Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Amassing my arsenal :)

In a couple months (no more than 10 but hopefully sooner) I intend to buy ALL the basics. I have been waiting a long time for this b/c my mom hates guns, and my dad doesn't trust himself (BAD temper). So basically once I have PA residency I'm going to town.

I intend to buy:

24-gun Fireproof Safe - $650

Savage Mark II-F in .22LR - $195
    1,000rd .22 ammo - $70

Century Arms WASR-10 - $400
    AK 75rd drum - $100
    Yugo SKS - $200
    20 Stripper Clips - $10
    1000rd7.62x39mm ammo - $200

Saiga-12 - $450
    2 20rd drums - $340ish
    12ga ammo - $100 = 250 rd target ammo and ?rd #00 buckshot

Gun Cleaning Kit - $50

Ear/Eye Protection - $100

TOTAL - $2865

Is this about right? Any suggestions? Am I forgetting anything essential?

I've been saving my money since I was about 15 for a purchase like this and even though it's 5-10months away I'm excited and I figured I should ask someone with more experience than me. My grandfather will be helping me out with the inspection of the weapons since he's former military and an avid hunter/shooter.

My goal is to have a well rounded first purchase. I figure a shotgun is a must for hunting, a .22 is a must for plinking, the wasr-10 is cool and I want it , and the SKS would be good for hunting and is a nice step up from a .22.

I'm undecided on the shotgun though and may go with a mossberg pump, I'm mainly worried about the saiga being banned.

Let the opinions flow.
    Last edited by jon'76; November 19th, 2007 at 10:21 AM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Amassing my arsenal :)

You can get 1,000 rounds of .22lr ammo for alot less than $70. About $30 at Walmart will get you 1,000 rounds. You don't need to shoot expensive ammo out of that Savage.

That's all I got... I don't know much about the other rifles/shotguns.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Chester County)

you wont be hunting in pa with that sks, no semi-auto hunting here

(Westmoreland County)

Yep, as mentioned above...no hunting with those guns. You may want to get something like a Remington 700 rifle for hunting deer and maybe a Mossberg 500 pump for small game.

(Blair County)

For hunting, I would go with a Mossberg 500 or Rem 870 (i'm not opening that can of worms of which is better, I'm a biased mossy owner) over the Saiga-12.

That being said I do really enjoy my Saiga-12, but for a hunting shotgun, you'll have to find a 2rd mag (gilberts guns in Ky) and only get 3 shots as per the game laws. At that point the larger capacity of the Saiga is a moot point (guessing capacity is why you want it hence the MD-20s).

The Savage is a good choice, I put a Bushnell 3x9x40 on top of mine. Makes me dangerous to squirrels now. The groundhogs down at the farm didn't like me either
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Wayne County)

Talking Re: Amassing my arsenal :)

For hunting you should look into a Savage Package Series they come with a scope mounted and are reasonably priced. Mossberg 500 is a great choice for a shotgun and you can change out barrels easily and is less expensive than Remington. As for the AK I can't help ya there I'm an AR guy but the AK will run through hell and back in almost any situation. You should also check out a 17 HMR instead of a .22lr I have a Savage in 17 and its very accurate and cheap to shoot and a buddy of mine hunts small game with one and swears by it.

also remember saiga-12's dont come with the pistol grip, you will either need to convert it, or buy a converted one if you want the AK look to it.

(Adams County)

Perhaps add a gun to carry. If you plan to get your LTCF and carry one.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Philadelphia County)

I'm not 21 yet, but when I turn 21 I have my eye on a Glock 21. I'm a big guy so I'm hoping I can conceal it. If not I'm going to go with the medium frame Glock in .45. I know alot of people dislike glocks for first time pistol carriers, but I'll probably get it a bit before I turn 21 so that I can get in some practice.

I was considering something small as backup, but I don't think it's necessary. If 2 magazines of .45 doesn't stop someone I'm running like hell and crying not going for a bug.
    Last edited by jon'76; November 19th, 2007 at 03:02 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post
    I'm not 21 yet, but when I turn 21 I have my eye on a Glock 21. I'm a big guy so I'm hoping I can conceal it. If not I'm going to go with the medium frame Glock in .45. I know alot of people dislike glocks for first time pistol carriers, but I'll probably get it a bit before I turn 21 so that I can get in some practice.

I was considering something small as backup, but I don't think it's necessary. If 2 magazines of .45 doesn't stop someone I'm running like hell and crying not going for a bug.
    Don't just go for whats cool or what sounds like a good round. Try out pistols. Take pistols in your hand and see how they feel. If you get really lucky, you can find someone who will let you shoot the different pistols to see how they feel for you. Put time into it. For me, the Glock's grip was a tad too short...just a centimeter or two, but it was enough that my pinky wasn't completely on the grip which could have resulted in an instability. But you won't know by just looking on a website or a magazine. Head down to the pistols forum and chat it up down there as well. I put more time and research into buying my carry piece than I did into any car I've ever owned and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast