Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Default Re: Updated Directive 137 - one page, take this with you to Philly

Quote Originally Posted by Fetus View Post
    I'm Not Carson but can answer for you. Here. it's A Big change from just a few years ago. I keep a copy on my phone.

https://www.phillypolice.com/assets/...7-Firearms.pdf

A LTCF authorizes its holder to carry any firearm, so long as the firearm complies with state and federal law. The firearm is not required to be owned by the LTCF holder themselves.
    a. §6108 Crime Code - A person in possession of a LTCF may carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in the city of the first class (Philadelphia). This would include rifles such as the AR-15 and AK-47, which may only be carried openly.

a. If a person has a valid LTCF issued within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or any reciprocating state, that person may OPENLY and VISIBLY carry a firearm in the City of Philadelphia (or concealed).
    B. Police encounters with a person openly carrying a firearm:
    1. In light of applicable case law, officers must be aware that the mere act of openly and visibly carrying a firearm alone, is insufficient grounds to justify an investigatory detention (See Commonwealth v. Hicks, 208 A.3d 916 (Pa. 2019)).
    a. This also applies to radio calls where there are no facts indicating criminal wrongdoing, other than merely carrying a firearm.
    2. Officers shall bear in mind that there is no standard of suspicion required to engage individuals in mere encounters. However, when doing so, individuals are under no obligation to comply with or reciprocally engage an officer. They are free to remain silent and/or walk away at any point.
    Useful answer

(Philadelphia County)

Right. I'm aware of the current directives. Just wanted to see what the old one was because apparently some public servants are still using the old directive as a way violate people's rights because they assume that certain people from certain areas are ignorant of this information. So I'm just familiarizing myself with the out dated directive in case I encounter any problems and need to take legal action.

Quote Originally Posted by cbdresources View Post
    How do I access the attached file for this post? I'm doing some research regarding a video posted on youtube of a guy having his rights violated because he was in North Philly. https://youtu.be/rL5nKAT3_GA
    Didn't the guy in the video not have a valid LTCF? Or were the cops lying at the end of the video when they said the LTCF had been revoked?

(Philadelphia County)

Who knows what part the police played in that revocation bit. But a lot of unlawful stuff took place that's not gonna go over well in court. The unlawful stop, search and then physically seizing the ID without consent. If the ltcf was revoked and the permit unit can't prove they attempted to notify the holder, then that's another strike.

(Philadelphia County)

for anyone who remembers the stop and video( now removed ) mentioned in this thread ( post 54 ) and was curious ... the guy was found not guilty a few months ago . I was actually surprised by this as he had an assault case from the same period and kept dancing around the circumstances in which the LTCF was revoked in the comments and in the original video made a statement to the PPD undercovers like " you don't need my ID you all know me down there " and they took this to trial despite the apparent unlawful detainment( and I know for a fact the prosecutors are aware of the case law (Hicks ) at this time ) .. So i thought there was more to the story.

(Delaware County)

Warms my cockles.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetus View Post
    I'm Not Carson but can answer for you. Here. it's A Big change from just a few years ago. I keep a copy on my phone.

https://www.phillypolice.com/assets/...7-Firearms.pdf

A LTCF authorizes its holder to carry any firearm, so long as the firearm complies with state and federal law. The firearm is not required to be owned by the LTCF holder themselves.
    a. §6108 Crime Code - A person in possession of a LTCF may carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in the city of the first class (Philadelphia). This would include rifles such as the AR-15 and AK-47, which may only be carried openly.

a. If a person has a valid LTCF issued within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or any reciprocating state, that person may OPENLY and VISIBLY carry a firearm in the City of Philadelphia (or concealed).
    B. Police encounters with a person openly carrying a firearm:
    1. In light of applicable case law, officers must be aware that the mere act of openly and visibly carrying a firearm alone, is insufficient grounds to justify an investigatory detention (See Commonwealth v. Hicks, 208 A.3d 916 (Pa. 2019)).
    a. This also applies to radio calls where there are no facts indicating criminal wrongdoing, other than merely carrying a firearm.
    2. Officers shall bear in mind that there is no standard of suspicion required to engage individuals in mere encounters. However, when doing so, individuals are under no obligation to comply with or reciprocally engage an officer. They are free to remain silent and/or walk away at any point.
    Junior

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567