Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default What to expect when applying for a LTCF in Phila?

I'm eventually going to make the trip down there and apply. What should I expect in terms of wait time, interview, and so on? Anyone with previous experiences?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: What to expect when applying for a LTCF in Phila?

I applied for my LTCF in Philadelphia about 6 weeks ago. I entered the building at about 8:20 and waited outside the office door, which opened promptly at 8:30. Upon entering, you sign one of 2 lists - one for new applications and one for LTCF pickup.

After about 10 minutes of waiting, my name was called from the list (I was the only one on it at the time) and I sat down with the interviewer (not sure if she was LEO or civilian employee). I presented all my paerwork. It is important that you have all pages, including reference sheets (I know this makes people's blood boil) and instruction pages.

I was then asked several questions, most of which appear on the application but there are a few that don't. They ask about previous arrests, expungements, if you have ever discharged or drawn a firearm at a place other than a range, unpaid parking tickets, and even tattoos. The lady who did my interview was very pleasant and I answered all of her questions cadidly.

Following the interview, you are asked to initial the answeres that are recorded to make sure that they are accurate. I was especially careful to make sure that mine were recorded accurately. She then told me that I should expect to be notified in about 8 weeks.

I then waited for another 5 minutes and was called back to be fingerprinted. This took a couple minutes. The lady who fingerprinted me told me that I should expect to be notified about approval or denial in about 8 to 10 weeks. I was then on my way. The whole process took about 35 minutes.

I am still wating to hear. I will keep you posted if you are interested. Good luck with your application.

(Montgomery County)

The interviewers at the Philadelphia "Gun Permit Unit" are police officers. I am on my third LTCF from Philadelphia and the process was as described above.

A note on references, anyone can fill them out. The last time I was down there about 6+ months ago when my significant other was getting an LTCF a woman asked me to fill out a reference, which I happily did. She was applying that day and did not have hers filled out. I would fill out a reference for anyone that asked.

I have this hankering suspicion that Philadelphia makes individuals wait 8 weeks for little to no reason for their LTCF's. Why? Because they can, and do.

Philadelphia hands out an additional document when one picks up his/her LTCF. This document is full of inaccurate and absurd information. Spend some time reading here and learn the law and your rights, it is time well spent.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nessman View Post
    I applied for my LTCF in Philadelphia about 6 weeks ago. I entered the building at about 8:20 and waited outside the office door, which opened promptly at 8:30. Upon entering, you sign one of 2 lists - one for new applications and one for LTCF pickup.

After about 10 minutes of waiting, my name was called from the list (I was the only one on it at the time) and I sat down with the interviewer (not sure if she was LEO or civilian employee). I presented all my paerwork. It is important that you have all pages, including reference sheets (I know this makes people's blood boil) and instruction pages.

I was then asked several questions, most of which appear on the application but there are a few that don't. They ask about previous arrests, expungements, if you have ever discharged or drawn a firearm at a place other than a range, unpaid parking tickets, and even tattoos. The lady who did my interview was very pleasant and I answered all of her questions cadidly.

Following the interview, you are asked to initial the answeres that are recorded to make sure that they are accurate. I was especially careful to make sure that mine were recorded accurately. She then told me that I should expect to be notified in about 8 weeks.

I then waited for another 5 minutes and was called back to be fingerprinted. This took a couple minutes. The lady who fingerprinted me told me that I should expect to be notified about approval or denial in about 8 to 10 weeks. I was then on my way. The whole process took about 35 minutes.

I am still wating to hear. I will keep you posted if you are interested. Good luck with your application.
    I counted at least 5 violations of state law

anyone else catch more?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    I counted at least 5 violations of state law

anyone else catch more?
    To clarify what Jon is saying, he is speaking of Philadelphia's "Gun Permit Unit" violating state law. Yes, Philadelphia ignores the state law yet still abides by some portions of it. This is the way it is, for now.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chvyrs90 View Post
    I'm eventually going to make the trip down there and apply. What should I expect in terms of wait time, interview, and so on? Anyone with previous experiences?
    What to expect when applying for a LTCF in Phila?
    What you should expect is lawbreaking.

Both the applicant requirements and issuing authority duties are found in approximate totality through 18 Pa.C.S. § 6101 et seq. and Title 37, Part I, chapter 33 of the Pa.Code. Here are the pertinent sections:

18 Pa.C.S. 6109(b):
    (b) Place of application.--An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply to a sheriff for a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about his person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. If the applicant is a resident of this Commonwealth, he shall make application with the sheriff of the county in which he resides or, if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city.
    I'm going to pause for a moment and comment on how horrible that subsection is. The first sentence should read 'an issuing authority' rather than 'a sheriff', and this type of mistake is found throughout § 6109 and the Pa.Code.
    18 Pa.C.S. 6109(c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police.
    18 Pa.C.S. 6109(e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. . ..

18 Pa.C.S. 6109(g) Grant or denial of license.--Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis of the investigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of the information contained in the application. If the sheriff refuses to issue a license, the sheriff shall notify the applicant in writing of the refusal and the specific reasons. The notice shall be sent by certified mail to the applicant at the address set forth in the application.
    18 Pa.C.S. 6109(h) Fee.--
    (1) In addition to fees described in paragraphs (2)(ii) and (3), the fee for a license to carry a firearm is $19. This includes all of the following . . .
    . . .
    (3) An additional fee of $1 shall be paid by the applicant . . .
    . . .
    (5) The fee is payable to the sheriff to whom the application is submitted and is payable at the time of application for the license.
    . . .

Read more at
    http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...6109/licenses/
    http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...-firearms-act/
    http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/03...chap33toc.html

Let my boil this down:
    The General Assembly demanded the PSP design a one-page form to carry out the provisions of the UFA related to licensure that would be used by EVERY issuing authority in the state. The PSP designed that form and actually makes the printed forms available to issuing authorities. That is the application.
    The law above states that a license must be issued or denied within 45 days of the receipt of the application, which can be read to include the fees as provided for in subsection (h). There are no other requirements on the issuing authority set out in the law, nor the applicant.
    So, when Philadelphia adds requirements, like fingerprinting, interviews, extra pages, denials outside of the enumerated reasons in subsection (e)(1), they are operating completely outside of the law. The chief of police (and sheriffs of other counties) would have no power to issue licenses to carry firearms had the power and duty not been provided by the legislature, and so their power is limited by the grants in law such as found in 18 Pa.C.S. 6109. Because we cannot find a grant of power to do all of these things Philly does, the only explanation is tyranny.
    Of course, Philly thinks they trump not only the constitutions but the legislature, so you will have to accept a LTCF denial, an appeal through their administrative system, all the way to Commonwealth Court at the very least to see this issue fixed, and a failure to carry it that far could cause you to be barred from reapplication (in Philly) for a year, depending on how you read a certain provision (which I thought was in 6109 but I can't find at the moment?) and left with a denied license.

That's what you should expect.

In other words, expect to bend over far and not be offered any lube.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    In other words, expect to bend over far and not be offered any lube.
    So you're saying if the OP wants to get this done smoothly, he should bring in a nice big bucket of Astroglide, and leave it there for the other patrons?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    So you're saying if the OP wants to get this done smoothly, he should bring in a nice big bucket of Astroglide, and leave it there for the other patrons?
    I'm sure we'd all prefer the applicant to take the "Rape-aXe" route, which would include my aforementioned relief route plus applicable suits for damages.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nessman View Post
    And it's a good thing you were candid.

The reason they ask those questions has little if anything to do with determining your suitability for a LTCF.

The reason they ask is to get you on record with multiple statements, and if you lie about any of them, they can summarily reject your LTCF application.

In other words, it's a trap, a way to manufacture a reason for denial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast