Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Barista shoots, kills robber in Oregon

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...oots_kill.html

Dutch Bros. barista shoots, kills robber in Eugene
    Published: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 1:30 PM
    Updated: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 10:33 PM

Brent Hunsberger, The Oregonian

UPDATED 1:30 p.m.: Police in Eugene are investigating an attempted coffee-shop robbery Wednesday night that ended with an exchange of gunfire and the barista shooting and killing one of the suspects.

Authorities say that around 9 p.m. Wednesday, two men tried to rob the Dutch Bros. Coffee kiosk in the 2100 block of Franklin Blvd. near Walnut Street. One individual forced his way into the shop while the other stood outside, Lt. Doug Mozan said.

An apparent struggle ensued inside the kiosk, Mozan said. The coffee-shop employee shot the robber, who died at the scene. The second suspect fled.

Police identified the dead robber as Sirus Combs, 27, of Eugene. He has a past criminal history, including a weapons charge, court records and police say.

Police continue to decline to identify the employee. Mozan said this afternoon that detectives had not yet interviewed him.

Department spokeswoman Melinda McLaughlin said an exchange of gunfire occurred and that more than one weapon was involved.

"There was only one employee and one suspect involved in the shooting," Mozan said. "As to how the second weapon got there, I don't know."

Travis Boersma, co-founder of the Grants Pass-based coffee chain, declined comment until police complete their investigation.

Angie Galimanis, a spokeswoman for the company, said the company has a policy prohibiting employees from carrying firearms at work. Galimanis said at least one robber was armed.

Police are looking for the second robbery suspect. He is described as a white male, 20 to 30 years of age, standing 5-foot-10 with blond hair and medium build. He was last seen wearing dark jeans, brown hiking boots and a dark, zip-up, puffy coat with a fold-down collar. Anyone with information can call 541-682-5836.

Combs pleaded guilty in 2008 to a felony charge of attempting to elude police, according to Lane County Circuit Court records. He also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of driving under the influence and unlawful possession of a firearm.

Dutch Bros., one of the nation's largest privately held coffee shop chains, has 156 locations in seven states.

-- Brent Hunsberger

All I can say is YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Too bad one of them got away. I bet he's a habitual miscreant as well.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Barista shoots, kills robber in Oregon

Oh my God, i'm so glad this gentleman survived this ordeaL and will be able to go home to his family, albeit without a Job, in any case you can always get another job but you can never get another life.

I hope they catch the other scumbag soon.

My letter of thanks:

Travis Boersma
    Co-founder
    Dutch Coffee L.L.C.
    332 NW 6th St.,
    Grants Pass, OR 97526

December 5, 2010

Dear Mr. Boersma:

I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to you and your organization for your actions regarding the recent unfortunate events in Eugene at the kiosk on Franklin Boulevard.

I firmly believe that self-defense is a God-given right, and I would have been horrified to have learned that your barista lost his job in protecting himself. Whatever it is that you may yourself believe to be the nature of the Divine, you have shown yourselves to be both decent and charitable in not only allowing your barista to stay with your company, but in also according him and his colleagues time to try and get this tragedy behind them.

Were that I could only frequent your establishment to show my appreciation for your decency, charity, and, above all, common sense, but living on the East Coast fairly places me outside of your possible regular clientele.

Thanks again. As a coffee drinker, as a person who believes in the true purpose of the Second Amendment, and as a person who has been involved in shooting sports for twenty-five years, I am most appreciatively and

Sincerely yours,

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Oh my God, i'm so glad this gentleman survived this ordeaL and will be able to go home to his family, albeit without a Job, in any case you can always get another job but you can never get another life.

I hope they catch the other scumbag soon.
    Not the case. Read up:

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms...ng-barista.csp

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Bravo to Dutch Brothers - I'm not a coffee drinker, but am glad the gentleman won't get canned on top of what's going on.

Well done, gents - well done....
    SIG Sauer, S&W M&P and Mossberg 930 Armorer