Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default 3 gun ar15 optic and ammo carrier question?

What optics do you run on your ar15s for 3 gun? Do you run red dot, 1-4 power variable, or ect? Also what type of ammo carrier do you guys use? I have a vest with kangaroo pouch, but it doesn't seem like it is as fast as the belt carriers for mags.

Thanks for your info
    Jake
    Last edited by shooker8; December 1st, 2010 at 12:53 AM.
    "I quote no authors but God and experience" Principles Osteopathy

(Berks County)

Default Re: 3 gun ar15 optic and ammo carrier question?

I'm new at 3 gun myself. I use a Burris AR-332 with 3X magnification. I was able to hit 8'' by 8'' steel targets at 200yds with center hold. I hold center at a 100yds also. My next AR for 3 gun will have 1.5-5x20mm scope.

Hey man,

don't start shooting 3 gun, it's more addictive and more expensive than heroin!
    But I run an Aimpoint 9000sc on a flat top with BUIS. all the shots around here are usually 10-25 yards and thats the fastest. I can hit out to 300 with it, but it hasn't come up in competition. I also shoot 22lr out of it for practice, and it's spot on to 50 yards or so.

as far as ammo, I suggest you keep it in magazines. it makes reloading that much faster

belt pouches for AR mags are fine, but I've been too cheap to buy any so far, so I just use pockets in my jeans. seems to work fine since they are held in and don't move too much. I will be getting real mag holsters as well as california gun works shotgun holders. BTW, ATOMICDOG on here makes bad ass holsters, mag holsters, AR holsters. I use his Mag holsters exclusively... no it's not a paid endorsement, they are just the best and reasonably priced.

Steve

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    Hey man,

don't start shooting 3 gun, it's more addictive and more expensive than heroin!
    But I run an Aimpoint 9000sc on a flat top with BUIS. all the shots around here are usually 10-25 yards and thats the fastest. I can hit out to 300 with it, but it hasn't come up in competition. I also shoot 22lr out of it for practice, and it's spot on to 50 yards or so.

as far as ammo, I suggest you keep it in magazines. it makes reloading that much faster

belt pouches for AR mags are fine, but I've been too cheap to buy any so far, so I just use pockets in my jeans. seems to work fine since they are held in and don't move too much. I will be getting real mag holsters as well as california gun works shotgun holders. BTW, ATOMICDOG on here makes bad ass holsters, mag holsters, AR holsters. I use his Mag holsters exclusively... no it's not a paid endorsement, they are just the best and reasonably priced.

Steve
    Thanks for the info.

Well in the spring I'm probably going to start shooting 3 gun. I have been practicing and the only party I'm worried about is shotgun. I build a course that I practice on with pistol and rifle. Holding the mags for pistol and rifle is what I'm mostly worried about and trying to figure out a suitable situation for shot gun ammo.

(Lackawanna County)

I run a vortex strikefire with a removable 2x magnifier. Basically a very very good aimpoint clone for a fraction of the cost. I have shot the hell out of it for almost 9 months now and she is still holding perfect zero. The second time i ever shot the gun with it was at a 3 gun match and took 2nd place on the 200yd shooting stage,lost to my friend who was running a 1-4 leupold. I take the magnifier off for stages with quick transition/close range targets.

As for mag pouches, I just run a basic swat style vest with 6 mag pouches across the front.

Good Luck!

(Westmoreland County)

For Multi-gun I have a Meopta K-Dot 1x4 http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/pr...&nav1=2&nav2=3 At 1x it is like having a red dot. The scope have an incrediable FOV at 1x (approx 120 feet)

There is a compact version of this scope coming out in 2011

For mag pouches I run Blade-Tech belt pouches.
    Last edited by hzox221; December 2nd, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Westmoreland County)

Good article by Zak Smith on optics http://demigodllc.com/articles/fight...for-the-ar-15/

(Wyoming County)

I have been doing lots of research and they say that is what most people use. Thanks for the info sir! Would it be worth it to do a 3x9 with side mounted sights?
    Last edited by shooker8; December 3rd, 2010 at 12:23 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by shooker8 View Post
    I have been doing lots of research and they say that is what most people use. Thanks for the info sir! Would it be worth it to do a 3x9 with side mounted sights?
    I would stay away from a 3x9 scope. 1x at 100 yds is ok, 3x at 10 feet sucks. If you are worried about distance, IOR makes a 1.1x8 scope.

I played with a 2x7 scope and iron sights mounted at a 45 degree, it worked but not as fast as an 1x scope. Adding a cattail to the Meopta speeds up transitioning from 1x to 4x.

(Wyoming County)

So looks like an ideal setup would be a heavy barrel ar15 , 1-4 power scope, flared mag well, and lots of bullets to practice.
    Last edited by shooker8; December 3rd, 2010 at 02:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast