Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good week!

(Berks County)

Default A good week!

I took my daughter to the range, 11. Her first time with a firearm. She has experience with bb guns and such. So safety has been covered, and covered, and covered some more! Worried about recoil because of TV, I assured her a 22 is nothing to worry about. She had a blast! She hit paper at 50 yards just about every shot (250 rounds+) with my Remington 597, scoped. After doing well with that I popped the question! Would you like to try a pistol? She agreed. I loaded one round in my .40 XD Service pistol and let her shoot (after some advice and guidance). Also I kept my thumb out of the way of the action but in the way of a forehead slap. Boom! She loved it! Next was the HK P30. She didn't like that one as much. Oddly it has more recoil (I guess the weight of it). Plus the shell extracted right at her, poor gripping. I explained why and she wants to try again.
    But, now to top off the week, I just got a Ruger Mark III Target. It was inspiring to see a young gun at the range enjoying some quality time and learning safe practice, nulling the guns are bad theory schools teach these days! Now with the Ruger in the mix and her present she will get on X-mas. Enter a new youngster to the most expensive hobby I have ever found! haha.
    Range time just doesn't come enough. Just thought I would share a great experience with father and daughter!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: A good week!

congrats man. I was taught young too, and now my kids will learn as soon as they are old enough. I can only hope my daughter is into it as much as yours is. You are truely blessed.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Butler County)

Good job with the daughter. A hobby you can share forever. Over Thanksgiving we had 4 generations shooting. 5th generation is still alittle young but he was there with "his" ear protection on.

(Philadelphia County)

AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing!

I've got little brothers and I taught them all how to shoot. Great to hear of good ol' American tradition still burning bright. Imho, THIS is America! Parents spending time to educate, teach and raise their children to be productive members of society!!! Imagine that...

Rep sent! (Tell her she has a cheering section in the Lightyear family!)

Oh and congrats dad, I'm sure you walked of the range chin-high.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    Good job with the daughter. A hobby you can share forever. Over Thanksgiving we had 4 generations shooting. 5th generation is still alittle young but he was there with "his" ear protection on.
    Yeah with the holiday I hadn't had a chance to post sooner. Just because they can't shoot yet doesn't mean they aren't learning! Looking forward to it! That is how I was. I am glad for my old fashioned upbringing!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLightyear View Post
    AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing!

I've got little brothers and I taught them all how to shoot. Great to hear of good ol' American tradition still burning bright. Imho, THIS is America! Parents spending time to educate, teach and raise their children to be productive members of society!!! Imagine that...

Rep sent! (Tell her she has a cheering section in the Lightyear family!)

Oh and congrats dad, I'm sure you walked of the range chin-high.
    Of course I did! Surprisingly, so did many other dad's. There were about 15 youths present while we were there ranging from around 8-15 shooting.

(Monroe County)

So does that mean next time me and the boys come over the dining room table will be filled with you, me, her and your other half all cleaning our guns? hahaha

(Berks County)

Update:

I think I found the perfect gun for her. Ruger 10/22. Used 150. Has a rail mounted on it for a scope and a couple other add-on's to be used later.

(Monroe County)

Sounds like a great present for her. Just remember shooting may be expensive but the time you share passing these valuable skills down to your daughter are priceless.

(York County)

Beyond the wonderful benefit of simply being together, these privileges and rewards can be some of the most productive teaching moments in parent-child relationships.

Excellent example of teaching that responsibility is rewarded with trust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast