Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Tobyhanna SGL Range Reports

I was able to make it up to the range today. Everything was clean. I did not make it to the rifle range but the handgun side was fine with solid wood and tacked up gray backing.

There was no unsafe behavior but their was a father with several of his kids and wife. They were very safe but originally brought out a shotgun and a box of birdshot. I told him of the single projectile rule and he put it away with nothing but a "didn't know, no problem". Unfortunately about half hour later when I was leaving I saw him pulling the shotgun case out in my rear view mirror. I did not know who you call to report this stuff so I let it be. Anyone have a number to call for whoever enforces the range regulations.

(Monroe County)

Is there any restriction about using steel plates behind targets at the range?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross11988 View Post
    Is there any restriction about using steel plates behind targets at the range?

That's a no-go. You can only shoot paper targets hung on their backstops.

(Monroe County)

Haven't been up there since the summer time. Hope to get up there soon tho.

(Carbon County)

i go up all the time, i never had any problems. but, because of the cold i am always the only one there most of the time. in the summer you get a few ya hoos, but normally not to bad

I was visiting my parents today, so my father and I took a ride over to the range to do some pistol shooting. There were a few people on the rifle side, but we never went over there. There was one man on the pistol side mining for brass. Anyone who has shot in the snow knows hot casings melt right down out of sight. In any case, he was picking up his empties when we arrived. We struck up a conversation, and had a very nice talk with one another. He seemed to be fairly well experienced at shooting and safety matters. He was also very well informed on matters political. I gave him a flier, and told him about this site. I explained that there was a lot of good information, although he would have to wade through the morons to get to it. He seemed to understand that about internet discussion boards.

Just as we were getting ready to shoot, another gentleman showed up and started unpacking his gear. Again, he seemed to be an experienced shooter, and exhibited good safety practices. As he was unpacking, he produced a Ruger 22/45. I walked on over and showed off my Mk II Competition Target. We talked about Ruger .22s and carry .45s for a while, and then all commenced to banging away with our respective guns.

Not too long after that, some kid showed up with his girlfriend. He came close to sweeping us a couple of times, but not close enough to say anything. I watched very closely. I did have occasion to speak to him firmly though. Just about the time the one man was popping a mag into my Ruger to try it out, the boy just waltzed on down to his target without even saying a word to anyone. I yelled for him to stop. He turned to me with an attitude, and wanted to know why he couldn't go down to his target. The man with my Ruger said, "We don't want you to get shot".

We then had a group discussion on range safety. I told the young man that the range needed to be cold before anyone crossed the firing line, and explained what cold meant. I said that more people were shot with unloaded guns than with just about any other kind. That mystified him. He could not understand how that could be, and said so. The other man said, "It is because people get shot with guns they think are unloaded. Every gun is always loaded, even if it is unloaded." We made the kid go back, clear his gun, and lock the action back. I explained that when people went downrange, no one touched a gun, a magazine, or anything else. That is how people keep from being shot at the range. He was a little defensive at first, but once he saw we were not being nasty to him, he took it pretty well.

Overall it was a good afternoon there, and we got to educate a couple of people. I hope they took it to heart.

(Monroe County)

I thought I recognized that bellowing voice. I was up there today on the 50 yard line with my coworker rocking the 22 bolt guns after a failed morning of rabbit hunting.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    I thought I recognized that bellowing voice. I was up there today on the 50 yard line with my coworker rocking the 22 bolt guns after a failed morning of rabbit hunting.
    There were a couple guys there with .22 rifles when we arrived, so it must have been. I didn't realize I hollered that loud.

I don't know about you guys, but I could get my limit on rabbits just about every day with my truck. It's like they wait until they see me coming to hop out in front.

(Monroe County)

For those that didnt know...Just an FYI.

BOARD APPROVES STEP TO PROTECT GAME COMMISSION SHOOTING RANGES

The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners today gave final approval to a regulatory change to require State Game Land shooting range users to possess either a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtaker license or purchase a range permit. In doing so, the agency is taking a step toward accomplishing the twin goals of having unlicensed persons contribute toward the cost of maintaining the ranges, and better quantifying and controlling the use of the shooting ranges.

“Over the past few years, the Game Commission has made large investments into its 29 State Game Land shooting ranges across this Commonwealth,” said Carl G. Roe, Game Commission executive director. “These investments have taken the form of lead remediation, safety barrier reconstruction, shooting range redesign and other related projects. These investments came at a high cost, but kept many shooting ranges open and available to the public.

“Historically, hunter and furtaker license dollars have provided most, if not all, of the resources for keeping the agency’s shooting ranges open to the public. Additionally, the open use of State Game Lands for shooting activities by those not licensed has resulted in some situations where ranges and State Game Lands have been used for illicit activities.”

The new regulation requires all users of State Game Land shooting ranges to possess either a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtaker license or a Game Commission-issued range permit, which would cost $30 per year for residents and nonresidents. Exceptions to this permit requirement are those 16 years of age and younger properly accompanied by a licensed or permitted person 18 years of age or older, and each licensed hunter or range permit holder could have one guest.

[B]For the first year, all permits will be effective from April 1, 2011, until June 30, 2012. After the first year, each permit issued will be valid from July 1 until June 30.

Permits will be able to be purchased through the Game Commission’s “The Outdoor Shop” on the agency’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us). Following the purchase, which will require payment by credit or debit cards, a downloadable permit will be provided and permittee’s may print it on a home computer. The agency also will be able to sell the permits through its Harrisburg headquarters and six Region Offices. However, since the purchase will be processed through “The Outdoor Shop,” only credit cards will be able to be used for payment.

The regulation also prohibits all other target shooting from taking place on State Game Lands, except at designated ranges. The regulatory change will not result in any increased cost or change in privileges for licensed hunters and furtakers.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...e__016_11.html
    Last edited by PADingo; February 18th, 2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: s/p

Quote Originally Posted by PADingo View Post
    BOARD APPROVES STEP TO PROTECT GAME COMMISSION SHOOTING RANGES
    I am not a big fan of more fees from governmental agencies, but in this case I think it is a good idea. I am a big fan of user fees for just about anything and everything that costs money. If people want to do it and it costs money, they need to be the ones who pay. The big hassle here will most likely be last minute shooting outings with other people who won't have a pass. At least at my local club, we can get a day pass when we arrive. I sort of doubt Smokey Bear is going to be standing around to hand out passes for anyone.

Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast