Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: hunting lease

(Cumberland County)

Default hunting lease

hey guys just wanted to find out some info on hunting land for lease...i did a google search and came up mostly empty handed... myself and some good friends are considering trying to lease some property for the upcoming hunting season. just kicking the idea around but not sure where to start searching. if anyone has a web site or knows anyone or maybe some of you are leasing land or need some more people to go in with you let me know. how many of you are a part of land leasing,clubs, camps etc?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: hunting lease

Well I cant speak for your area but in my area...GOOD LUCK. If you wanted to get hunting leased land your best bet is to start early in the season, and also start local if you have the option. There are a lot of farms and such down this way and if you offer them a couple hundred per head for all fall/winter and some meat if any is harvested they are normally pretty cool about it. Some will just say yes out right without any offerings of money or meat, especially if you are friendly with a farmer or land owner. My advice is, make friends with some farmers or land owners next spring, and offer some money or benefit to them and maybe you will get lucky.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Cumberland County)

well that was my plan(to ask local farmers). i have no problem throwing them money. we usually do that when we hunt geese in lancaster, we give all the days kills to the farmer. here in the mechanicsburg area there arent too many local farms per say....my buddy saw a 1200 acre hunting lease in cambria county up to 10 hunters at 600 a piece from the entire year, from signing date that is. im trying to plan this for next hunting season but would like to get scouting right after this season. i currently hunt in cumberland county 4b but im not really happy with whats been going on. soo im in search of new areas. wish me luck i guess.

(Lancaster County)

Yea the deer pop down here is good but you gotta find them in non posted land before you can shoot em! Yea me and a few of my buddies were looking into leasing land upstate farther because we are getting tired of hunting public land and getting our tree stands stolen and messed with...don't get me wrong...there are some nice places to hunt down here in 5b...but people around here can be....extremely intrusive so to speak...haha

(Venango County)

Why not just ask permission to hunt on the land? What really Pisses me off is when 10 guys go together and lease 100 acres I've been hunting on all my life, then put up Posted signs. This just happened to me this year and It will still be a sore point until the signs come down. I realize the landowner is trying to recoup some tax money, but he still would have allowed people to hunt by permission.Only a total idiot would pay 600 bucks to get 1 deer. What is that in price per LB? This State has some fine Game Lands and I guess I'll hunt there this year. I AIN"T payin anyone to hunt deer.
    You know why a banana is like a politician?
    When he first comes in he is green, then he turns yellow and then he's rotten.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: hunting lease

got land in 5c

(Cumberland County)

i would generally not pay someone as well. and who's to say you only get one deer? if you get one buck and 2 doe tags that would be 3 kills. i hate gamelands. too many people, as said above there are tons of punks and my equipment is too expensive to be stolen. not to mention i like knowing who is hunting around me and how many guys there are. i don't want some idiot shooting at me because he thought i was a deer or a turkey. i would rather know where everyone is and who is out there. hunted game lands once and never again, at least not around here that is. im sure there are plenty of you out there that only hunt game lands and i say to each his own. i was just looking for a different seen and new area . i have hunted the north mountain hardwoods for 10 years now and am tired of the same old place. i am not saying i wont ask some farmers for permission, i am just new to the idea of leasing and was not sure how many of you did it or where to get info on it.

(Lancaster County)

I hunt gamelands because I don't have much choice. I will be the first to say that IF I had a chunk of land that was big enough and decent enough to hunt on I would...And I would also put up posted signs too. I hate when people push in on my hunting spots...it happened in archery season when I was hunting public land and it RUINED my first day. I hope that doesn't happen again on the first day of rifle, but if it does I have two or three other spots scouted...Public land though in places may offer great hunting, is too sucseptable to being theft prone...because it is exactly that...public.