Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: M-16 blowing up

(Mercer County)

Default M-16 blowing up

This is a clip of a M-16 blowing up that I mentioned in another thread. In the description I think they refer to it as a Vietnam era M-16. I have watched this quite a few times and I doubt it is Vietnam era. The forestock does not look correct and I'm not sure if the carry handle was detachable with that era rifle. Lastly, who would shoot it? It would be a nice collector rifle that I would not want to take to the range. Maybe that's just me. Looking at the video closely many times and listening to the comments, I believe that they are shooting reloads and the guy that reloaded the ammo, did not have a clue. I doubt he had a bullet lodged in the barrel but I think the guy didn't trim his brass correctly if at all. The stupid thing here in my opinion is the bunch of misfires before the rifle blows up. I would have stopped after the second misfire and tried to figure it out. These guys just plowed ahead. This guy is luckly to still have fingers or worse. This is the major reason I don't shoot anyones reloads other than my own. I've seen to many guns blow up from careless reloads and/or hot loads.

Here is the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1ly...7F2D1&index=13
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

(Chester County)

Default Re: M-16 blowing up

He does not say vietnam era in the description. Surely he names it m-16 becuase of the 20" barrell as most refer to there short barrel ar's as m4's. But yeah, to ad to your other thread. Gunpowder can be destructive and blow up any gun. Not much of a point to be proven as everyone knows this. 16" guns on a battleship have blow up before.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qalJ9koob2Q
    Last edited by shortthrow50; December 1st, 2010 at 02:38 PM.

(Monroe County)

OK
    It fails to feed, the bolt won't go in to battery,
    SO he clears it with trouble, changes mag.

This happens 2 more times but not once does he check the chamber.
    Boom!

*shakes head*
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Luzerne County)

Has been posted MANY times here over the last few years.

The gun failed to go into battery, until repeated smashing on the fwd assist (aka: jam or boom assist)

Can you say barrel obstruction? Either squib or case separation.

If the gun will not chamber, forcing the round can, and often will, result in bigger problems including possibly kabooming as happened here.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lancaster County)

I'm rather new to the AR platform, but before I bought mine I watched quite a few videos about them from different people, and the one thing that stuck with me, and I don't remember who said it was "The forward assist is not your friend".

I guess that combined with user headspace pretty much proves that point.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Mercer County)

I'm still thinking untrimmed brass here. I may be wrong but look at the video. He ejects shells that do not seat quite a few times. They chamber but don't seat enough to let the hammer drop. This tells me that it's not a casing left in the chamber. It could be a bullet lodged but I doubt it. It fired fine before this mishap. No little squib pop or anything that would leave me to believe a plugged barrel. I'm still thinking badly trimmed brass.

(Bucks County)

Squib.

.................................................. .........................10

Quote Originally Posted by Finster View Post
    I'm still thinking untrimmed brass here. I may be wrong but look at the video. He ejects shells that do not seat quite a few times. They chamber but don't seat enough to let the hammer drop. This tells me that it's not a casing left in the chamber. It could be a bullet lodged but I doubt it. It fired fine before this mishap. No little squib pop or anything that would leave me to believe a plugged barrel. I'm still thinking badly trimmed brass.
    This has been posted up here lots of times before with lots more information. It's VERY obvious that this isn't a Vietnam era rifle. The fact that it's flat top should be your first clue without even seeing the hand guard. Your assessment is incorrect, and others in other threads have come forward with more information to verify that. It was a barrel obstruction/squib.

At 0:25 seconds you hear "click", and he ejects the piece of brass. It's hard to tell, especially from the quality of the video, but it looks like it's an empty piece of brass to me. If he was paying attention, he would have noticed that he had a live round laying in the floor with a bunch of empties IF it wasn't a squib. IF he didn't see a live round in the pile, then he would have known that it was a barrel obstruction. The "click" of only a primer going off, can be enough to unseat a bullet and make it start to engage the rifling, and might only sound like a "click". Have you ever heard a suppressed .22, on a bolt action it pretty much just sounds like a "click". That's pretty much exactly how a primer only going off sounds when it's in an enclosed space (cartridge). Later on we hear some more clicks because the rifle isn't going fully into battery, and it's not firing, which is the way it was designed. At 0:35 seconds it's obvious that the charging handle doesn't even go all the way forward, it's almost even with his cheek, when earlier it was right by the tip of his nose. He hits the forward assist twice. Another click and a major flinch at 0:37 because the rifle isn't in battery. Another click at 0:43, only now we keep seeing cartriges ejected with bullets intact. We also see two more hard taps on the forward assist. At 0:56 he inspects the cartridge and sees it has a bullet intact, but it's a little late now. At 0:59 we see 3 more hits on the forward assist. At this point he's hit the forward assist so much, that it's finally gotten the squib round far enough down the bore that the next round will finally fully chamber and go into battery.

There doesn't have to be a loud "pop", in order for it to be a squib. A "click" can be enough to unseat a bullet and get it a little bit into the rifling. The idiot did the rest of the work. He didn't have to work at it too much, otherwise I'd say that there was another possibility. There's always the possibility of bullets being seated too long and a bad primer. When you eject the case, sometimes the bullet will stay in the rifling because it was already "kissing the lands". Either way, that's not the case here and it was a squib. You can say it's improperly trimmed brass all you like, but in other places the whole story has been hashed out.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    This has been posted up here lots of times before with lots more information. It's VERY obvious that this isn't a Vietnam era rifle. The fact that it's flat top should be your first clue without even seeing the hand guard. Your assessment is incorrect, and others in other threads have come forward with more information to verify that. It was a barrel obstruction/squib.

At 0:25 seconds you hear "click", and he ejects the piece of brass. It's hard to tell, especially from the quality of the video, but it looks like it's an empty piece of brass to me. If he was paying attention, he would have noticed that he had a live round laying in the floor with a bunch of empties IF it wasn't a squib. IF he didn't see a live round in the pile, then he would have known that it was a barrel obstruction. The "click" of only a primer going off, can be enough to unseat a bullet and make it start to engage the rifling, and might only sound like a "click". Have you ever heard a suppressed .22, on a bolt action it pretty much just sounds like a "click". That's pretty much exactly how a primer only going off sounds when it's in an enclosed space (cartridge). Later on we hear some more clicks because the rifle isn't going fully into battery, and it's not firing, which is the way it was designed. At 0:35 seconds it's obvious that the charging handle doesn't even go all the way forward, it's almost even with his cheek, when earlier it was right by the tip of his nose. He hits the forward assist twice. Another click and a major flinch at 0:37 because the rifle isn't in battery. Another click at 0:43, only now we keep seeing cartriges ejected with bullets intact. We also see two more hard taps on the forward assist. At 0:56 he inspects the cartridge and sees it has a bullet intact, but it's a little late now. At 0:59 we see 3 more hits on the forward assist. At this point he's hit the forward assist so much, that it's finally gotten the squib round far enough down the bore that the next round will finally fully chamber and go into battery.

There doesn't have to be a loud "pop", in order for it to be a squib. A "click" can be enough to unseat a bullet and get it a little bit into the rifling. The idiot did the rest of the work. He didn't have to work at it too much, otherwise I'd say that there was another possibility. There's always the possibility of bullets being seated too long and a bad primer. When you eject the case, sometimes the bullet will stay in the rifling because it was already "kissing the lands". Either way, that's not the case here and it was a squib. You can say it's improperly trimmed brass all you like, but in other places the whole story has been hashed out.
    Thanks for clearing all of that up and being such an authority about this clip and Vietnam era rifles.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Finster View Post
    Thanks for clearing all of that up and being such an authority about this clip and Vietnam era rifles.
    Tomcat is right. It's not.

Lycantruththrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.