Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 122 123451151101 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Tobyhanna SGL Range Reports

I'm opening this thread to collect feedback from people who use the Tobyhanna Range. Just a brief report of what took place while you were there, good or bad. This way, we can attempt to keep a running record of what goes on there and how to get the best use of the range for ourselves. Hopefully it will also be a way for us to get to know each other and possibly arrange mutual outings in an effort to participate IN FORCE against the elements that threaten our fun and safety. Please, try to keep it on-topic.

Sample Reports:
    Saturday, November 27 10am-1pm
    Range crowded, mostly with dangerous idiots.
    Saw the following violations taking place...
    Waited 15 mins for a spot on the line.

Monday, November 29 8-9am
    I was the only one on the range. Great day of shooting.

Maybe if we start taking down license plate numbers with a description of vehicle and corresponding idiots we can develop a database of habitual offenders and get them KICKED OFF for good - at least get them straightened out. Just an idea...

Thanks in advance for your help and participation.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Tobyhanna SGL Range Reports

Saturday, November 27 2010
    4:15-4:45pm
    Just before the range closed, got a few pistol rounds in.

Rifle range was crowded, I don't use that side much. Only intermittent shots heard from that side, seems like people were sighting in.

On the pistol side, one guy with a .22 RIFLE, shooting way more than the 3 round limit, rapid firing. Trying to "get rid of his ammo". 25 yd bench. Another group of 3 guys with a medium sized pistol and an AK-47, 30 round clip. They were only shooting about 6 rounds at a time out of the pistol, shooting way over the limit with the AK. No rapid fire. No sweeping or other dangerous behavior. 50 yd bench.

Before leaving, I *politely* informed them of the cartridge limit laws and actually walked them over to the posted laws and regulations just so they could see for themselves. They were all grateful and thankful, courteous and polite.

I'm going to be doing some research on the use of rifles on the pistol range. I don't care too much about the 50 yd bench but rifle shooting at the 25 yd bench concerns me. I have no idea whether it's allowed or not on either bench. It's not really posted in the rules.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by PoconoJo View Post
    ...... I'm going to be doing some research on the use of rifles on the pistol range. I don't care too much about the 50 yd bench but rifle shooting at the 25 yd bench concerns me. I have no idea whether it's allowed or not on either bench. It's not really posted in the rules.
    Yeah, this bothered me too for awhile. When I asked I was told that it's permissible to use the 25 yard range for initial, 'sight-in' shots with a rifle - especially when that rifle is fitted with a scope.

I'm there a lot. As long as nobody's doing anything dangerous, I don't really care what goes on. The one thing that does, 'get to me' though is when someone hangs his targets from the frame's top cross-member and, then, proceeds to shoot the target frame to bits. THAT does bother me.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
    Yeah, this bothered me too for awhile. When I asked I was told that it's permissible to use the 25 yard range for initial, 'sight-in' shots with a rifle - especially when that rifle is fitted with a scope.

I'm there a lot. As long as nobody's doing anything dangerous, I don't really care what goes on. The one thing that does, 'get to me' though is when someone hangs his targets from the frame's top cross-member and, then, proceeds to shoot the target frame to bits. THAT does bother me.
    I have seen this happen and private clubs too!

(Wayne County)

I've only been to the new range once, I'm assuming that when people refer to the Handgun side of the range they mean the left side.... Is there an official sign that says this, if not than I would say Rifles or Handguns are allowed on either side...

I spent an hour or so up at Tobyhanna today, 1/1/11, with my son-in-law during the course of visiting family nearby. We arrived a little after 1400, and departed right at 1530. The pistol range was fairly stuffed with people, but the rifle range had lots of open benches.

We started out shooting rifles. There were two other groups of people on the 50 yd range, and we took up a spot on the 100 yd range. Everyone was good about range safety. No one monkeyed around with their gun while people were downrange - I watched very closely.

Shortly after we arrived, the pistol range cleared out completely. When we were done with the rifles, we moved over there, arriving at the same time another man and woman showed up. Again, range courtesy and safety were good, and he seemed to know what was expected for a cold range while targets were hung up, checked, and taken down again.

It has been a while since I have been there, but I was gratified to see that someone pried loose all the shooting bench seats and repositioned them so that people can actually use them now. It was much more comfortable sitting and shooting this time.

(Monroe County)

Glad to hear that, thanks for the report.

Haven't been there myself in a while, maybe I'll make it over this week.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Monroe County)

was up there yesterday playing around with the .22 with a few coworkers who were breaking in their new to them M1 and SKS. some assholes on the pistol side were doing full mag dumps non stop. we went over and yelled at them, but they continued anyways. they eventually ran out of ammo and left.

and on a side note, we stopped at Baby Brunos pizza down the road on the way out. ordered a pie, and the 4 of us played our hand at Trophy Hunter while we were all OC.

when we got the pie served, the counter girl came over to me all nervously and asked if could please cover up "that thing" as she pointed at my M1911, because as she put it "there might be children that come in here, school just let out"
    of the 4 of us that were OC, only i got asked to cover up. must have been because they had tupperware glocks on them. only my M1911 was evil enough to frighten the children. heaven forbid.

so Baby Brunos in Tobyhanna on 611 connected to the gas station is not so OC friendly. and asshats still populate the range in tobyhanna.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Monroe County)

Had a not so great experience here a few weeks ago. While attempting to zero optics and my irons on a new AR a gentleman of approx 60 years of age decided to educate me as to the rules (which I am already well aware of and abide by). The gentleman came toward me with a evil look on his face and began to turn red and scream. "Those things aren't allowed here, if the game commission is called you will get arrested"...I always adhere to the ammo limit and all other rules...also I HAD NOT EVEN FIRED A SHOT YET! So I politely explained to this guy that he was wrong and continued what I was doing. Sooooo...Dufus begins scambling for something in his truck and emerges with pen and paper to copy my vehicles reg#. NOW, I'm getting annoyed but simply continue my business.....Asshat pulls his truck behind mine as if blocking me in and picks up his cell phone stating that he is calling the Game Commission. OK jackass...you win...politely I walk over and "badge him"...and again very politely say "listen, if you want to waste their time go ahead...I am well within the rules and as safe as humanly possible". I don't know who he called but after waiting for 20 minutes with this NUT glaring at me with utter contempt and hatred in his eyes, I packed up, told him to move his truck or I would arrest HIM...and left. I didn't even flip him off as I drove off...I had been polite to this screwball the entire time and he just became more and more insane with anger/contempt...This whacker obviously believed he was some type of "rule enforcement officer"...Don't know what his issue was but he acted like somebody had raped him once with an AR...To this day I don't know how I was able to keep my cool...

(Wayne County)

Ah come on you should have waited for the Game Warden. What kind of truck did he have? I`m retired and I have nothing to do all day.

Page 1 of 122 123451151101 ... LastLast