Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Question Need advice Savage or Marlin

So i went last night and ordered a Savage edge in 7mm08. Get a call today to get told i can't get the savage due to its discontinued. They have replaced it with the axis. No one seems to have an idea when the axis rifles will be available. Due to the unexpected availability issues, The gentleman at the gun store told me about a Marlin xs7. I am curious about the Marlin compared to the new Savage axis. I am unsure if there are any difference's between the Edge and the Axis, besides the name change. All rifles seem to have good reviews, but having a hard time making up my mind, plus i like to hear numerous opinions. This will be my first bolt gun, and will be used for some target/hunting, mainly whitetail possibly elk if i get the opportunity. Any and advice, opinions, first hand knowledge will be appreciated
    Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race! Chesty Puller

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Need advice Savage or Marlin

No first hand experience but everything I've read about the Marlin has been good. I would get one of them in 30-06 and go forth and slay things.

Dale

(Cumberland County)

wait for the savage.... you won't regret it.

I am sure that the marlin will suffice, but I think you will be happier with the savage in the long run. Plus there is more aftermarket support for the savage.

I was deciding between these two rifles just a few weeks ago, and I am glad I decided to go with the Savage Edge.

BTW, I would try to check out your local walmart and see if they have any edge's in stock still. I got mine there for $267.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Child View Post
    So i went last night and ordered a Savage edge in 7mm08. Get a call today to get told i can't get the savage due to its discontinued. They have replaced it with the axis. No one seems to have an idea when the axis rifles will be available. Due to the unexpected availability issues, The gentleman at the gun store told me about a Marlin xs7. I am curious about the Marlin compared to the new Savage axis. I am unsure if there are any difference's between the Edge and the Axis, besides the name change. All rifles seem to have good reviews, but having a hard time making up my mind, plus i like to hear numerous opinions. This will be my first bolt gun, and will be used for some target/hunting, mainly whitetail possibly elk if i get the opportunity. Any and advice, opinions, first hand knowledge will be appreciated
    As far as I know, they're exactly the same rifle, but with a different name. I don't know if there was an issue with the name being trademarked by someone else or what. I assure that Savage just spent a lot of time developing the Savage "edge" rifle, and they haven't come up with something new to replace it. On their front page when the change first happened, in writing underneath the name it said " * formerly known as edge". I'm pretty sure they're identical rifles, but there was some sort of issue with the Savage "Edge" name.

I have a fair bit of experience with the Marlin XL rifles, which means I basically have experience with the XS rifles because they're the same but just short action. They're nice rifles for the money, and they shoot well. They were a better buy when they first came out, then they got a bit of a price hike and weren't quite as cheap as they were before. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but from what I've heard, the Marlin XL and XS rifles have been discontinued. While they're nice rifles, it's something to take into consideration because if it is true, then that would mean that warranties could be effected, and if you ever did need some parts for them, they could be difficult to find.

In terms of the Marlin rifles, I've commented on some other threads about them, and if you'll search the forum with Google, my screen name, and Marlin, you'll probably come up with a couple of hits. I go in pretty good depth on some of those posts and don't really want to type it all out again. If you have trouble finding those threads, let us know and we'll search for them and link them for you. Basically they are some of the best features on some of the most popular and American favorites. They have the barrel nut, free floating bolt head, similar bolt handle and something similar to the accutrigger off of the Savage rifles. They have a safety placement and style of the Remington 700. Right offhand I can't remember if the top of the action is shaped like a Remington 700, or a Winchester model 70, so I don't remember which bases it'll take. I might have said it when I first remembered in one of my other posts. They have the bottom footprint, (possibly top of the action), and bolt release from a Winchester model 70. I honestly like the trigger on the Marlin better than the Savage. If you pull the Savage trigger without depressing the little aluminum part, it makes a click. This won't allow the rifle to fire, which is by design, but if you do try to use the trigger in that state, it won't work. You have to raise the bolt to reset the trigger, and THEN you can fire it as normal. Obviously this isn't something that would happen often, but something that should be mentioned and an issue that people should be aware of so that they don't think their rifle is broken should this happen. On the Marlin rifles, the trigger is a very similar design, but if you don't pull the aluminum piece, the trigger won't move at all. This keeps it from doing the little click, and having to reset the trigger. The main gripe that I have about the Marlin rifles is the stock. It's not great, and not super rigid, but about what you'd expect from most factory offering. The finish on the rifle is nice, although it's nothing fancy, and the stock feels a bit "cheap", but it still works.

The Savage Edge rifles I've seen, but haven't gotten to handle them quite the way that I have Marlins and most other rifles that I get to play with. They look like a good design, and not all that different from the other Savage rifles. They have the main features that have always made Savage rifles accurate, but they cut off a few of the other features, or the ones that took a bit more time or cost in production, so that they can offer the rifle at the price they do. One of the main differences is that the safety, and the Savage Edge doesn't have the "full tang" safety. They also don't have the accutrigger. The trigger is slightly adjustable, but not the way that the accutrigger is. They still have the barrel nut, free floating bolt head, and other features that have made the Savage rifles shoot. A nice feature that they do have is the detachable magazine, which is always a nice feature. The stocks look nice and have good lines, although I'm not sure how much more sturdy they are. They may not be any sturdier or have any less flex than the Marlin stocks, I honestly don't know. I don't really trust many factory stocks to begin with, although with the Edge/Axis, you're not going to just find an aftermarket stock for it either because of the way the recoil lug fits with the barrel.

All in all, the Marlin's are good rifles and are not a bad buy. With them being possibly being discontinued, and the new value that is present in the Edge/Axis, the Axis is hard to beat. I'd probably see if I could find someone that has the Edge in stock. You may have luck searching for someone online tha thas one at a good price and just paying the transfer fee to a dealer. If not, I don't think it'll be long before the Axis rifles are around, probably just having to change around some boxes, instruction manuals, and stuff like that. I don't know this for a fact, but that's my guess, and the fact that Savage's website is down makes me think they're updating and changing some things on it. I wouldn't feel bad or worried about buying a Marlin rifle, but with the Savage Edge/Axis around, that would probably be my pick. I hope this helps you out a bit. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; May 4th, 2011 at 11:39 AM.

(Monroe County)

Yah when REmington took over Marlin they discontinued all the marlins that could threaten the 700, taking over a company is like taking over a country you get to decide what will or will not be produced.

Tne Marlin is a more substantial Rifle, The Edge is a lightweight rifle in a Flimsy Plastic stock.

(Erie County)

The Savage 200 or Stevens 200 are comparable to the edge. Both are a good value for the money and and are hard to beat for the money.

(Westmoreland County)

Thank You for all the advice. I think will prolly be waiting on the savage axis. In the event i am going to go with a different rifle i will prolly choose the Stevens. I am pretty dead set on the caliber i want, i want 7-08. i reload so i know i can find stuff at the gun shows. I'll be going to Washington's in January. I am planning on getting a few boxes when i pick up my rifle and then reload from there. Since the only differences i can find between the axis and Stevens are the stock and magazine, i feel i would be happy with either. I do like the look and the dbm on the axis, thats the original reason i chose it over the Stevens. Hopefully it will be available by the the beginning of the year, that will make me happy.
    Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race! Chesty Puller

(Clarion County)

I have the 200 Stevens in .270 and it's a hell of a gun. It shoots very well and just about any part made for a Savage 110 should fit it (the only difference is the stock as far as I can remember). I haven't owned any other rifles to compare to but I do not regret getting the Stevens one bit. I'm sure you'd be satisfied with it or the Axis/Edge.

(Fayette County)

Marlin makes great rifles. I have a 270 boltaction and a 22 lever. both are accurate at 100 yards and the 270 will drop an elk. I have fired a Savage 300 too. I would say go with your gut on function and/or price.

(Tioga County)

I have just the rifle/caliber that you want to order. Out of the box with Remington 140 gr ammo I got min. 5" groups and with Privi 140 gr I got 3" groups. It wasn't until I started to reload for it that I found a load that will print 1" groups. The trigger pull is atleast 6lbs with no adjustments. The stock is so flimsy that when you squeeze the forearm to the barrel I believe that a two year old can do it and make it touch the barrel. To say the least I am not happy with this rifle and after the first of the year it's going the way of the dodo bird from my house and not another one will be there. They just feel cheap to me. I have handled thew Marlins and I feel that they are a better buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast