Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Got my hunting license, without taking the safety class...

Buck - thanks... I grabbed the booklet from the archery store today... they had some extras laying around left over from their class they held 2 weeks ago. I went out on Monday with no intention of shooting anything (my location wasn't the best), and I was using a borrowed WWII gun that I didn't particularly like.

I still need to get my 110 sighted in and then we'll go from there. My guess is all of the bucks are MIA where the family shoots.
    Simon

(Cambria County)

Thanks for posting this SimonTuffGuy, I am also new to hunting and I admire your honesty. I will be in the class looking like a dork at 36 years old, but it's the right thing to do. I have a long history with firearms as well, but I am a noobie to hunting, so I look forward to anything that I might learn.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776

(Wyoming County)

I have taken and sat through 6 hunter/trapper safety courses.. three of my own and three for my kids.. not one of them was all kids taking the class..

Should you hunt without taking the course? Absolutely not! Not because you haven't got the little piece of paper but because if you are not willing to put in that much effort honestly I dont want you in the woods... Maybe you know all about guns, handled them all your life, Or maybe you dont really know crap and you just might hurt yourself or somebody else..

I have almost been killed in the woods twice by idiots carrying guns. And as far as I'm concerned asking someone to take a few hour safety couse so they can run around with a loaded gun is a very small price to ask.. If your unwilling to pay it then do us all a favor and stay out of the woods..

(Delaware County)

Took the class this week, 3 hours Monday, 3 hours Tuesday & 8.5 hours today. PASSED, one question wrong that I had correct and changed to the wrong answer.

[/QUOTE]

(Westmoreland County)

There is so much bad information on this thread, but also alot of people urging the OP to take the class. You really should. It is the law.

There are HTE classes going on all over the state RIGHT NOW. Go here to sign up.

http://www.hte.state.pa.us/eventcalendar.aspx

All HTE classes are at no charge and the the classes are generally made up of 75% youth and 25% adults.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Cambria County)

Ah, I have almost missed the boat with this one! Cambria county ony has two more classes, I missed the one that was taught by a friend of my wife and I. The problem is that I work in MD and there has been a ton of over-time available, so I have been in the Peoples Republic of Maryland for the last 28 out of 32 days. I actually just got in 1:20am. It has been real nice to read all of the new posts that have been written.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776

(Chester County)

Simon- take the course. Even if you have a license, technically you still need the course to make the license legal. If you look on the Game Commissions' website, you'll find dates and locations of courses. Most will have a spring and a fall date, and there is no charge for the course.

Our next course at Elverson Rod & Gun is April 16/17 & 19th. We encourage adults to take the course, if only for a refresher.

You'll learn tons of useful info and get to meeet and talk to a bunch of other hunters. Good luck.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234