Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Where to start in M1 shopping?

So Ive decide to launch my WWII rifle collection and figured what better piece than an M1 to kick things off. If I go the Garand route I'll use CMP but Im curious on the Carbines. I dont really have the money, or the need for a rare or immaculate M1 but is there a certain company that I should be on the lookout for or one that I should avoid? Just browsing through GB there seems like dozens of manufacturers.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Where to start in M1 shopping?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle H View Post
    So Ive decide to launch my WWII rifle collection and figured what better piece than an M1 to kick things off. If I go the Garand route I'll use CMP but Im curious on the Carbines. I dont really have the money, or the need for a rare or immaculate M1 but is there a certain company that I should be on the lookout for or one that I should avoid? Just browsing through GB there seems like dozens of manufacturers.
    I purchased both my Garand and my Carbine from CMP. From what I see on their site now - they are dried up ! I am a novice, but I knew to stay away from the newer knock offs and stick with GI ones. I got a nice National Postal Meter because I wanted one that was a little "different". I think it's the underwood that are the most available. If I get another one, I'll probably look for one that's a little less popular like Rock-ola or a middle of the road one like Saginaw. Most you see are mixed though from refinishing from what I can see. They are very easy to disassemble. Mine from CMP was great hardware but wood needed some work. With some denatured alcohol and some 0000 steel wool, followed by boiled linseed oil - it looks great. Good luck on your hunt !
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have one of each, both from the CMP. The CMP is out of M1 Carbines, and unlikely to get more in the near future, but plenty of carbines are still available through other sources.

I have not heard of any "bad" manufacturers of either carbines or garands. Which ever you buy will most likely be a "mixmaster" of multiple manufacturers. The manufacturer quoted when someone has one for sale will usually refer to the receiver and possibly barrel. But stocks and other parts are very likely to be a mix.

If you like the "story" of one manufacturer, go ahead and try for a particular one. Otherwise, maybe you just want to go for a garden variety inland, and spend the extra money on one that is in better condition.

All USGI carbines were manufactured during WWII. Garands were spread out over a much longer period... they were manufactured from during WWII until after Korea. So if you want one that could have seen action, you need to be more particular of what it's serial number is.

The garand and carbine are very different from each other in shooting character. The carbine is a very fun plinker. Comfortable to shoot, lightweight, cool looking. The garand is an heck of a beefy piece of machinery.

If you are looking to shoot at greater than 100 yards, the garand is a better choice. If you want to be able to shoot at indoor ranges, the carbine is a better choice. Ammo is less expensive for the carbine. There is reasonably priced new production ammo available for the carbine. ($0.40 a round is easy to find) New production ammo for the Garand is in the $1 a round range. Military surplus is in the $0.50 a round range.

CMP is the place to get an M1. I was out there a few months ago & they had plenty of SA, Winchester & H&R M1's.

The Service Grades will likely have parts from different manufacturers. This is not at all unusual & it's not because the gun was pieced together from spare parts. When a platoon comes back from the range, the guns get stripped & everybody's parts would go in a bucket of degreaser. When the guns were reassembled after cleaning, you just used whatever bolt, op rod, etc. that you got ahold of & used it.

The Correct Grade has mostly original parts. These guns were most likely used in very small units, Embassy Duty, small guard units, etc., so the parts didn't get mixed up.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Bucks County)

if you don't mind the drive surplus city guns located in feasterville, pa has garands starting at 375 up to 700. if you're looking for a shooter grade garand you can't beat the prices at surplus city guns. worth the drive if you're less than two hours away.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    if you don't mind the drive surplus city guns located in feasterville, pa has garands starting at 375 up to 700. if you're looking for a shooter grade garand you can't beat the prices at surplus city guns. worth the drive if you're less than two hours away.
    According to Google Maps Im 5hours away. I'll have to swing by there when I head to Philly this spring though.

(Cumberland County)

Hit the gun shows too, usually many to be found. I would look for one with good metal and not worry too much about the wood as long as it's intact and not cracked, broken, etc.. Like I mentioned, the rifle is very easy to disassemble, and bringing the wood back to life is pretty easy. For my next one, I'm going to look for an ugly one (wood) that has that great metal and hope because of the ugly wood it is cheaper - then just refinish the wood - maybe you can find one of those ? If a novice like me can turn ugly wood into a beauty, anyone can

(Bucks County)

The CMP route is the best way to go. You can't get a better deal. Since you are in western PA, you are within reasonable driving distance of their store at Camp Perry in Port Clinton, OH. That way you can pick your own from racks of them on display. Watch the CMP forums for info on how the stock is there and when they are restocking. Some guys have picked up real gems and they are always posting up reports on trips to the store.

You can also watch the CMP for sale boards. They have some good deals on there but they often go fast. You can get Garands or Carbines that way.
    Et Tu, Brute?

(Perry County)

I got a Garand from CMP a few months ago and it awesome! Looks almost brand new too (well the stock is brand new anyway).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54347670@N05/5034479951/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54347670@N05/5034479949/