Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Looking for Dummy rounds

Looking for Dummy rounds. The only problem is I need a lot of them for my Platoon to practice double feeds. I will be buying this personally so most of them I have been looking at are ether to expensive to buy in the amount i need or are completely plastic and have bad reviews.

So if anyone has a better option that I can buy for the cheep.

or

I was thinking about making my own. getting used brass and going to someone that can help me reload them with no primer and no powder. Just a brass case and a bullet. What are your guys thoughts?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Looking for Dummy rounds

What caliber are you looking for? I advise against using what looks like real ammunition, it is risky and without benefit. When you say platoon are you referring to a military or police unit?

A-Zoom snap caps are a bit on the pricey side, yet they would be ideal for this type of practice. I also do not advise practicing just "double feeds" as they are a rare occurrence. The most frequent malfunction is the failure to eject or the failure to feed. Here is a relevant video regarding handguns:

Make sure you are teaching the right way to do the drill, otherwise you will be doing a huge disservice.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Anderson View Post
    Looking for Dummy rounds. The only problem is I need a lot of them for my Platoon to practice double feeds. I will be buying this personally so most of them I have been looking at are ether to expensive to buy in the amount i need or are completely plastic and have bad reviews.

So if anyone has a better option that I can buy for the cheep.

or

I was thinking about making my own. getting used brass and going to someone that can help me reload them with no primer and no powder. Just a brass case and a bullet. What are your guys thoughts?
    This is what I use. Although I don't think it will replicate a double feed. More like a dud round...or worse, pop/no kick. If that happens, not sure you want to automatically chamber another round and pull the trigger.

Army used to have dummy rounds with indentations along the side so you knew it was a dummy round. check with the armorer and see if they have any squirreled away anywhere.

(Washington County)

Sounds good thanks.

(Allegheny County)

This past year I taught a John C Garand CMP course at our club. I needed about (40) 30-06 dummy rounds. What I did was take spent 30-06 casings and drilled a 1/4" hole through two sides of the cases (so they wouldn't hold powder and could easily be identified as dummy rounds, painted the necks and primer area white, left the "spent" primer in (to protect the firing pin), and loaded up some old .30 cal heads. I made it mandatory that no ammo was permitted in the training area and issued clips that were marked to identify for training only. I also made sure that everyone followed the basic safety rules. If I did it again I would just paint the whole cartridge orange. The cost was nominal, used free cases, a little paint, and the heads.

I may be able to help you out (I'm assuming .223). How many do you need?
    Last edited by Hawk; November 30th, 2010 at 02:21 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    This past year I taught a John C Garand CMP course at our club. I needed about (40) 30-06 dummy rounds. What I did was take spent 30-06 casings and drilled a 1/4" hole through two sides of the cases (so they wouldn't hold powder and could easily be identified as dummy rounds, painted the necks and primer area white, left the "spent" primer in (to protect the firing pin), and loaded up some old .30 cal heads. I made it mandatory that no ammo was permitted in the training area and issued clips that were marked to identify for training only. I also made sure that everyone followed the basic safety rules. If I did it again I would just paint the whole cartridge orange. The cost was nominal, used free cases, a little paint, and the heads.

I may be able to help you out (I'm assuming .223). How many do you need?

That is same thing I was thinking about I would probably need 60-100

Yes it would be 5.56/.223

Having no real ammo anywhere near this stuff is not a problem they only give us real stuff on the range and this would be done in the armory on drill weekend.

(Delaware County)

I got mine from www.letargets.com http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=ST-223

they are winchester brass with a orange plastic projectile. I've had them for a while and had multiple students run them through without any issues.
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lprgcFrank View Post
    I got mine from www.letargets.com http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=ST-223

they are winchester brass with a orange plastic projectile. I've had them for a while and had multiple students run them through without any issues.
    With the time, trouble, and expense of making them from components, this is definitely the better way to go.
    Toujours prêt

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by OPSSGM
    Mr_Anderson, I am assuming your are in the Guard and need these for your Troops. I have about 100 dummy rounds from my range training. They are used and some do cause a double feed due to not extracting. Send me an address and I will ship them out.
    I would personally like to send a big tanks out to OPSSGM for donating some dummy rounds to be used by my National Guard Unit.

Rep inbound

(Luzerne County)

OHHHHHHHHHHHH.. THAT kind of dummy round... I thought you were talking about Fat Eddie.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast