Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Dunhams wont accept driver license update card

My bro has been drooling over the WASR's for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger since they're only $350 right now. So he goes to Dunhams, picks one out, starts doing the paperwork, and they hand him back his drivers license and address update card and tell him they can't accept that. WTF? I have no idea why, but he put the gun on layaway instead, i guess hoping to figure out some way to resolve this in the meantime.

I told him to go back and demand they call PICS and ask them, or alternatively, email the ATF, print the response and take it in to management. I would have told him to tell Dunhams to fuck off and deal with CAI and firearmtransfers.net, but he already put it on layaway and would have to forfeit his money down. Any other suggestions?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Dunhams wont accept driver license update card

I recall seeing this in a few other threads and it's just their corporate policy. The individual store manager has no authority to do anything about it, that much I know. Your brother can stretch out the layaway over several months until his DL is updated though. All he has to do is pay a small amount every month and they'll keep it active. Two months is no problem, three is do-able if he tells them what he's doing. They'll work with him that way and he won't lose his money. They're still the cheapest game in town for new WASRs so it might be worth the hassle, plus he gets to pick one in person versus luck of the draw online.

(Allegheny County)

what i don't like is that they waste your entire day with their foolish transaction rules!
    MORDENTE MEUM

I'm curious, as I am not really familiar with PA drivers license stuff.

Why can't he just go and get a new drivers license reflecting the new address?

Do you NEED a drivers license to purchase a firearm? What if you just don't have one? Prohibited?

He should be able to go to a PADOT office and get a new licence with the proper address with out a hassle, not sure what a 'regular' license costs for a replacement/correction
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

I think what they are doing is BS! How ever if it is there corporate policy then he has to find away around it. I would just go renew my licence for $36.00. (last I renewed) Then I would do no further business with the store!

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs down Re: Dunhams wont accept driver license update card

Dunham's - FUDD retailer of the century, so far.

WHICH store location, just out of curiosity?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post

Do you NEED a drivers license to purchase a firearm? What if you just don't have one?
    You do not need a DL.
    I have neither a PA DL or a PA ID.
    The PICS call can be done with just a LTCF.

037 PA Code § 33.102. Definitions.
    Identification

(i) Includes the following documents, which shall be accepted by dealers:

(A) A valid photo driver’s license.

(B) A valid government-issued photo identification card.

(ii) To be acceptable, a government-issued photo identification card shall contain the holder’s name, date of birth and signature. If it does not contain the holder’s current address, another document containing that address such as a current utility bill, residential lease agreement, mortgage, and the like, shall be presented.

(iii) If the applicant is a member of a religious sect or community whose tenets forbid or discourage the taking of photographs, dealers shall accept a valid without-photo driver’s license, or a combination of three of the following types of identification. If none of those three contain the applicant’s current address, the applicant shall have another document containing the name and current address such as a current utility bill, residential lease agreement, mortgage, and the like.

(A) A valid government-issued identification card.

(B) A birth certificate.

(C) A Social Security card.

(D) A valid Pennsylvania license to carry firearms issued under section 6109 of the act (relating to licenses). To be accepted as a valid Pennsylvania license to carry firearms, a license issued after July 1, 1998, shall be on a form identical to the one prescribed by the State Police.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Chester County)

The management should be apprised of the following on-point citations:

037 Pa Code§ 33.102 as posted above by Kadar (rep sent for finding it) whereby PA is directing its state licensed gun dealers that they MUST take the DL/update card combination:

Identification—

(i) Includes the following documents, which shall be accepted by dealers:

(A) A valid photo driver’s license.

(B) A valid government-issued photo identification card.

(ii) To be acceptable, a government-issued photo identification card shall contain the holder’s name, date of birth and signature. If it does not contain the holder’s current address, another document containing that address such as a current utility bill, residential lease agreement, mortgage, and the like, shall be presented
    and from the ATF perspective, refer them to:

ATF Ruling 2001-5
    "ATF has received questions from licensees regarding purchasers who present a State-issued driver's license or other identification document that shows either an out-of-date residence address or a mailing address (such as a post office box) in lieu of a residence address. ATF has advised that these identification documents, standing alone, would not satisfy the requirements of the regulations implementing the Brady Act.

It is ATF's position that a combination of documents may be used to satisfy the Brady Act's requirement for an identification document. The prospective transferee must present at least one valid document that meets the statutory definition of an identification document; i.e., it must bear the transferee's name and photograph, it must have been issued by a governmental entity, and it must be of a type intended or commonly accepted for identification purposes. ATF recognizes, however, that some valid government-issued identification documents do not include the bearer's current residence address. Such an identification document may be supplemented with another valid government-issued document that contains the necessary information."
    http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulin...ng-2001-5.html
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Dunham's - FUDD retailer of the century, so far.

WHICH store location, just out of curiosity?
    McKnight

Everyone, thanks for the advice. I forwarded him the info on using the LTCF, and the PA code and ATF info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast