Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LTCF question

(Fayette County)

Default LTCF question

I received my LTCF about 2 weeks ago. I got the reduced and laminated version with my picture, but also the larger paper version. Do I need to carry both or can I leave the paper one at home in the lock box? I was just thinking if I lost my wallet or it was stolen and I had the paper copy at home I would still have proof and not lose both.

I did a search and apologize ahead of time if this has been covered, I think I am search deficient because I don't have much luck finding things on this site, .
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: LTCF question

Coop,

First, your search deficiency isn't as bad as you may think. The search feature sucks.

I can't imagine why you'd need both copies.

Actually, I am amazed that you HAVE two.
    It continually amazes me to hear how the processes, forms, and such, vary so much from county to county.

Also, does anyone know if the actual LTCF that you carry in your wallet is uniform throughout the state?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Jefferson County)

Only the paper LTCF is uniform across the state. The plastic card types are subject to each issuing body's printing equipment. The plastic cards are representation of your actual LTCF(the paper card) and are honored around the state.

You are allowed to copy/reduce your paper LTCF and carry only the copy. Many Sheriffs around the state even suggest doing so, they will also do it for you. Sheriff Nau of Centre Co only issues the paper(last time I checked) - and his office recommends that a copy+reduction+laminate is made of the issued paper LTCF and the original kept in a safe place.

(Allegheny County)

HaHaHaha!!! My confusion deepens!

WHAT paper LTCF?

I only have a plastic card. That's it. nothing more. (and the surface is wearing off a bit... I hope it lasts another three years!)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Fayette County)

Thanks folks.

I am in Fayette county and the sheriff's office reduced & laminated it for me, I think they charged me $1 extra, but also sent the paper copy. I think I will just carry the plastic one like I have been doing and keep the paper copy at home in case I ever need it.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Only the paper LTCF is uniform across the state. The plastic card types are subject to each issuing body's printing equipment. The plastic cards are representation of your actual LTCF(the paper card) and are honored around the state.

You are allowed to copy/reduce your paper LTCF and carry only the copy. Many Sheriffs around the state even suggest doing so, they will also do it for you. Sheriff Nau of Centre Co only issues the paper(last time I checked) - and his office recommends that a copy+reduction+laminate is made of the issued paper LTCF and the original kept in a safe place.
    Actually since there are several counties, Berks amongst them, that do not issue the paper LTCF it is NOT standard throughout the state. I often wonder if there is any standardization at all in regard to LTCF in Pa., other than having to get one to be considered legal anyway.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    HaHaHaha!!! My confusion deepens!

WHAT paper LTCF?

I only have a plastic card. That's it. nothing more. (and the surface is wearing off a bit... I hope it lasts another three years!)

The paper LTCF that your Sheriff retained in a file. The actual LTCF is a paper card, your plastic card is only a representation of it. When a LTCF is issued, (3) copies are made: (1) goes to the PA St. Police, (1) is retained by the Sheriff, (1) goes to you. ... if the Sheriff has opted to use plastic as an option or replacement - you get a plastic card instead. However, the actual license is a paper card - by law.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 19th, 2007 at 02:27 PM. Reason: grammar fix'n

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Actually since there are several counties, Berks amongst them, that do not issue the paper LTCF it is NOT standard throughout the state. I often wonder if there is any standardization at all in regard to LTCF in Pa., other than having to get one to be considered legal anyway.

Just because what you received doesn't match what Joe Smo in the next county gets doesn't mean it isn't standardized. The actual license is the same across the state, prescribed by law and the PA St. Police is the controlling author of it's design. The Sheriffs are allowed to issue a copy of the original paper or use a plastic card at their discretion. Some have gone to it, some haven't. From what the deputy said when I got my plastic card, I questioned why it's plastic, he said, "It's valid, a copy is as good as the original so long as the original is valid. ..that includes the plastic ones 'we' issue. The actual license is paper and is kept on file."

It is up to the Sheriff and Co. Commissioners to come up with the money to use a plastic card. ...the cost of the printing equipment, software, digi-cam, training comes out of the Sheriff's or County budget. If they cant afford it, or dont wanna pay for it - you will get a paper copy of the actual license.

(Lancaster County)

FWIW

I've received LTCF from York and Lancaster County - Neither gave me a paper copy - and both card copies were very different.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    It is up to the Sheriff and Co. Commissioners to come up with the money to use a plastic card. ...the cost of the printing equipment, software, digi-cam, training comes out of the Sheriff's or County budget. If they cant afford it, or dont wanna pay for it - you will get a paper copy of the actual license.
    Or they raise the fee...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast