Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 922 question

(Washington County)

Default 922 question

Hopefully this is the right section for this. I have a question about 922r compliance (specifically for an AKM.)

It is my understanding that there are twenty compliace parts, and that in order to be compliant, no more than ten of those parts can be foreign made. I further understand that only 16 of the compliance parts are found on an AK, so therefore (I think) at least six of the parts must be american made.

Here is my question I do not know for sure which parts of my rifle are foreign and which are american, but I believe that both my front and rear trunion are foreign. So does that count as one foreign part, or does each trunion count as one? The same applies to my hand gaurds. I believe both the upper (over the gas tube) and lower hand guard are foreign. How many parts is that? one or two?

Here is the compliance parts list, as it applies to the AK (AFAIK):
    (1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
    (2) Barrel
    (3) N/A
    (4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
    (5) Muzzle attachments
    (6) Bolts
    (7) Bolt carriers
    (8) N/A
    (9) Gas pistons
    (10) N/A
    (11) Triggers
    (12) Hammers
    (13)N/A
    (14) Disconnectors
    (15) Buttstocks
    (16) Pistol grips
    (17) Forearms, handguards
    (18) Magazine bodies
    (19) Followers
    (20) Floorplates

I would like to be able to use foreign mags in my rifle, which automatically gives me three of the ten allowed foreign parts, so if each trunion and hand gaurd count as one that's four more right there... brings me to seven. Bolt carrier and bolt bring me to nine. Buttstock and gas piston put me over the top. If that is the case I guess I have to re-think my choice of foreign mags.

(York County)

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: 922 question

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I further understand that only 16 of the compliance parts are found on an AK, so therefore (I think) at least six of the parts must be american made.
    Depends on the config of that particular AK. A std AKM typically (but not always) has 16 countable parts.
    One example: A plain unthreaded muzzle or perm-attached muzzle device would be only 15 countable parts.

Here is my question I do not know for sure which parts of my rifle are foreign and which are american, but I believe that both my front and rear trunion are foreign. So does that count as one foreign part, or does each trunion count as one?
    Just the front counts. (barrel mounting trunnion)

...The same applies to my hand gaurds. I believe both the upper (over the gas tube) and lower hand guard are foreign. How many parts is that? one or two?
    One countable part. There are both one and two piece HG's but they are both only one countable part for 922 compliance. If your HG are two piece, both pieces must be US to count as the one countable part.

What make and model is your AK?
    HTS, PG, gas piston and muzzle device will make *most* std config AKM rifles compliant without regard to magazine parts.

Here is an easy computer to use:
    http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Washington County)

Thanks for the speedy responses.

It is a Century built yugo m70b1 (wood stock.)

I believe the foreign parts are:
    bolt
    bolt carrier
    gas piston
    hand guard
    trunion
    muzzle brake
    buttstock

Which would leave me just enough wiggle room for yugo mags.

US made parts ( I think) are:
    barrel
    reciever
    trigger
    disconnector
    hammer
    pistol grip

(Luzerne County)

US made parts ( I think) are:
    barrel
    reciever
    trigger
    disconnector
    hammer
    pistol grip
    The century M70's I have seen recently are as you listed. Older ones had foreign bbls but US slant muzzle brake.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie