Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yet another I think Im looking to buy an AR thread

Well, Im looking at an AR platform, AR15 in 223. Id like to use it as a target/sport rifle that can also pull HD duty, with the intention of possibly trying a 3 gun event eventually. Im not looking to spend alot of $$$ initially as my intention is to build up the rifle as I build up my skills and get attachments for it as I see the need for it. Ive been looking at the DPMS models, found one at local fun store for about $799.

From what Ive been seeing online, the AR platform is what is widely used for multi-gun events. I have seen bolt action events, but as Id like a multi-purpose weapon, Im probably more inclined to semi.

Would like some direction, so thanks in advance!

(Washington County)

Default Re: Yet another I think Im looking to buy an AR thread

I would look at a Mid length 16" with a free float rail. You could go with a low profile gas block or Font Sight post.

Some good manufactures are DD, BCM, Colt and LMT. Cant go wrong with any of those. But they are going to cost a little more than that DPMS.

If it was me I would buy one of those uppers and build a stripped lower.

(Berks County)

I'm getting into 3 gun shooting myself. My next build will be a .223 with a 20'' upper. I've noticed the better shooters are using 20'' uppers with 1.5-5x20mm scopes. I already have two 16'' AR's, .223 and 6.8.

(Elk County)

How much are AR threads these days?

(couldn't resist)

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by JMIS View Post
    I'm getting into 3 gun shooting myself. My next build will be a .223 with a 20'' upper. I've noticed the better shooters are using 20'' uppers with 1.5-5x20mm scopes. I already have two 16'' AR's, .223 and 6.8.
    ..or 18" guns with the full length gas system. The guns are reliable and shoot softer than the carbines. In most instances the 20" guns transition just as fast as the 16" guns.

Red dots are fine to 50 yards, but most variables will spank them at distances longer than that.

You won't see as many quad rails or vertical foregrips in competition. They look cool, but they aren't usually too fast on the clock.

Lycan3gunrocksthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    ..or 18" guns with the full length gas system. The guns are reliable and shoot softer than the carbines. In most instances the 20" guns transition just as fast as the 16" guns.

Red dots are fine to 50 yards, but most variables will spank them at distances longer than that.

You won't see as many quad rails or vertical foregrips in competition. They look cool, but they aren't usually too fast on the clock.

Lycan3gunrocksthrope
    Not to hijack but any suggestions on 18'' uppers?

(Allegheny County)

Depending on your other needs: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...0%20vtrx13.htm
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Lancaster County)

If you are going to get one, I highly recommend getting the Stainless Steel .22LR drop in conversion by CMMG. You'll save a boatload on ammo and still have a lot of trigger time.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lawrence County)

The Bravo Co uppers look pretty good, but with the bolt group you're looking at over $900......not exactly a steal. Heck you can buy a $1145 Clark Gator upper and have it guranteed to run AND shoot .5 moa. Clark used to give $100 discounts to USPSA members so that brings the price down to just $150 more than the BC upper.

Realistically, we can do better.

I build all of mine off of the 18" White Oak barrels. All mine have shot under .5 moa with handloads, but with a 1:7 twist they are not prime for most cheap shelf ammo. At $275 for the barrel, $100 for an upper, $150 for a bolt/carrier pack, a cheap floating handguard and basic gas block......well, you could put together an upper that could run in any national match for under $700....and that probably includes a serviceable Miculek brake. I know you said you were going to "buy" but that extra $200 you save would purchase the vise and tools to build your own.

If that's not an option, White Oak makes 18" varmint guns on the cheap ($595). Back in the day, they would do some custom work like adding M4 ramps and threading the barrel for you. Call and ask.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

And.....honestly.....almost any reputable non-chromed barrel that is free floated should shoot 1 moa with handloads. Even my Model 1 lightweight kit would do that when it was new. That leaves a lot of money to buy a good trigger and brake....two things that are going to let you shoot a lot faster on the clock.

Lycansomanyoptionsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Thanks for the input all. Was away visiting family and only had internet via iphone (almost impossible to type on for me).

I found some stripped down lowers for $129. Will need a trigger kit and a grip for it. What should I be looking for in stripped down lowers, or does stripped down mean bare bones? What constitutes bare bones?
    Last edited by spacemanvic; December 1st, 2010 at 12:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast