Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Looking to buy an AK-47 or 74.

Hello all, this is my first post as I am a very new member.

I'm looking into the AK world. I was really dead set on getting a 74 but am slowly realizing that I would take either a 74 or a 47. As with anyone, I'm trying to keep within my budget and would really only like to spend about $500 maximum. Like I said before I've done all kind of research on SARs, WASRs and CAI sporters. Seems like the people who have bad things to say about century are either people who have had their firearms years ago, or have never shot or owned one at all. Being that people who have/had owned them have little to no bad things to say about them. I've looked down the road of an Arsenal and it's out of my price range. I've also looked at Saigas and conversion, although like the Arsenals, are out of my budget. I guess what I'm asking is for some reviews or advice on AKs within my budget. One thing I see about the CAI that I'm looking at:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun74.aspx?utm_source=streamsend&utm_medium=ema %20il&utm_content=9297321&utm_campaign=FREE+SHIPPI NG+%20and+SAVE+$100+on+Bulgarian+AK-74

is that they don't have chrome lined barrels and that could be an issue when shooting corrosive 5.45. But do I have to worry about chrome lined if I were to run this through it? http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...ame/545x39-fmj
    Or in the case of a 47, non corrosive 7.62?

Any and all advice will be much appreciated, I have looked through the rifle section of the forum and searched for AK information on this site and couldn't seem to come up with exactly what I was looking for, although there is quite a bit of AK information on here. Sorry if I didn't look hard enough and you guys are thinking "another AK wanting-doesn't wanna search for information guy"

Another thing I failed to mention was that I DO NOT plan on using this for home defense. I have a Mossberg 500 to take care of that deed. I am just looking for a range gun/plinker to have fun with.

I'm not just limited to Sars, WASRs, or CAI rifles, but I couldn't seem to come up with anything else in that price range. Like I said, thank you in advance for any information or advice I get, it is much appreciated.

Justin
    Newby.

Default Re: Looking to buy an AK-47 or 74.

I have a Century Bulgy 74 that I bought at a show for $325. It's a fun gun to shoot & my wife has actually adopted it as "her" rifle. She finds it much easier to operate than the AR's.

I shoot Wolf non corrosive ammo in it, but have 2 spam cans of the corrosive stuff stashed away for "emergencies." Using the corrosive surp ammo is OK as long as you flush the bore, etc with water or Windex to get rid of the salt that's used in the primers. After that, clean & lube as usual & you shouldn't have a problem.

Century is known for spotty quality control, so I'd like to actually handle a Century gun before buying. In fact, I want to actually see any gun that I'm buying, especially an AK.

The AK, either 47 or 74 is a good economical gun for plinking or HD. Buy lots of ammo & spare mags.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

Assume you started here...

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/912...uld-i-buy.html

Suggest one of the "Romy" AKMs; SAR or WASR. Mainly because they are dirt cheap and so if you decide you do NOT like the platform, you are not out of a lot of money.

If you DO like the platform, there is always a market for a bargain AK as a starter AK or trunk-gun, so you can then sell it and move up to a nicer build - like a Yugo.

If 5.45x39; hunt down a SAR2/CUR2/WASR2 - again; cheap - BUT with factory chrome-lined barrels to help in the war on corrosion from mil-surp 5.45 ammo.

Regardless, eyeball the AK before you buy unless the seller will take it back and refund/replace; a lot of bargain Romy's made it into the USA with crooked sights and gas blocks.

Have fun!
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    =
    If you DO like the platform, there is always a market for a bargain AK as a starter AK or trunk-gun, so you can then sell it and move up to a nicer build - like a Yugo.
    I"m going to convert my WASR to a trunk gun (cheapest of the AK's I own). I'm going to be adding a folding stock and tuck it into a tennis racket bag that is padded. Pockets on sides to hold mags. Discreet while in your vehicle. Yet there is you would need it.

Welcome to the AK club. But be warned. They can be addicting and you may find yourself owning more than one.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Monroe County)

FFighter welcome to the wonderful world of the AK, On your Budget the WAsr fit the bill , its a good gun and runs very close to the original Soviet design.

You spend $150 more and get a Century Yugo M70 series, great Gun i might add.

If you insists on a Chrome lined barrel you might have to Chinese as most of the East European Guns are not Chrome lined.

In any case the Wasr's are a great gun just be prepared to tinker a little , e.g the front sight might be canted , no biggie really .

Let us know what you get.

Here is a picture of my Yugo M70 and a picture of my British L1A1, both are Century Guns and both are spot on from day one no problems at all, the L1A1 is over 10 years old and never a problem after thousands of rounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Centre County)

Well, believe what you want.
    My Century Tatal(AK74) was nicest looking POS.
    Just search "tantal keyholing"

And CAI were saying everything from we are using wrong weight projectile to wrong twist rate to go as far as to say that 5.45x39 was actualy designed to keyhole. I mean they were saying everything, but "Sorry, we f'd up!"

And this was not "years ago". This was last summer! And they are still selling the same garbage!
    it was good until barrel heat up(after 2 or 3 mags). then it went all crazy.
    Mine didn't keyhole little either.

It sure was nice looking rifle tho...

People specurated as to what was causing it. Best explanation I got was that the bore was infact sized for 5.56, instead of 5.45. Original Polish barrel was chromed, and Century skipped chroming the bore, there for bore was too big once heat expansion took place

With that being said, everything else I got from CAI was great(Other then small things like FSB canted and stuff). I got Yugo M70 recently with intention to get rid of it as soon as i let my dad shoot it. Thing works so good, and accurate, I changed my mind and keeping it.
    Last edited by Mity2; December 1st, 2010 at 04:08 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Monroe County)

i bought a WASR 10/63 that was a range rental gun for a good 6-9 months before that with who knows how many hundreds, if not thousands of rounds down it. it hasnt done me wrong at all. no jams, misfeeds, keyholes. nothing. the front sight block is canted but ever so slightly. doesnt really effect shooting it. for the price, and for a starter AK, you cant beat it. ammo prices are back down to roughly $5 a box of 20. which isnt great like it used to be, its better then most. 5.45 is even cheaper, but its almost always milsurp thats corrosive. big deal, clean the gun after shooting. i do that anyway.

of course i had to customize mine a bit. i find the AK stocks to be a bit short. after i did that i figured i might as well finish off the job and put it how i wanted it.

(clickable thumbnails)
    from this

to this

overall ive got less then $450 invested in the gun, and its an absolute riot to shoot and show off.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    And this was not "years ago". This was last summer! And they are still selling the same garbage!
    it was good until barrel heat up(after 2 or 3 mags). then it went all crazy.
    Mine didn't keyhole little either.

it.
    thats insane!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    thats insane!
    It is. So sad, that the gun itself was perfect. Not too heavy, not too light, nothing canted, finish was perfect, no slappieness, folding stock was tight, but not too tight, ammo was cheap.
    Never FTE or FTF. Goes bang each and everytime.
    It just didn't shoot good.
    Would have been a great gun, as long as I didn't go through no more then 2 mags at the time.

My CAI Yugo M70AB1 I got is a great gun. my Folder is bit too tight, and front sight base is ever so slightly canted, but otherwise great gun.
    And its just under $500 too...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lehigh County)

WOW! Thanks for all the responses so far. So it seems like everyone agrees about one thing about CAI rifles; that they're hit and miss with issues. Just seemed like more often than not, people got the good and not the bad. Since lower cost AKs like the ones being discussed could have issues, most people suggest visually inspecting the rifle before purchasing, ie.(not buying it off the internet). In that case, what are some of the dealers you's have bought your AKs from? I'm in Coplay, PA, a small town about 5 miles outside of Allentown. I'm willing to drive about an hour or so if it means getting a decent AK and/or a decent selection of AKs in this price range. Yous have also caught my interest with the yugo M70 as well. These are better quality? Also, the WASR 10/63 seems to be somewhat hard to find at a good price. Found this: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1CAKGPWASR

BUT they're sold out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast