooter. Cost for a round of trap is $3. They have a heated and air conditoned trap club house. ( seperate from the main club house) Very friendly group. The PUBLIC is welcome to shoot trap on those days. They have 99 acres of land and hunting is permitted. The Pa Game Commission stocks pheasants there every year and they have a youth shoot and a youth pheasant hunt every year. They conduct hunter safety courses every year. The pistol ranges are covered and well set up. They don’t have alcohol at the club. They are committed to shooting and hunting, not drinking. There are some shooting restrictions, days and hours, but they are posted. Great family place to shoot.