Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Plymouth Township charging $20 for "Gun Permit" checks

I thought all of the UFA scholars would like to hear about this. I just noticed that residents of Plymouth Township (Montgomery County) are required to pay $20 for their local police check card as part of the LTCF application process. So not only do Plymouth applicants have to DO the Sheriff's job of a background check, they have to PAY for the privilege of doing the Sheriff's job.

Default Re: Plymouth Township charging $20 for "Gun Permit" checks

Quote Originally Posted by Jup06 View Post
    I thought all of the UFA scholars would like to hear about this. I just noticed that residents of Plymouth Township (Montgomery County) are required to pay $20 for their local police check card as part of the LTCF application process. So not only do Plymouth applicants have to DO the Sheriff's job of a background check, they have to PAY for the privilege of doing the Sheriff's job.
    They should charge Montgomery County Sheriffs and get paid for doing their work. You should not pay anything. I know everyone's answer, it is only $20 so what am I to do so I will just pay. Well if the NRA was doing their job they would interceed immediately. I would contact the Office of Attorney General and demand action.

Are you sure they are charging $20 just for the police card thing (in addition to the LTCF fee)? It certainly is unclear on their website, which reads:

Concealed Weapons Permit

Concealed Weapons Permit - $20.00

Contact the sheriff's office, located on the first floor of the Montgomery County Courthouse, Swede and Airy Streets, Norristown, PA, to apply for a "concealed weapons permit". In the information you receive from the Sheriff's office, you will find a card for a local police check.

Fill out the top of the local police check and drop it off at the Plymouth Township Police Department, Monday through Friday, 8:30am-4:00pm. Generally, records checks will be completed and ready for release by 1:00pm the following day.

NOTE: You must appear in person to pick-up a records check. This will not be given to anyone other than the person for whom the check was completed.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Are you sure they are charging $20 just for the police card thing (in addition to the LTCF fee)? It certainly is unclear on their website, which reads:
    The $20 fee is posted on their sign at the police records window in the municipal building. The township board approved fee schedule, also showing the $20 gun permit fee is posted there as well.

The LTCF fee you pay the MontCo. Sheriff is either $25 or $46 depending on whether you want a paper or plastic card.

Quote Originally Posted by Jup06 View Post
    The $20 fee is posted on their sign at the police records window in the municipal building. The township board approved fee schedule, also showing the $20 gun permit fee is posted there as well.

The LTCF fee you pay the MontCo. Sheriff is either $25 or $46 depending on whether you want a paper or plastic card.
    WOW... OK. That is a bunch of CRAP

(Montgomery County)

can anyone post a section of PA law or the UFA that prevents local municipalities from charging a fee for this service?

not the bit that prevents the LTCF issuing authority from charging more than a certain fee, but SPECIFICALLY something that prohibits a local police dept from charging a fee.

I havent been able to find anything.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    can anyone post a section of PA law or the UFA that prevents local municipalities from charging a fee for this service?

not the bit that prevents the LTCF issuing authority from charging more than a certain fee, but SPECIFICALLY something that prohibits a local police dept from charging a fee.

I havent been able to find anything.
    Yeah, I'm not able to think of any actual legal issue with this *for the twp PD*.

The SD may or may not be violating 6109 by requiring the additional check procedure, but that has no bearing on the twp charging for the service best I can tell.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Montgomery County)

exactly, its annoying of course, but I dont see it as being illegal.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Yeah, I'm not able to think of any actual legal issue with this *for the twp PD*.

The SD may or may not be violating 6109 by requiring the additional check procedure, but that has no bearing on the twp charging for the service best I can tell.
    Why "may not"?

According to the township web site: Fill out the top of the local police check and drop it off at the Plymouth Township Police Department. I don't remember anything on the PSP-approved application about a local police check, so they are violating 6109(c). And 6109(d) instructs the sheriff to do the investigation, not to delegate it to the local PD.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
    Why "may not"?
    Because while I certainly don't agree with the logic, I can see the court siding with the Sheriff that it's a reasonable part of his or her investigation. Just like interviews....the law doesn't specify that a Sheriff can/should conduct a personal interview, but some Sheriff's do.

I'm not aware of any case law challenging these extra 'police checks' or interviews that some Sheriffs have included as part of their process.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast