Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Saiga 12 vs. Mossberg 500/590

I was wondering what most people would suggest as a first gun?

I'm tempted to purchase the Saiga and 2 20 round drums just in case they get banned or restricted, but the price is much heftier at 800ish (including the 2 20rd drums).

Do you guys think there is a good chance of them (or the magazines) being banned soon?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Saiga 12 vs. Mossberg 500/590

Don't be afraid to buy the Saiga-12 for fear of it being banned. If this weapon gets banned, it won't be the only one...
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Blair County)

Well Jon what do you plan on doing with your first gun?

Hunting?

Home protection?

Something to go bang at the range?

I have a 500A, 590, a stock Saiga-12 and a converted Saiga-12.

I take the 500 skeet/trap shooting and hunting in the fields. The 590 pulls "behind the door" duty and the Saigas are more "fun at the range" to me. That being said I have a 2rder so I can hunt with the Saigas and I took them skeet shooting a handful of times. I personally had problems with hitting airborne targets with the Saigas. I couldn't imagine swinging the 590 for skeet since its a brick of a gun.

If ya got any specific questions I'm home all week and I can take pictures/ provide more help to ya just drop me a line.

Mossy 500A was my first gun
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Allegheny County)

Ah...
    The great "what will the future hold" insecurity.
    First i am glad to hear you are thinking of purchasing your first shotgun. I purchased my first shotgun about 5 months ago. It was a mossberg. I absolutely love it. I have found a passion for trap and 5 stand (I'm really not good at ether one, in fact i suck but i have a great time). I got the mossberg cause i was told that it was a great first gun because of its durability as well as versatility. When i bought it i got the field/security combo. Like i sais i LOVE it. It was a solid purchase and a great introduction to the world of shotguns...
    Who knows what the future will bring. Guessing what the demo's will do if they get elected or what the anti gun rep's will do is like guessing where the stock market will be in one year one month one week and one day....
    With that being said i do believe that if the liberals take power the will be going after our gun rights. There is a chance that they will try and ban the "evil" shotgun you would like to get. If you have the money you can view it as an investment in the future. I feel like it is fairly safe to say that the mossberg will not be banned in the near future. Its one of them "good" and "safe" hunting guns that the liberals will let stay...for now...
    So jon'76 what I'm trying to say to you is get whatever gun you really want. if you can get the Saiga go for it (and don't feel bad if your reasoning is a bit paranoid or its just cause you want to own something that can dump that much ammo at one time...F*** it you only live once). But if you want a gun for hunting or clay shooting i would say go with the mossberg its relatively cheep and it stands up to much abuse....
    Also ScoutJoe will be able to tell you allot more than me about the workings of both guns...thank you for enlightening so many of us that are new to shotguns SJ.
    Last edited by Autonomous; November 19th, 2007 at 07:14 PM. Reason: misspelling