Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Looking for a 1911, Taurus PT1911 or SA Range Officer (or GI)

This forum is incredibly informative and I've learned a lot just browsing through topics. I asked a while back about polymer pistols in 9mm, but after doing more research I'm really fixated on getting a 1911. My budget isn't too high, however, so I'm looking toward the lower end of the spectrum here. I've read really good things about the PT1911 and the Range Officer, as well as the GI but I believe those cost a little more. Any advice? Also, any suggestions on where to look? I live in Blair county and am not real familiar with the gun shops in the area. Thanks.

(York County)

Default Re: Looking for a 1911, Taurus PT1911 or SA Range Officer (or GI)

Stick with Springfield Armory. The GI is going to be the cheapest 1911 from them. The Range Officer will have more features and in turn, be a little more accurate. I'd get the Range Officer.

(Butler County)

This guy has a couple of real nice 1911s for sale....

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/11...er-taurus.html
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Delaware County)

I've heard good things also about the PT1911s. I handled one in a local shop and was very impressed with the fit, finish and a great trigger.
    I would buy a milspec rather than a GI. Lowered ejection port and nicer sights.
    The Range Officer is a new model from SA. It comes with 2 mags, holster and mag pouch. Nice looking gun. I've seen a couple post on the web here and there about them. So far it sounds positive.

I was real close to buying the PT1911 untill I spotted the SA Range Officer for sale on an auction site. It just screamed, BUY ME! Don't have it yet, so I can't give you any insight as to how it is. I have high hopes!
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Westmoreland County)

Friends don't let freinds buy Taurus's

What is your price range? What are you going to use the 1911 for?
    Last edited by hzox221; December 1st, 2010 at 08:29 PM.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Delaware County)

Buy a GI IF you don't mind being hit with flying brass. It has a habit of ejecting straight back at your face, of course "adjusting" the ejector will fix that issue. As mentioned, find something with a lowered/flared port. You'll like it much better.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Blair County)

Well the main use would be at the range and home defense (doubt I'd carry), but mostly I'd just use it at the range. I'm heavily leaning toward the Range Officer. My budget I'd say is $700, and my wife said she'd buy whatever magazines or other accessories I wanted for Christmas. How much more would I need for a Mil-Spec? And where should I go around looking to buy?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by medsteele View Post
    Well the main use would be at the range and home defense (doubt I'd carry), but mostly I'd just use it at the range. I'm heavily leaning toward the Range Officer. My budget I'd say is $700, and my wife said she'd buy whatever magazines or other accessories I wanted for Christmas. How much more would I need for a Mil-Spec? And where should I go around looking to buy?
    OK, don't buy a mil-spec.

Look at the SA Range Officer. You can usually find a SA Loaded model for that price too. Other options at that price range: STI Spartan, or a Kimber Custom. I would stay away from Taurus's - their customer service is a joke.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Monroe County)

Both Companies sell good guns, the springfield loaded is comparable to the Taurus Pt 1911 the others mentioned fall short of the Taurus, The Taurus being far superior in every way. Sure Springfield has good customer service and you will need it , with the Taurus you may never need thier customer service. They are good to go right out of the box.

The Taurus is the better gun mentioned, but then again you saw for yourself when you handled it in the Gunshop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    Friends don't let freinds buy Taurus's

+1....trillion

stay away from those paperweights. there is a reason that they are frowned upon by most (i did say "most" so please keep it under control flamers) of the shooting community.

There is also a reason that you will not find a SINGLE law enforcement agency issuing taurus guns to its officers.

Anyway, of the options mentioned, I would definitely go for the springfield. They are hard to find used (especially the upper end ones) and for good reason. No one ever wants to get rid of them. I have put my Springfield LW Champion up for sale about 3 times and couldn't bring myself to actually let it go.

To each his own. If you bought a Taurus 1911 and like it, good for you. But you have to ask yourself, would you really want to be responsible for another human being going down that road Dont amuse yourself by taking advantage of the OP's quest for information and persuading him to repeat your mistakes.

Seriously though, the decision can only be made by you sir. Good luck and post pics when you finally bring whichever one *cough*SPRINGFIELD*cough home
    Last edited by jachrist; December 2nd, 2010 at 01:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast